On Road Snow Performance - Willys vs Rubicon

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
This might seem odd, but I was leaning towards the Willys over the Rubicon since I really won't be off road much.
I am concerned about the Firestone MT2 tires that come on the Willys for driving on road in the snow.
Does anyone have any real world experience with these tires?
If I just should replace them on day one, I might just spring for the Rubicon with the KO2's.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have no experience with the Firestone Destination MTs. However, I always had better experience with ATs than MTs on snow covered roads. GY Duratracs, BFG KO2s and General Grabber AT-X are unbeatable on snow/slush conditions.

Another thing to consider, does Willys come with a rear LSD or a rear locker?

For on-road snow driving, a rear LSD will serve you a lot better.

Good luck.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The difference between all the models when it comes to snow performance is basically mute. Buy the Jeep that you like and makes sense for you. The KO2s are better snow tires than the MT2s. If snow driving is your big worry I would just go straight to Duratracs though. There's no substitute for them in those conditions that's not a dedicated snow tire. They are overkill though for most however and if you went the Rubicon route would probably be content with the KO2s too.

I don't think you have a wrong decision either way.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I own a Willy's and this past Winter I didn't have any issues. The Willy's does have a LSD, so you need to be careful giving it to much gas going around a corner on snow packed roads and etc. That would apply to any tires, not just the M/T's.

I find it funny that everyone in "real life" always wants good mud tires for winter driving, but on these forums everyone is always scared and thinking they are going to run off the road or something.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Honestly speaking buy the Jeep you and your wallet will like. Even if you have mudders, I bet you will get used to them rather quickly in the snow. It’s not like one set of tires will leave you stranded. So why not buy what you want and/or can afford? Let us not forget that people drive Nissan Versa or Toyota Yaris or a Ford Fiesta in the snow completely ok. All comes down to the driver’s experience.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'll bet you could sell your new/low miles OEM MT tires to a Sport owner who got saddled with a/t or a/s tires they didn't really want and want to keep their tire size... That could offset the cost of getting the tires you would rather have.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you get the Willys, an option is to have the MT's siped at a tire shop. I've had very good results with adding siping to MT's in the past for snowy/icy roads. At the shop that did my siping (Les Schwab), you can choose all tread blocks, just center, or just outer. If you're going to be doing any off-roading, especially with rocks, I'd suggest only getting center tread blocks siped. The outer lugs may tend to chunk on rocks when you add siping.

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
I did fine with the MTs on my Willys last year. I moved up to 35" KO2s and sold the M/Ts; anxious to see how they do because I've never been satisfied with BFGs in the past.

OP
OP

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
It's interesting these tires have been out for around 3 years and so few reviews on them.

Sponsored

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I have a Rubicon with the stock ko2’s and we had a handful of late spring snow days earlier this year (Maybe 3”+ of slushy stuff) and the JL handled them like a champ. I didn’t even really feel the need to use the 4wd most of the time and I haven’t driven a Willys, but I don’t think Rubicon drivers have anything to worry about in the snow as long as they don’t get too crazy/fast in bad conditions. I think that it’s the other drivers that you need to worry more about drifting in to your lane, sliding, etc.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I am concerned about the Firestone MT2 tires that come on the Willys for driving on road in the snow.
1. If you are concerned about snow then you probably should get a second set of wheels and some real snow tires.
2. I thought the Sahara had the advantage in the snow due to its different 4WD system.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Nothing beats real snow tires. If you are concerned between M/T and A/T in snow, you wont notice the difference. Real snow tires is where its at.

And you want the willys. If you wont be offroading youll benefit more from the willys than rubi.

I lived in Vermont for 10 years.

Last edited:

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
My plan is to order my Willy's and also purchase 285/70/17 K02's hopefully from the dealership and have them swap them before taking delivery and credit me a bit for the M/T tires. We'll see if they'll go for that. :like:
Sponsored