Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How experienced are you with a manual? I found that driving off road with my 6 speed JK was not really an issue. You learn to use the clutch and pick your gears pretty quick IF you are already a good with a manual. If you are new to a manual, there will be a learning curve. That having been said, the current 8 speed is a great automatic.
IMO, the issue is that driving a tick shift on the open road is very different from driving on a confined trail with few inches to spare, and no speed behind you.

One has to admit that regardless of driving ability; all things being equal: wheeling in an automatic is always much easier.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 8-speed auto in the JLs is much better than any previous for every-day livability and efficiency. I'm still looking at a manual JL for our second vehicle. I miss shifting.
This is my fix for my itch to shift
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a manual transmission? AB5CB955-4F1A-422D-BC31-42E354EEC4A2

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Manual is so much fun, but for off roading a good auto tranny like the one in the JL is by far the clear winner. Offroading is more about picking lines and finnese on throttle control than shifting gears.

Id say youd be happy with either one. But the manual on the JL is not that great and has been plagued by recalls (sorry but thats the truth). The auto is a high end transmission and fits the pricey JL better.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
The 8 speed auto is a fantastic transmission. Off-roading with an auto is a simpler task.. If you plan on crawling over rocks or other obstacles, the automatic is the way to go.

If you plan on some scenic trails with a few obstacles scattered in, and mostly on road without a ton of stop and go traffic, get a manual if you want.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Do what makes you happy and don’t listen to anyone else. Nothing puts a smile on my face like driving a Jeep with a manual transmission and not top or doors. Back to the basics in a world where that’s becoming harder and harder to find.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Offroading is very rewarding and enjoyable in a manual trans. My old YJ was a manual 2.5 and my JL is a manual and i love it. Yes you can stall out but that just adds to the enjoyment of tackling an obstacle and the enjoyment when you finally overcome it!!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You will spend a lot more time on-road than off-road.

I have wheeled my manual JLU Sport S a lot - including Beasley Knob. I am looking forward to the Rubicon I have on order. With the 4:1 transfer case wheeling a manual Rubicon is pretty similar to an automatic. With the Sport I have to ride the clutch a lot or stall (which I have done a lot off-road).

But I would never trade the 90% of the time I drive on-road with the manual for the 10% of the time I am off-road.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Owned manuals for 50 years. If your buying the 3.6 then stick with the auto. The new 8 speed is a perfect match with it.

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
In test driving, I found the automatic to be scary. I have heard people rave about the programming, but with the relatively low cruising torque of the 2.0 and 3.6 (wasn't interested in a diesel so I didn't drive it), the shifting for a pass felt SLOW. Coming from an older 4runner with a V8, that didn't need a downshift to build momentum. This ZF8 paired with the 2.0 or 3.6 left me puckering and hoping it would downshift in time or waiting for a bigger opening. I know I "could" do the same thing with the auto (I'm not paying for something and still having to do it myself), but in a stick shift you can shift before the pass and have all that high end power when you need it.

As for off-roading, I have little experience with a stick shift on large obstacles. However, on loose surfaces you have much more direct control of your wheel speed which can make a huge difference in getting through from the comfort of drivers seat or needing to get out and dig, push, or winch. As stated above, auto's can do that, but then what are you paying for you really getting? Also I don't know where they put the trans cooler on these, but in most cars autos run hotter because it shares a spot in the radiator.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In test driving, I found the automatic to be scary. I have heard people rave about the programming, but with the relatively low cruising torque of the 2.0 and 3.6 (wasn't interested in a diesel so I didn't drive it), the shifting for a pass felt SLOW. Coming from an older 4runner with a V8, that didn't need a downshift to build momentum. This ZF8 paired with the 2.0 or 3.6 left me puckering and hoping it would downshift in time or waiting for a bigger opening. I know I "could" do the same thing with the auto (I'm not paying for something and still having to do it myself), but in a stick shift you can shift before the pass and have all that high end power when you need it.

As for off-roading, I have little experience with a stick shift on large obstacles. However, on loose surfaces you have much more direct control of your wheel speed which can make a huge difference in getting through from the comfort of drivers seat or needing to get out and dig, push, or winch. As stated above, auto's can do that, but then what are you paying for you really getting? Also I don't know where they put the trans cooler on these, but in most cars autos run hotter because it shares a spot in the radiator.
There’s nothing slow about the 8-speed automatic. There must have been something wrong with that Jeep.

The 6-speed automatic on my 2019 Toyota Tacoma...now that thing wouldn’t shift if my life depended on it. I dumped that truck after only six months. It was simply atrocious!

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Before I ever had my Jeep I wondered how people wheeled in a manual. "How could they possibly manage all three pedals at once???"

When I bought my sport I realized it really wasn't too much of an issue, kind of like taking off on a steep hill. Let the clutch out a bit while still on the brakes and then quickly switch the gas. Then you can just modulate it from there.

Then, I got a Rubicon and well you can forget all that. With the 4:1 transfer case there is no modulation, your clutch basically becomes an on/off switch. I don't really need the gas much and its nearly impossible to stall. You can be climbing a 30+ degree obstacle with rocks and just let the clutch out in 1st and it crawls right up.

That said, TBH, even though I have owned 2 manual JLs now, I think if I ever did it again for a 3rd time (doubtful) I would get an auto.

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
There’s nothing slow about the 8-speed automatic. There must have been something wrong with that Jeep.

The 6-speed automatic on my 2019 Toyota Tacoma...now that thing wouldn’t shift if my life depended on it. I dumped that truck after only six months. It was simply atrocious!
The way I worded it made it sound like I thought the transmission was slow, but the ZF8 is a fast shifting transmission. I just thought the whole process waiting for a downshift due to the lack of any poop until after the shift made the process feel slow. The gas engines need to spin to pass from highway speed (in my opinion). A person would probably get used to it, but I like manuals and ordered accordingly. It was multiple jeeps with different options so I don't think it was a faulty Jeep.

Toyota transmissions are very slow in my experience (especially compared to the ZF8), meaning they have to have a bigger engine or hybrid system to keep me satisfied with them. Speaking of I bet the 4xe would be a great combination, if I was more interested in an auto.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Before I ever had my Jeep I wondered how people wheeled in a manual. "How could they possibly manage all three pedals at once???"

When I bought my sport I realized it really wasn't too much of an issue, kind of like taking off on a steep hill. Let the clutch out a bit while still on the brakes and then quickly switch the gas. Then you can just modulate it from there.

Then, I got a Rubicon and well you can forget all that. With the 4:1 transfer case there is no modulation, your clutch basically becomes an on/off switch. I don't really need the gas much and its nearly impossible to stall. You can be climbing a 30+ degree obstacle with rocks and just let the clutch out in 1st and it crawls right up.

That said, TBH, even though I have owned 2 manual JLs now, I think if I ever did it again for a 3rd time (doubtful) I would get an auto.
My next one after the Rubi will be electric so no gears.
Sponsored