Sponsored

Which transmission are y'all going with, manual or auto?

Which transmission are you going with on your JL Rubicon?

• Total voters

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Just curious which transmission you guys are going with on your new JL Rubicon? I Love manual transmissions, but the Wife doesn't know how to drive a manual and doesn't want to learn. Plus we live in the San Francisco South Bay Area and being stuck in traffic with a manual transmission just plain sucks... Also, I really want the ability to remotely start the vehicle. What do y'all think?
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
This poll says a lot more about the members of this forum than it does about the popularity of the various transmissions available... A quick look at Craigslist makes it pretty clear that a huge majority of wranglers are sold with slush boxes, and yet we are the opposite here.

Worth keeping in mind he next time we collectively lose our spit over something FCA does that ā€˜killsā€™, ā€˜ruinsā€™, or ā€˜endsā€™ the wrangler.

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, another manual vs auto thread!

...well I have another 3-5 weeks to kill, why not lol.
I did a quick search and didn't find one... My bad, but I appreciate your good ol' fashion sarcasm, thanks! :-p

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found it! Oops! :-D Carry on...

Sponsored

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Just curious which transmission you guys are going with on your new JL Rubicon? I Love manual transmissions, but the Wife doesn't know how to drive a manual and doesn't want to learn. Plus we live in the San Francisco South Bay Area and being stuck in traffic with a manual transmission just plain sucks... Also, I really want the ability to remotely start the vehicle. What do y'all think?

My wife bought her '07 with a manual and didn't know how to drive it. I wanted the 73:1 crawl ratio and didn't like the auto so I said you'll learn to drive it or it'll sit and collect dust! She was driving it with no problems within a week. She wanted a manual again but like you, wanted remote start, so, 8 speed it is!

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Honestly, living in the Bay Area, I cant understand why youā€™d be all that interested in remote start. Any day hot enough to need AC, Iā€™d have the lid and doors off, and there arenā€™t many days cold enough to need Pre-heating...

I never had a problem with traffic and a stick - you still gotta drive, wether itā€™s 50 feet or 50 miles. Now adaptive cruise or autopilot I could get behind...

SuperDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I donā€™t get the traffic argument for not getting a manual. I lived, worked and commuted in heavy Dallas traffic for 15 yrs with a manual and never got tired of it. For me a manual makes driving more fun. In todayā€™s smart phone and infotainment driving distracted world thereā€™s an argument that driving a manual keeps you more focused on the task of driving = safety. Ultimately get what makes you happy...Iā€™ll take a manual over auto any day of the week.

sds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1100S & R1200RT
Occupation
Manufacturing
I am just glad there's the option to choose. For so many other "dream vehicles" on my list, there is no transmission choice but what the "Factory" decides you need...

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honestly, living in the Bay Area, I cant understand why youā€™d be all that interested in remote start. Any day hot enough to need AC, Iā€™d have the lid and doors off, and there arenā€™t many days cold enough to need Pre-heating...

I never had a problem with traffic and a stick - you still gotta drive, wether itā€™s 50 feet or 50 miles. Now adaptive cruise or autopilot I could get behind...
I live in Morgan Hill where the average summer day temp is approx 95 degrees. I'm not going to take the roof and doors off everyday... Plus sometimes it's just too hot to not be running the AC. Anyway, there is no right or wrong answer, it's whatever works for you my brother.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I live in Morgan Hill where the average summer day temp is approx 95 degrees. I'm not going to take the roof and doors off everyday... Plus sometimes it's just too hot to not be running the AC. Anyway, there is no right or wrong answer, it's whatever works for you my brother.
Iā€™m in Livermore, and itā€™s about the same. Roof and doors come off as soon as it stops raining, and donā€™t go back on until it gets too difficult to keep her dry...

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
In todayā€™s smart phone and infotainment driving distracted world thereā€™s an argument that driving a manual keeps you more focused on the task of driving = safety. Ultimately get what makes you happy...Iā€™ll take a manual over auto any day of the week.
I keep phone in my pocket, so I can't pull it out from around the seatbelt if I wanted to.

But I do think my manual keeps me a little more engaged and anticipating traffic/road ahead. I test drove a Tesla and think a lot of cars will be like that in the near future.

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™m in Livermore, and itā€™s about the same. Roof and doors come off as soon as it stops raining, and donā€™t go back on until it gets too difficult to keep her dry...
So you just leave it wide open ALL the time in the summer?!? That's gonna take its toll on the interior (UV light is really hard on interiors) for sure and do you really trust it wide open all the time in Livermore? You sir are one trusting soul, good for you!!! To each their own! Congrats on the new JL, can't wait till I get mine!

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BTW, this thread is getting way off topic! :-D