Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
the group 94 will fit along with the ess battery with no problem?
No problem since the group 94 only replaces the main factory battery in the tray with a larger one. The ESS/Aux battery is in another location under the fuse box. However, with a larger CCA main battery you could choose to bypass/remove the smaller 200cca ESS battery.
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
40k on my JL.
Both my main an AUX batteries were replaced on warranty in May of this year. At that point my JLUR was over two years old with 27k miles. Warranty on the battery is 3 years. The new batteries come again with a 3 year warranty.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem since the group 94 only replaces the main factory battery in the tray with a larger one. The ESS/Aux battery is in another location under the fuse box. However, with a larger CCA main battery you could choose to bypass/remove the smaller 200cca ESS battery.
As much as I would love to - careful with bypassing the ESS battery, that opens a whole can of worms. Plenty of threads on that topic.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As much as I would love to - careful with bypassing the ESS battery, that opens a whole can of worms. Plenty of threads on that topic.

@desert runner

Could you post links to the "threads", you mention that lead you to believe "bypassing the ESS battery, that opens a whole can of worms". I have never seen any threads like that....

I have been running my 3.6 JL with the ESS battery, bypassed for well over a year now and say 20,000 miles...

You would not even know the Aux battery was bypassed.

ESS still works if I allow it to.(I use a SmartStopStart unit) . Everything is operating aok...

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
$250+ for an interstate battery? Which series?
I wouldn’t touch an interstate or a optima for that coin.
Odyssey or NorthStar for that money. Best AGM batteries out there. Made in MissourI.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wouldn’t touch an interstate or a optima for that coin.
Odyssey or NorthStar for that money. Best AGM batteries out there. Made in MissourI.
I’m not sure who’s selling interstate’s for that price. Should be well under $150. Agree that any more than $150 I’d just get the odyssey.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I’m not sure who’s selling interstate’s for that price. Should be well under $150. Agree that any more than $150 I’d just get the odyssey.
The interstate battery has a 4 year warranty, you can't get any half decent AGM battery for $150.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Yea, but, I'm an interstate battery dealer...
And.......

nothing inherently wrong with interstate batteries, they just aren’t up to the task vs Odyssey or the like. Interstate is a more economical good battery but not at those prices.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
And.......

nothing inherently wrong with interstate batteries, they just aren’t up to the task vs Odyssey or the like. Interstate is a more economical good battery but not at those prices.
What makes the difference to you? Amp hours, CCA, reliability? Color?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@desert runner

Could you post links to the "threads", you mention that lead you to believe "bypassing the ESS battery, that opens a whole can of worms". I have never seen any threads like that....

I have been running my 3.6 JL with the ESS battery, bypassed for well over a year now and say 20,000 miles...

You would not even know the Aux battery was bypassed.

ESS still works if I allow it to.(I use a SmartStopStart unit) . Everything is operating aok...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/

For example. Claims that the AUX and main batteries are disconnected during engine start, preventing start if the AUX battery is dead.

The next one claims that a firmware upgrade can solve that issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

Could it be that you have that upgrade?

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Over the years I've bought a lot of different brands of batteries for different applications and I've learned that buying a new battery is kinda like taking home a girl at 2 am, you never no whats going to happen the next day....lol. I've had good and bad Interstates, optima's, and oem's. Crazy but true my best luck lately has been the cheaper line batteries from O'reillys or even wally world, explain that!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/

For example. Claims that the AUX and main batteries are disconnected during engine start, preventing start if the AUX battery is dead.

The next one claims that a firmware upgrade can solve that issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

Could it be that you have that upgrade?
@desert runner

No, I did not get the PCM update mentioned in that thread done on my JL.

Whether you had that PCM update done on your JL or not, you can still do as I do, and run with just the Main battery.

Neither thread you have given has any info in it that would cause you to think that you cannot run with just the Main battery as I do.

Disclaimer: I follow this JL forum closely and also browse, JL groups on Facebook and also browse other JL related forums.. I have seen no one but myself, mention/state they are running with just the Main.

As I have mentioned I have had no problems doing so. I checked my records last night and I have been running on just the Main, for about 12.5 months and a tad over 25,000 miles. I have seen no difference running with or without the Aux battery. Though out of the loop/not in use, I still do maintain the Aux battery. It goes on a Battery Tender, twice a month.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@desert runner

No, I did not get the PCM update mentioned in that thread done on my JL.

Whether you had that PCM update done on your JL or not, you can still do as I do, and run with just the Main battery.

Neither thread you have given has any info in it that would cause you to think that you cannot run with just the Main battery as I do.

Disclaimer: I follow this JL forum closely and also browse, JL groups on Facebook and also browse other JL related forums.. I have seen no one but myself, mention/state they are running with just the Main.

As I have mentioned I have had no problems doing so. I checked my records last night and I have been running on just the Main, for about 12.5 months and a tad over 25,000 miles. I have seen no difference running with or without the Aux battery. Though out of the loop/not in use, I still do maintain the Aux battery. It goes on a Battery Tender, twice a month.
@Rhinebeck01 worked with me early on with the bypass jumper, so he know's what he is talking about. It's the bypass jumper that allows you to run with the aux battery disconnected.
Sponsored