Sponsored

Ordering a JL today... resale value?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Dont know what your budget is but CWG with the heated Seats, wheel and remote start would be high on my list for winter driving and if you sell your Jeep down the road will make it appeal to a lot more people. Your looking at 886$ invoice for it

I say, Buy Once, Cry once.
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I haven't checked your calculations. However there are limits to this line of thought.

When the OP starts to drive his Jeep on a regular basis, he will miss some of the features that are not included in the base Sport model. The financial aspect of the purchase should be balanced with the fact that he will be driving the vehicle on a regular basis.
I am answered his question since he seems to be looking at the Sport model and Sport S with the cold weather package. Everyone has different budgets, priorities and requirements. I bought the Jeep with the options I wanted. It fit my budget, priorities and requirements. The only higher Level Jeep that interested me was a 392 Rubicon, but my priority isn't paying $80K for a Wrangler.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Correct me if I'm wrong but online I was able to delete the tech package and go with the U Connect 3
It has been required all year per the order guide, but I don't know if it still required. Ultimately if you are ordering a Wrangler, it comes down to what the dealer's ordering screen allows them to do.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
What will you replace it with? We haven't seen the prices for the 2022 models yet. There may be some surprises there.
I already have a 2020 Gladiator and can wait out the pricing bubble. My problem is I think my JL is excellent as is and there is always a risk that the replacement could have issues, forced options (mine has no options) and it will have a higher price.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The best resale percentage on a Wrangler is a Sport with an automatic. It's been that way for years. Overall condition and low miles mean more to the used buyer than trims and packages. The vast majority of Wrangler buyers are not enthusiasts who look these forums.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The Sport has manual windows and door locks, meaning it also has a buttonless key fob. The latter is incompatible with aftermarket remote engine start kits that usually require a power door lock button on a fob when programming and/or operating the kit's features. Just an FYI.

Having sold vehicles privately, I can tell you that factory options and aftermarket modifications have little practical effect on resale value. Said differently: what I like isn't always what the buyer wants. I'd encourage you to order your new Wrangler with precisely what you want on it, and nothing you don't want, unless one of your must-have features requires the purchase of a "package" to get said feature.

Wranglers in particular are well known for maintaining excellent resale value, so that's something that doesn't require too much worrying about.
I have a Sport that came with manual locks. The previous owner installed a Viper aftermarket alarm system. It does now give me the availability of power locks and remote start. However, I now also have a 2nd remote. Considering the JL remote is not exactly small, it makes it tough to put it in your jean pocket.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The best resale percentage on a Wrangler is a Sport with an automatic. It's been that way for years. Overall condition and low miles mean more to the used buyer than trims and packages. The vast majority of Wrangler buyers are not enthusiasts who look these forums.
I did a fair amount of research on this before buying a Sport with an automatic. I think on just about any other car, the idea of manual locks and mirrors would be the kiss of death in 2021. My 1999 Isuzu had that and people made fun of me then, calling me Amish. However, it suits a Wrangler Sport, for some reason. Surprisingly, no one who gets in is surprised ... perhaps it is because they know the doors come off.

Not sure about where you live but it was hard to find a sport with 3.6 and Auto. There will always be demand for a "rustic" Jeep, so I wouldn't worry about resale value as much as could you live with cranking your own windows down ...

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I did a fair amount of research on this before buying a Sport with an automatic. I think on just about any other car, the idea of manual locks and mirrors would be the kiss of death in 2021. My 1999 Isuzu had that and people made fun of me then, calling me Amish. However, it suits a Wrangler Sport, for some reason. No one who gets in is surprised ... perhaps it is because they know the doors come off.

Not sure about where you live but it was hard to find a sport with 3.6 and Auto. There will always be demand for a "rustic" Jeep, so I wouldn't worry about resale value as much as could you live with cranking your own windows down ...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
So heated seated seats/remote start and S package feature will cost you extra almost $5600. I guarantee you that Sport S a couple years down the road, isn't going to worth any where near $5600 more than a Sport.
That's an odd way of looking at it. Those packages are going to depreciate along with the rest of the Jeep. You seem to be looking at it expecting them not to depreciate at all. A couple years down the road a Sport S will be worth more than a Sport, but not by the price difference when new. That depreciates too.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The best resale percentage on a Wrangler is a Sport with an automatic.
If that's true, then Yay Me. :)

I have a Sport that came with manual locks. The previous owner installed a Viper aftermarket alarm system. It does now give me the availability of power locks and remote start. However, I now also have a 2nd remote.
Can you PM me the details of the addition of power windows, and the overall effort with the wiring? Or at least a link, so I can review the kit. TIA!

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
That's an odd way of looking at it. Those packages are going to depreciate along with the rest of the Jeep. You seem to be looking at it expecting them not to depreciate at all. A couple years down the road a Sport S will be worth more than a Sport, but not by the price difference when new. That depreciates too.
I agree the options and models depreciate. I have just seen a lot of people claim that they need a certain option or Rubicon for resale value. (It is not just this forum) In many cases, that is just not true. The options themselves sometimes add no value per book value or they often depreciate faster than the vehicle. A base Rubicon probably is probably going to well, but how many people order one of the $44k model, when compare to Sahara or Sport S. I looked up the NADA of a 2018 Unlimited Rubicon, a fully optioned add ~$4700 options. On the current configurator that can $19K options. The option lost 75% of the value. I didn't add any accessories or the camera, full rock-trac or deisel engine because I know those option weren't available in 2018. Some of the options were probably a little cheaper in 2018.

My recommendation is to buy options because you want them for yourself to enjoy, not for resale value.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I agree the options and models depreciate. I have just seen a lot of people claim that they need a certain option or Rubicon for resale value. (It is not just this forum) In many cases, that is just not true. The options themselves sometimes add no value per book value or they often depreciate faster than the vehicle. A base Rubicon probably is probably going to well, but how many people order one of the $44k model, when compare to Sahara or Sport S. I looked up the NADA of a 2018 Unlimited Rubicon, a fully optioned add ~$4700 options. On the current configurator that can $19K options. The option lost 75% of the value. I didn't add any accessories or the camera, full rock-trac or deisel engine because I know those option weren't available in 2018. Some of the options were probably a little cheaper in 2018.

My recommendation is to buy options because you want them for yourself to enjoy, not for resale value.
I wouldn't get options for resale value either. A stripped model could take longer to sell but as long as you have some options, buyers are more willing to take pot luck. As long as it isn't bottom of the barrel options wise.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Get the sport S! You’ll be sorry if you don’t..
Sponsored