Sponsored

JL Rubicon vs Renegade Trailhawk snow performance?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Having owned a Renegade Trailhawk, I will praise that thing over the world and back when it comes to driving in the snow. Just absolutely ate it up with ease. Whatever algorithms they had for that thing's AWD system were just made for snow. And sometimes I'm talking deep, unplowed snow where other cars and trucks were stranded and my little Renegade was happily scooting through. It was pretty awesome, to be honest.

Not really sure how a regular Renegade would do, though. The Trailhawk has the AWD "lock" option (and yea, who knows what that actually means), and that probably made a big difference. Along with a little bit more height if you're dealing with deeper snow.
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The Wrangler comes with AWD now? Does that replace the 4x4 auto or is it yet another transfer case on offer?
The 2021 Rubicons are now available with a new version of the Rock-Trac transfer-case, it still maintains the 4:1 low range ratio while offering 2wd high, 4wd high, 4wd high auto , neutral and 4wd low range.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I have 2 AWD vehicles and both have winter tires/wheels sets -make a world of a difference in braking and control of a vehicle, especially when rear steps out (winter tire has very quick reco very and all season keeps on sliding for quite bit before regaining traction).

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Depends on what kind winter driving you're talking about. The #1 factor is all about the tires, with Driver Ability 2nd. I also hope you got the 4WD Auto option, that's ideal for snowy/icy roads.

BFG KO2 AT's are pretty good in off-road deep snow and snow/mud mix, but don't let that severe snow 3PMSF rating fool you. They are mediocre at best at on-road snow and ice (like any AT tire). For on-road snow & ice just about any dedicated winter tire will be MUCH better. They are tall and narrow, a.k.a "Pizza Cutters". The tread compound is much softer and loaded with snow grabbing sipes which is why you don't want to use them in temps over 45-50 degrees (they wear fast when warm). However they stick to cold/snowy/icy roads like glue. The '21 JLR 2dr with 4WD Auto and winter tires is a go-anywhere winter beast.

FYI, 4WD is not ideal on snowy/icy roads. It forces one or more tires to slip in turns which is the exact opposite of what you want. In that situation, AWD is best followed closely by 4WD Auto. If you don't have the 4WD Auto option, 2WD should be your go-to and shift into 4WD if your rear tires slip.
Well said. I think that’s why you see so many Subarus in wintry areas. Or Audi’s with their Quattro system as well. Two of the best AWD systems around in my opinion. I love using my Jeep in the local mountains here in SoCal when it snows. I’ve learned a lot about winter/snowy driving conditions.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
2 full winters going up and down ski resorts in 4 Hi and only 1 instance where the KO2s slipped on an ice covered downhill bend. Slipped for maybe 10 feet braking then got traction on the snow piled to the side.

One time pulled into slush piled on the side of the road with ice covering gravel. Got stuck in 4Hi then 4Lo then rear lockers then finally all locked. Was able to grind and crawl to about a foot away from the pavement but was still on solid ice. Dug out rears and put down traction ramps. Then fronts pulled right out easy peasy. Chains next but not needed. You sometimes do need full 4 wheel traction with everything locked - even in snow.

Have a manual Subie that is a 50/50 split and is fantastic with winters on ice. Also has cables. But still sucks toads in deep snow where it can get high centered. Also had a LSD torsen 4x4 which was also a beast in snow even with original KOs. Each having their specific pros and cons.

Guess would be the 2 Dr in 4Hi with KO2s should be fine in most driving circumstances. But only you know what type of situations you normally would encounter and drive in. We have near 100% confidence with our setup on paved winter roads even in harsh conditions. But much less off-road when chains are required. Have seen a ton of vehicles off in ditches this year. Very normal as we have had a ton of snow this past winter.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Well said. I think that’s why you see so many Subarus in wintry areas. Or Audi’s with their Quattro system as well. Two of the best AWD systems around in my opinion. I love using my Jeep in the local mountains here in SoCal when it snows. I’ve learned a lot about winter/snowy driving conditions.
Subaru AWD used to be superior 10 years ago. Now days majority are the same, with torque vectoring. My 14 Explorer (with its GOAT moads ) able to tripod nonproblem and still drive.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The guys at TFL tested a bunch of Subarus on the trail. They found that when the going gets tough, the traction control will cut engine power, to protect the rubber band that runs the CVT.

That pretty much makes the new Subarus worthless for off-road use in my book.

Apparently CVTs in general tend to snap the belt under the stress of off-road conditions.

That must be the reason Jeep got rid of the only CVT it offered —in the 1st-gen Compass/Patriot.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
The guys at TFL tested a bunch of Subarus on the trail. They found that when the going gets tough, the traction control will cut engine power, to protect the rubber band that runs the CVT.

That pretty much makes the new Subarus worthless for off-road use in my book.

Apparently CVTs in general tend to snap the belt under the stress of off-road conditions.

That must be the reason Jeep got rid of the only CVT it offered —in the 1st-gen Compass/Patriot.
Interesting. I was more referring to mix of pavement and ice/snow.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I was more referring to mix of pavement and ice/snow.
Yes. I get it.

I was just expanding on it since there are many out there who think that Subarus are super capable.

They are, but only up to a point. Especially newer ones.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
smh.

2 full winters going up and down ski resorts in 4 Hi and only 1 instance where the KO2s slipped on an ice covered downhill bend. Slipped for maybe 10 feet braking then got traction on the snow piled to the side.
Translation: The AT tires failed you and slid off the road. Luckily there wasn't a cliff there or something to impact.

One time pulled into slush piled on the side of the road with ice covering gravel. Got stuck in 4Hi then 4Lo then rear lockers then finally all locked. Was able to grind and crawl to about a foot away from the pavement but was still on solid ice. Dug out rears and put down traction ramps. Then fronts pulled right out easy peasy. Chains next but not needed. You sometimes do need full 4 wheel traction with everything locked - even in snow.
Translation: The AT tires failed to gain any traction on ice, requiring severe measures to gain any traction. Were there a slope the vehicle would likely have failed to even remain stationary.

We have near 100% confidence with our setup on paved winter roads even in harsh conditions.
Um... why? You just described multiple occasions that your AT tires failed you. This is exactly what I mean by overconfidence. It's just a matter of time before you get yourself in a situation that you're not going to drive away from.

Have seen a ton of vehicles off in ditches this year. Very normal as we have had a ton of snow this past winter.
No, this is NOT NORMAL! It's typical due to driver overconfidence in AT tires that perform poorly in ice and snow, but it is definitely not normal.

Any AT tire will be at best mediocre in ice and snow, requiring the driver to drive more cautiously than any vehicle with winter tires. This video clearly shows the difference. Note that 4WD would only help in one of the tests (acceleration) and will be irrelevant or detrimental in the other 2 tests (braking and cornering).

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
You obviously need to get off your meds. As you are coming to conclusions completely off base and incorrect. But hey its your life. Haha!

Def if you want more traction on ice - winters are better. But for the conditions we drive in all winter going to ski resorts the KO2s do just fine. All our other vehicles have winters. A 10’ slide on solid ice is not much with ATs over 2 harsh winters. You have no clue driving in dangerous conditions. Now go back to sleep and take a chill pill.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
But for the conditions we drive in all winter going to ski resorts the KO2s do just fine. All our other vehicles have winters. A 10’ slide on solid ice is not much with ATs over 2 harsh winters. You have no clue driving in dangerous conditions.
OK, Squid. Ski Colorado.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Comparing a Rubicon to a Renegade is like trying to compare FDR's presidency to William Howard Taft's: as Joey Tribbiani would say, it's a moo point. It's moo.

Just get proper winter rubbers and you'll be more than fine.
Sponsored