First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems as if I’ll have more disposable income than expected in March. My bonus that was going to pay for some household renovations will now be mostly Jeep money because it seems my wife’s bonus will be larger than anticipated (unless we have a nasty income tax surprise). Hooray us!

My Jeep is not my daily driver. It’s a fun vehicle for weekends and to go wheeling whenever I can, probably 10-15 times a year. Mostly in central Texas hill country (rocks). I’ve decided not to upgrade axles (for now) and do other things. I’d like thoughts on what order should I undertake these mods.

• New 17” wheels/37” tires
  • Complete belly skid plates
  • Regear to 4.88 (8 speed auto)
  • Upgrade axle shafts
  • Truss stock D44 axles
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Congrats on the windfall! :rock:

IMHO

1. New 17” wheels/37” tires
  2. To save money and down time, the following should be done all at once:
    • Upgrade axle shafts
    • Truss stock D44 axles
  3. Complete belly skid plates

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
It seems as if I’ll have more disposable income than expected in March. My bonus that was going to pay for some household renovations will now be mostly Jeep money because it seems my wife’s bonus will be larger than anticipated (unless we have a nasty income tax surprise). Hooray us!

My Jeep is not my daily driver. It’s a fun vehicle for weekends and to go wheeling whenever I can, probably 10-15 times a year. Mostly in central Texas hill country (rocks). I’ve decided not to upgrade axles (for now) and do other things. I’d like thoughts on what order should I undertake these mods.

• Upgrade axle shafts
  • Truss stock D44 axles
I like them all! There’s a chance I might bring my Jeep back to stock and could have some of those items! I really like the artec truss, just takes a while to install correctly. For the gears, we could possibly swap axles for about half the cost of a regear if that’s something you’d consider too!

Excited to see your progress though!

Brett

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

• Upgrade axle shafts
  • Truss stock D44 axles
Do you really need 37's? I ask as they seem to be a stepping point to need a bunch of associated stuff.

If no your list gets short, new wheels with 35's and belly skids.

If yes you probably want to group all the axle stuff together to avoid opening it up multiple times. Get the trusses, axle shafts and gears all done and be done with it. Maybe even find a used axle to do the mods on, then swap it in and sell your original.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Do you really need 37's? I ask as they seem to be a stepping point to need a bunch of associated stuff.

If no your list gets short, new wheels with 35's and belly skids.

If yes you probably want to group all the axle stuff together to avoid opening it up multiple times. Get the trusses, axle shafts and gears all done and be done with it. Maybe even find a used axle to do the mods on, then swap it in and sell your original.
No, nobody NEEDS 37s. Lol. But it’s gonna happen. Already on 35s.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I like them all! There’s a chance I might bring my Jeep back to stock and could have some of those items! I really like the artec truss, just takes a while to install correctly. For the gears, we could possibly swap axles for about half the cost of a regear if that’s something you’d consider too!

Excited to see your progress though!

Brett
You’ve got 4:88 gears and trusses on your axles? If so a swap sounds like a win win. Let me know if/when that’s definite that you’re modding back to stock.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Finding this thread now has me worried. I recently got 37’s, I know I will regear in the future, but do you really need to truss the rubicon Dana 44’s? Also stock axle shafts, are they an issue immediately or after time?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
RCVs and skids, provided you go to 37s. If sticking with 33's...skids.
Already on 35, pretty sure I want 37s. I haven’t dragged the belly yet, but that’s probably because I’ve avoided taking on anything where I felt I might (except once). I do want RCV axles though.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Finding this thread now has me worried. I recently got 37’s, I know I will regear in the future, but do you really need to truss the rubicon Dana 44’s? Also stock axle shafts, are they an issue immediately or after time?
Depends on how hard you beat on it (that’s what she said). I don’t want beat on it until I’ve done things to where I feel that I probably won’t break anything (THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!)

And don’t judge by me, I’m still learning and I’m a “better safe than sorry” sort of guy who’d rather upgrade preemptively than retroactively after something fails.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Depends on how hard you beat on it (that’s what she said). I don’t want beat on it until I’ve done things to where I feel that I probably won’t break anything (THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!)

And don’t judge by me, I’m still learning and I’m a “better safe than sorry” sort of guy who’d rather upgrade preemptively than retroactively after something fails.
Thanks for the reply. I live in PA and go wheelin at Rausch Creek and AOAA which are rocky to say the least. I don’t beat on the jeep but I like to do more than green trails and will continue to upgrade parts but don’t want to have to do all that at once since I just put 37’s on

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thanks for the reply. I live in PA and go wheelin at Rausch Creek and AOAA which are rocky to say the least. I don’t beat on the jeep but I like to do more than green trails and will continue to upgrade parts but don’t want to have to do all that at once since I just put 37’s on
There are alot of people wheelin difficult trails on 37s with stock jl rubi axles without issues. I was told I'll be fine if I'm halfway responsible with the skinny pedal....no need to truss/RCV for 37s.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There are alot of people wheelin difficult trails on 37s with stock jl rubi axles without issues. I was told I'll be fine if I'm halfway responsible with the skinny pedal....no need to truss/RCV for 37s.
That’s good to hear. I would use both lockers and go slow and steady before I tried to power my way through and obstacle with the skinny pedal. I say that now sitting in my recliner haha

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

My Jeep is not my daily driver. It’s a fun vehicle for weekends and to go wheeling whenever I can, probably 10-15 times a year.
Mostly in central Texas hill country (rocks). I’ve decided not to upgrade axles (for now) and do other things. I’d like thoughts on what order should I undertake these mods.

• Upgrade axle shafts
  • Truss stock D44 axles
This new rubicon is pretty damn stout, if you’re smart about it you can wheel it pretty hard as is.
I’ve been airborne a few times and constantly up in the air with the front end, which is not being smart about it. No issues with axles or any suspension parts.

I keep a close eye on it though, constantly looking it over up on the lift. One thing I’m really glad I did though is the rcv axle shafts, not only for the durability, but more for turning while locked. It’s not as easy as when your not locked but it’s a lot smoother than the stock axles. Just my .02.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This new rubicon is pretty damn stout, if you’re smart about it you can wheel it pretty hard as is. I’ve been airborne a few times and constantly up in the air with the front end, which is not being smart about it. No issues with axles or any suspension parts. I keep a close eye on it though, constantly looking it over up on the lift. One thing I’m really glad I did though is the rcv axle shafts, not only for the durability, but more for turning while locked. It’s not as easy as when your not locked but it’s a lot smoother than the stock axles. Just my .02.
You have the RCV shafts that still work with the FAD right? Is there any benefit to the RCV that is one piece and does’t work with the FAD?
Sponsored