First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
just read your other thread, that truly sucks. My ass would be at the dealership every day. I would physically want to see the parts they ordered with tracking info.

on a side note, I’m really digging the tan top on the white Jeep. 🤞 Hope they get to a conclusion soon!
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
So I guess this is the explanation…

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diesel-problems-now-with-more-egr.102400/

Sounds like it’s still within warranty. I agree the OP has been treared poorly but this whole deal is weird.
My favorite Jeep continues to hurt me. Not really looking for advice. Just commiseration, and get the issues out there into the Jeep-world ether.
Our '21 JLURD went back into the shop on September 16 for some hardware the dealer failed to reinstall with the engine oil leak repair 18 months ago; an RPM-synced rattle from the lower passenger side of the engine bay that comes and goes; low voltage faults on the freeway causing limp-mode activation; and a new valve cover leak. 25,000 miles.
Not sure the total repairs yet as I still don't have the Jeep, but parts were ordered, including a new ECM I hear, and had arrived by the last time I checked on October 3. Service writer said he was waiting to schedule the tech (for some reason he hadn't done so yet) and would get back to me with an updated timeline. Ha! Yeah, right!
I have been leaving message for my @JeepCares /Jeep Wave case manager this week (flooded out in Ian so I get the delays there) but hadn't heard back so I called the dealer again. Service writer says the tech was driving after finishing the other repairs and noticed problems. Coolant and gunk filled the EGR system; failed EGR valve. Says they need to order EGR valve and associated components, but hadn't ordered them yet (again, I don't understand the delay), but he'd check today to see if he could get me an updated timeline for when those parts would arrive and when the tech would be able to install them and finish the repair. Now after 4pm and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting that update (again).
Once again I'm left frustrated that we've been without our Jeep for a month again and no ETA for when to expect to have it back. We cancelled a trip to Moab/Grand Junction for my wife's birthday at the end of last month, and now we have to once again cancel the fall break trip planned for this weekend. We had to cancel the spring break trip planned for '21 because of the first oil leak and the 2 months it sat at the dealer waiting for parts and tech time. I have to rent a truck from Uhaul or Home Depot anytime I need to move the camper, dirt bikes, or even bicycles because the loaner provided doesn't have a hitch (not to mention doesn't allow pets/my dog). We haven't been able to use the boat at all this fall either as we have no other way to launch it.
I know, First World problems for sure. But I also feel like I've paid the premium for the experience we don't even get to have. We picked up the Jeep ~750 days ago, and it has been at the dealer for more than 100 of those days; ~15% of the ownership period so far.
EDIT: Dealership is Doug Smith in American Fork, Utah. I've been trying to keep their name out of most posts in hopes that I have my Jeep back soon and I can address this with them and Jeep Cares, but Doug Smith obviously does not care. Today (Nov 11) is the 57th day they've had it for this repair. Starting the 9th week!

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

FIRST thing I would do is gather up any/all documentation you can collect about why it's there, how long it's been, who's contacted you and when, what they've told you, etc.

SECOND thing I'd do is contact the GM of the dealership, provide them with copies of all of that documentation, and tell them they have 7 business days to find a solution before you contact a lawyer. Be very clear about what you consider to be "resolved" - IMO, that would be at minimum:
- Your Jeep fully repaired/operational
- Full reimbursement for any rental vehicles you've needed (you'll be expected to provide documentation)
- Minimum of 5 year extended warranty (free of charge)
- Full reimbursement of any additional expenses directly related for which you have documentation (tow truck, etc)

THIRD thing I'd do is contact a lawyer and provide THEM with all of that documentation, along with documented proof that you attempted all reasonable avenues to get this resolved, and that at this point, you want the dealership and/or Jeep/FCA/Stellantis to purchase this vehicle back from you at the original purchase price (to pay off your loan) plus any of the previously established reimbursements *OR* allow them to fast-track you a replacement (if you're open to another Jeep) at the same amount as your original purchase PLUS they cover your legal fees for having to hassle with this in the first place.

Let the lawyer know that you've given the dealership 7 business days, and that you expect the lawyer to notify the dealership bright and early on that 8th business day that they will now ONLY be dealing with your lawyer, and are not to contact you under any circumstances.

Once you engage the lawyer, you shouldn't have any contact with Jeep, the dealership, or anyone other than your lawyer.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The thread link:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diesel-problems-now-with-more-egr.102400/

Jeep went in with a persistent rattle, a few losses of power at freeway speeds (looks like low voltage maybe?), and a second oil leak from the passenger-side valve cover.

They said when they got in to replace the valve cover gasket they noticed the EGR was "full of coolant, soot, and gunk." But they never called me to tell me any of this. Only updates would have to come through Jeep Cares rep and now when I physically stop by. And then the story keeps getting changed. The part they couldn't find for several weeks was expedited to them within 2 days after I extracted the "unobtainable" part number out of them and gave it to Jeep Cares rep. That was a month ago.

In the mean time, my Jeep sits like this. Fuel injectors and rail open, intake and exhaust ports open, EGR system open, electrical connectors exposed, mounting studs broken from engine bay wiring looms, grille propped against the winch and cross-member, coolant dripping into the engine bay and control arms...

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
First chance for the dealer to fix was early May this year @ 20k miles. Then again in June @ 21k miles. I got Jeep Cares involved in July. 25k miles now. All work is still within warranty. Some of the issues it went in for trace back to the warranty work this same dealer did on the Jeep in Feb-March 2021 for the timing chain oil leak @ 6k miles.

The repair just isn't getting done. They completed the tear-down part, but it has stalled for 7+ weeks since. That's why the grille and headlight are out. My avatar pic is the plastic grocery bags they stuffed in some of the holes after I pointed out that it probably wasn't good to have all of those components exposed with the alternating dust and snow storms. They lasted a few days.

I've been documenting my experience all along, including photos of the Jeep condition weekly for the past month. The negligence crushes me more than not being able to drive it.

Sponsored

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE, 2010 Unlimited, 2002 2d X
FIRST thing I would do is gather up any/all documentation you can collect about why it's there, how long it's been, who's contacted you and when, what they've told you, etc.

SECOND thing I'd do is contact the GM of the dealership, provide them with copies of all of that documentation, and tell them they have 7 business days to find a solution before you contact a lawyer. Be very clear about what you consider to be "resolved" - IMO, that would be at minimum:
- Full reimbursement for any rental vehicles you've needed (you'll be expected to provide documentation)
- Full reimbursement of any additional expenses directly related for which you have documentation (tow truck, etc)

THIRD thing I'd do is contact a lawyer and provide THEM with all of that documentation, along with documented proof that you attempted all reasonable avenues to get this resolved, and that at this point, you want the dealership and/or Jeep/FCA/Stellantis to purchase this vehicle back from you at the original purchase price (to pay off your loan) plus any of the previously established reimbursements *OR* allow them to fast-track you a replacement (if you're open to another Jeep) at the same amount as your original purchase PLUS they cover your legal fees for having to hassle with this in the first place.

Let the lawyer know that you've given the dealership 7 business days, and that you expect the lawyer to notify the dealership bright and early on that 8th business day that they will now ONLY be dealing with your lawyer, and are not to contact you under any circumstances.

Once you engage the lawyer, you shouldn't have any contact with Jeep, the dealership, or anyone other than your lawyer.
What Ricky said.

It's time to get the lawyers involved. I understand supply chain issues, and I understand labor shortages, but they have neglected your vehicle for over 2 months, done further damage to it than it came in with, and repeatedly deprioritized your repair for other (likely cash paying) jobs.

Your thread here is actually useful, as it is documentation with timestamps of every step of the process. Make sure to give the link to the lawyer.

Also, all your requirements need to include putting whatever mods you have on your vehicle on to the new one at the dealership's cost (or equivalent cash for you to get the same mods done at current market rates). And legal fees, but that goes without saying.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Tell the dealership they'll have to do a complete swap to the hellcat crate engine! Or the hellephant!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I realize American Fork is 20 minutes away from Provo, but I have to share an experience with Provo CDJR a few years ago.

To make a long story short, we are in my 2014 Unlimited Sahara with 8,000 miles, on our way from Los Angeles to Glacier National Park in Montana. Leaving Las Vegas the CEL comes on; the Jeep feels fine. I schedule an appointment at Provo CDJR for next day, Saturday morning.

Drop off the Jeep. When we get back from lunch they tell us that they took the engine apart and found a blown cylinder (I forget which one). They have ordered the parts; should arrive on Monday. We should be ready to go by Wednesday, Christmas Eve.

I smell rat. First, the Jeep is driving fine. I’d have noticed severe loss of power if I had a blown cylinder. Second, how the hell do you take the engine apart, diagnose a blown cylinder and order the parts; all in one hour. I call their bluff and tell them to put everything back together; we have to go. The Service Advisor insists that they won’t be responsible if we break down and my parents freeze to death on the side of the road. “We will take our chances” I reply. Twenty minutes later he gives me my keys back. The Jeep is in the front; the CEL is gone. They don’t make me sign anything or give me copies of the work order.

I kept that Jeep for another 2 years and never had any more issues.

Moral of the story: some Jeep dealers are real crooks. This dealer was willing to keep us in town for four days so that they could milk Chrysler for thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs.

Sounds like that Service Manager might have moved to American Fork.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I realize American Fork is 20 minutes away from Provo, but I have to share a terrible experience with Provo CDJR we had a few years ago.
Yep, Larry H Miller Jeep in Provo is really bad from several personal experiences. They're the closest to me, and I have to drive past them to American Fork. Though now it looks like I'll be going even further next time.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Larry H Miller Jeep in Provo is really bad from several personal experiences. They're the closest to me, and I have to drive past them to American Fork. Though now it looks like I'll be going even further next time.
FWIW, I bought my 2018 JLU Sahara from Tooele Motors, in Tooele, UT. They were excellent!
Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on Moving Forward 1668636001430

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My Jeep sat at a dealership for 2 months while they waited for a new axle to replace a bad locker sensor. Since I didn't use a loaner car during the repair duration, when I got it back they gave me a check for 2 months of car payments. If they are going to keep it for an extended amount of time, they owe you something.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...contact the GM of the dealership, provide them with copies of all of that documentation, and tell them they have 7 business days to find a solution before you contact a lawyer.
From personal experience, on the winning side:
The mere mention of the word "attorney", whether as a temperature check (i.e., bluff) or as a statement of fact, will or should cause the other side, so to speak, to go into radio silence.

Said differently: be very careful about who hears that word from you, and when. Better yet, speak to an actual attorney, as suggested, and let him (and no one else) direct every subsequent move that you make, or don't make, here.

--------------

Personally, the discovery of my Jeep in the same condition as yours would cause my OCD to explode. I sincerely hope you get some satisfaction here, GearWhore, sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer

Jeepn’

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Agreed, at this point, this is the most appropriate avenue.

By the time they decide to fix it, you'll have a complete rats nest living in all those exposed ports.
Sponsored