Sponsored

OEM Battery Replacement

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 worked with me early on with the bypass jumper, so he know's what he is talking about. It's the bypass jumper that allows you to run with the aux battery disconnected.
Should also be mentioned that @Jebiruph, got me on this road so to speak. He made me a bypass jumper and sent it to me ... He had made one for himself and hooked me up with one. I will not forget his doing that.... was/is much appreciated.

Anyway, since my JL, no start event a couple of years ago and him sending me the bypass jumper, I have really tried to stay a breast of this JL battery(s) thing lets call it. Much of what I have learned in regard to this is from @Jebiruph .
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
@Rhinebeck01 worked with me early on with the bypass jumper, so he know's what he is talking about. It's the bypass jumper that allows you to run with the aux battery disconnected.
Got it, that makes sense. I have that jumper ready to go, will try that, too.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The interstate battery has a 4 year warranty, you can't get any half decent AGM battery for $150.
My point was that if the interstate were more than $150, I’d fork up the extra cash for the Odyssey. I’ve had interstates last over 8 years.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My point was that if the interstate were more than $150, I’d fork up the extra cash for the Odyssey. I’ve had interstates last over 8 years.
But why? What makes them better?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well I’ve never had an Odyssey, but Optimas we’re indestructible before they cheaped out on manufacturing. It’s my understand that the Odysseys are even more so.

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Well I’ve never had an Odyssey, but Optimas we’re indestructible before they cheaped out on manufacturing. It’s my understand that the Odysseys are even more so.
Any concerns about the fact that you can’t get an odyssey extreme for the JL, their top of the line?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The Interstate isn't near as vibration resistant, isn't a true deep cycle battery, will not last as long in harsh conditions (cold, vibration, heat, winching, high load accessories etc). The quality of its parts are not that of its higher quality competitors. They are a good battery for most things at a price point ,but lets not try and sell Interstate for more than it is. A good all around battery that does just fine in most applications. There's a price point for everything.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I sell Interstate and their lead acid batteries are terrific. Average 4 year life. Years ago I sold Odyssey and they were terrible, maybe they've improved. I'm not an Optima fan, seem to average 2-3 year life but plenty of warranties under a year.

These are Marine applications which are pretty tough on a battery. I just don't see anything out performing or out lasting a traditional and much more affordable Interstate.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I sell Interstate and their lead acid batteries are terrific. Average 4 year life. Years ago I sold Odyssey and they were terrible, maybe they've improved. I'm not an Optima fan, seem to average 2-3 year life but plenty of warranties under a year.

These are Marine applications which are pretty tough on a battery. I just don't see anything out performing or out lasting a traditional and much more affordable Interstate.
That seems like a fairly short life, are you referring to the M- series batteries? We sell only the MT- and MTP-, but now my Jeep takes the AGM battery from the factory I am interested in how their MTX and MTZ series batteries fare.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That seems like a fairly short life, are you referring to the M- series batteries? We sell only the MT- and MTP-, but now my Jeep takes the AGM battery from the factory I am interested in how their MTX and MTZ series batteries fare.
Primarily the XHD and SRM series. Marine is realy hard on batteries, much harsher impacts and vibration, but mostly abuse. They can sit for months without use or charge, or people forget their battery disconnects and drain them completely. They only come with a 1 year warranty max but despite the abuse we often find them still operational 3-4 years later.

I didn't realize the main battery in our JLs was an AGM. Probably not a good idea then to change to lead acid as the voltages are actually a bit different and it's possible to get some weird electrical gremlins creep up from something as simple as a battery change

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhere around 15-20 years ago battery quality went downhill. Maintaining 4-5 vehicles, I'm lucky to see one last through 50-60% of the warranty period and I've tried just about every brand out there. The only exception was a Panasonic AGM in my Miata that lasted 12 years and was the size of a riding lawn mower battery.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Primarily the XHD and SRM series. Marine is realy hard on batteries, much harsher impacts and vibration, but mostly abuse. They can sit for months without use or charge, or people forget their battery disconnects and drain them completely. They only come with a 1 year warranty max but despite the abuse we often find them still operational 3-4 years later.

I didn't realize the main battery in our JLs was an AGM. Probably not a good idea then to change to lead acid as the voltages are actually a bit different and it's possible to get some weird electrical gremlins creep up from something as simple as a battery change
Both of the JL batteries are AGM, so going to get pretty pricey for most people when it comes time for battery changes. Most people don't seem to know that batteries can be quite expensive. I install interstate lead acid MT-series batteries for $250+ all day.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
On a 2020 JL, is there a benefit and/or need to bypass the ess battery? I am fairly certain that it is already showing signs of dying.

I believe the issue of not starting due to bad aux battery has been fixed by the factory. What other reason would I proactively bypass the aux?

Currently my plan is to bypass once it dies.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer