RPM’s with manual transmission

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
FWIW, I made a round trip across the Appalachians from OH to VA last week and only had to drop to 5th on the longer grades to maintain speed. I think I dropped into 4th once or twice on a couple of steeper grades. Most of my time was spent in 6th at 65-70 mph (the speed limit) and averaged 24 mpg. This was in a bone stock JLUS. My rig turns 2000 rpm at about 73 mph in 6th and about 1800 rpm at 70.
Were you on RT 68? Or PA turnpike? I found 6th gear too tall for any uphill parts of those roads in my JLU sport. For me it was all 5th gear and occasionally 4th for hills.
Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Were you on RT 68? Or PA turnpike? I found 6th gear too tall for any uphill parts of those roads in my JLU sport. For me it was all 5th gear and occasionally 4th for hills.
OH and PA turnpikes for the most part.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
You actually have to shift around 3500 rpms in 3rd gear and up or otherwise it falls below 2000 rpms.

To the OP, sixth gear will only be useful on flat highways when traveling over 70mph. I believe you are spinning just over 2000 rpms at 70mph in 6th gear.
Yes, 3-4th gear, I have to shift over 3k to be over 2k on the 4th. But 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, I am well over 2k if I shift at 3k on JLUR with 4.10 axle gear ratio.
I shift to 6th only when I am at 70.

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
I have had my Jeep since start of October and still not the best at it.

You guys make it sound like the goal is to just not drop below 2k?

I find it wants to sit just under that more often than not but IIm still learning.

Maybe there's some good YouTube videos. I also find I'm not the best at encouraging my Jeep to shift smoothly.

I suppose I should do some research I thought I would just improve naturally farther than I have.

mackerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker JLUR
same here, at 1500-2000 RPM my Rubi can hold speed on level ground, but needs to by over 2k to accelerate. 1st and 2nd gears feel really short and 5/6 are really long highway gears. makes it interesting at speeds about 50 where it feels high in revs for 4th but bogs a little in 5th. its definitely a manual that requires some work from the driver. also of note, I was really shocked at how light the clutch was.

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
right.. that's a recipe for a GREAT transmission. gives you rock crawling/stump pulling first gear, a normal 2-4th.. and then 2 overdrives for better MPGs. smooth as butter, too.
but with any trans, you dont want to be accelerating in overdrive unless youre over 2k rpm.
so, you downshift.... just like an auto downshifts out of top gear 2-3 gears lower when you step on it.
the trans requires some driver input, which i like.

Zuni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Clubs

right.. that's a recipe for a GREAT transmission. gives you rock crawling/stump pulling first gear, a normal 2-4th.. and then 2 overdrives for better MPGs. smooth as butter, too.
but with any trans, you dont want to be accelerating in overdrive unless youre over 2k rpm.
so, you downshift.... just like an auto downshifts out of top gear 2-3 gears lower when you step on it.
the trans requires some driver input, which i like.
With 4.10 the new 6MT in 6th gear has to be at 70 mph to be at 2000 or so. I can't go over 60 so 5th gear is the limit and that's at 2000 too. I should've gotten 4.88s in my 23 JLR. Who wants an off road vehicle that can break 100 mph?
Sponsored