My Air Compressor Kit

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Does hose kit come with 5/8 to 1/4" standard fitting?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Larrymuld

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was just thinking that putting it inside an enclosed case wasn't a good idea
I used this everyday during over the summer down in OBX. Yes the compressor got hot when in use but I let it cool down and it was fine. I love the convenience and how it stores in the back of the Jeep.

OP
OP
Larrymuld

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does hose kit come with 5/8 to 1/4" standard fitting?
Sorry I do not remember. I think I bought earlier from Ace hardware or already had it.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Anybody else found any other replacement case/bag for the Smittybilt air compressor? I agree the one that comes with it is lacking.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
What do you do to keep the compressor from popping the pressure relief valve constantly? Do you keep the trigger pressed all the time and then just connect the check to the tire valve while the trigger is already pressed? I just built this setup, and between tire fills the compressor is constantly venting the pressure relief valve.

Good afternoon,

When I got my Smittybuilt air compressor I knew there was a few things that I needed to change right away. 1st thing was to get rid of the flimsy bag that it came with and decided to put it in a tool box. I spent few weeks looking around the web for a big enough tool box that was strong and not too expensive. The second thing I need to do was change the fittings from the Chinese fitting it came with and make them standard. Here is a list of things I used with links.

Smittybilt 2781 5.65 CFM Universal Air Compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K25GMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YOTOO Heavy Duty Air Compressor Accessories Kit 20 Pieces with 1/4 inch x 25 feet Polyurethane Air Compressor Hose, 100 PSI Tire Inflator Gauge, Air Blow Gun and Air Hose Fittings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GC4XBYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Air fitting 5/8 hose to ÂĽ standard fitting

DEWALT 24 in. 1-Touch Latch Tool Box:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-24-in-1-Touch-Latch-Tool-Box-DWST24082/202710560

Sponsored

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What do you do to keep the compressor from popping the pressure relief valve constantly? Do you keep the trigger pressed all the time and then just connect the check to the tire valve while the trigger is already pressed? I just built this setup, and between tire fills the compressor is constantly venting the pressure relief valve.
I’m not sure what compressor you have? But it sounds like your regulator setting is above the pressure relief setting. Turn it down.

OP
OP
Larrymuld

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So, I had these grand ideas of installing a regulator to stop that but I ended up being lazy. When I go to fill my tires I just squeeze the trigger every few seconds to stop it from doing that. Sorry I do not have a cool fix.
Larry

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
it's the same smittybilt 2781. I did not know there was a regulator setting in addition to the pressure relief valve. I do not see instructions on how to adjust the regulator though?
Thanks!

I’m not sure what compressor you have? But it sounds like your regulator setting is above the pressure relief setting. Turn it down.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Thanks! Will probably just do the same as you and release some air every few seconds. Just hate that pressure relief valve sound - mostly from working with compressed gases and usually that popping noise means something bad is happening....

So, I had these grand ideas of installing a regulator to stop that but I ended up being lazy. When I go to fill my tires I just squeeze the trigger every few seconds to stop it from doing that. Sorry I do not have a cool fix.
Larry

Sponsored

OP
OP
Larrymuld

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning,
Since it will be a bit before I will be using the air compressor I am going to add the pressure switch as outlined in this video. Once I do it I will let you know.

OP
OP
Larrymuld

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning,
Since it will be a bit before I will be using the air compressor I am going to add the pressure switch as outlined in this video. Once I do it I will let you know.
I had a chance today to add the pressure switch as shown in the video and I took the opportunity to remove the “extra” bit of hose that air compressor came with. It took me about an hour to complete. I found it easier to do this with the compressor out of the box.

E03EE94A-C540-4B16-ABFF-739D924E704A.jpeg

3A6A1838-1405-44D4-B04D-7A47A22B90F7.jpeg

E653C229-3DAD-486D-BA84-0CACAAE67C17.jpeg
Sponsored