Resale value in regear

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
just curious if this is a mod that will have value in resale?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Nope.

Well, thatā€™s the short answer. The long answer is, it depends on who you sell it to. If you find someone who would want to have the higher gearing, it may be more of an incentive to them, but it will be worth much less than what you will put into it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve had my larger tires on for awhile and just replaced front bumper and added winch and I rarely see 8th gear and have no intention of doing gears as I was told by the guy that did the work on my JL that I would never recoupe the $$$ unless I did the work myself

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
If resale value is what matters to you, I wouldnā€™t recommend any mods at all. Gears will help out quite a bit if you care about driveability on a Sahara or sport however.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Nopersā€¦ Just a number

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Depends on the buyer and depends on how much of a premium you'd be trying to recoup on resale. I wouldn't expect more than maybe $1000 return, maybe. But, to an enthusiast, it shows you've thought about drivability.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Nice bumpers, wheels, tires, visual/appearance mods can help resale. Regear will be a total loss.

I know that you went from 33s to 35s on your Rubicon. The Rubi is geared deep. Honesty, you are not going to feel a difference with that small of a tire size difference. Most likely you worried about it and now you think it feels different.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice bumpers, wheels, tires, visual/appearance mods can help resale. Regear will be a total loss.

I know that you went from 33s to 35s on your Rubicon. The Rubi is geared deep. Honesty, you are not going to feel a difference with that small of a tire size difference. Most likely you worried about it and now you think it feels different.
It feels different alright. feels heavy. I'm considering change to the KO2 because the NIttos are like 13 pounds per tire more. Don't know if i should try that first or just go back to stock and wait.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That's really not much of a weight change, gearing would make it feel even worse.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's really not much of a weight change, gearing would make it feel even worse.
really? How would 4.56 gears make it feel worse?
also, actually in addition to the 13 lbs for the tires i have KMC rims which are 29 pounds vs. stock rubicon rims.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It feels different alright. feels heavy. I'm considering change to the KO2 because the NIttos are like 13 pounds per tire more. Don't know if i should try that first or just go back to stock and wait.
also, actually in addition to the 13 lbs for the tires i have KMC rims which are 29 pounds vs. stock rubicon rims.
29 pounds isn't a heavy rim. Stock is probably close to that.

You won't feel much difference between 4.10 and 4.56 gears. They are very similar in size.

When you regear, although the number is higher, the gears are actually shorter/smaller. Smaller gears take less rotation to make a larger tire spin. With your manual trans it will cause the need to shift earlier. If you go short in the gears it can cause 1st and 2nd gears to be basically useless/you will be shifting at 5 and 10 mph. This won't be the case with 4.56 but it will be sooner, it does not make the jeep faster or give added power.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yea, like he said, 4.56 is barely different from 4.10. Higher gearing will make you feel sluggish, the high gears are just necessary to keep the engine RPM in the power band at reasonable gears.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
To the right buyer, it will have value. It probably wonā€™t add overall value to your vehicle, along with a lift and tires, but to someone in the know, they may consider your wrangler compared to another because it has $2,000 worth of re-gearing work done. I assume you can consider that value in a competitive used car market.
Sponsored