ARB Compressor with MORE mount write-up

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just installed my dual arb compressor using the Mountain Offroad bracket and thought I would share what I did.

Here is the end result:
IMG_5321.JPG

I planned on using one of the four Aux switches so I cut off the switch mount from the MORE bracket along the red line:
more.jpg

The compressor has to plugs. One huge one that goes directly to the battery and a smaller one for the switches. Here is the smaller plug:
IMG_5313.JPG
There are three wires going to this plug. Red, Black, and Purple. Red is capped off and I have no idea why it is there. As I found out later, black (the ground) isn't even needed. It's probably used for all the other switches you can have like front and back ARB lockers which I don't have.

I tossed that wiring harness, cut off the plug and wired the purple directly to my aux2 switch. Nice and simple. I routed the aux2 wire down the passenger side and then over to the drivers side underneath the back seat carpet. I also taped the wire down to the floor so it wouldn't move around. Sorry, no pictures of that.

The large wiring harness which goes directly to the battery is too short so I had to extend it by 10 feet. You will need 2 black 10awg wires, 2 red 10awg wires and 1 black 18awg wire. I recommend staggering the splices so you don't end up with one area of the wires that is really bulky.

Here are some tips on splicing 10awg wire:
IMG_5314.JPG

Push the two wires together while wiggling them a bit. The small wires will intermingle. Then wrap a single strand around the two wires to hold it:
IMG_5315.JPG

Solder the wires together. I used a Weller 200/260watt soldering iron. You need a lot of heat.
IMG_5323.JPG
And then finally shrink wrap it:
IMG_5324.JPG

The large wire harness is covered with a black plastic loom which I tossed the cover before exending the wires by 10 feet each.
Here I am laying down the two red wires to line up the fuses:
IMG_5297.JPG
The next step is to lay down the two black wires:
IMG_5298.JPG
I then taped the wires together every foot and then wrapped the wires with a wire loom for protection.
IMG_5299.JPG

The best way to get through the firewall is through a plastic plug on the drivers side above/left of the pedals:
IMG_5292.JPG
I drilled a hole through the plastic plug, pushed the wires through it and then siliconed the plug in place. I actually used Sekaflex 291 not silicone.
IMG_5294.JPG
Here is a picture of the wires going to the firewall hole:
Follow the lower wire loom. The top one is for my winch relay.
IMG_5302.JPG

It's important to route the wire carefully so as to not cover any of the black plastic side panel clips:
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

I decided to pull apart the large harness plug so that I wouldn't need to splice any more wires. In hind sight I wish I just cut the wires a foot away from the plug and spliced them.
IMG_5312.JPG
Dang it! I the rubber melted away on one of the wires!
IMG_5318.JPG

Here is the the plug on the new wires complete with shrink wrap covering my mistake
IMG_5320.JPG

View attachment 42046

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Nice set up - I ordered my twin and want to mount in the rear also. Couple questions:

- What kind of bracket is that and where did you get it?
- Did you have AUX switches and just go direct to battery instead?
- I can't quite tell how it sits in the back, can you pan out a bit with another pick?
- It looks like you removed a plastic interior panel to seat the mount/compressor?

Thanks and really helpful with the photos!

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Will make life a little easier when I wire up my compressor. Still haven't decided if I want to use the MORE mount and drill into my softop frame or put it in the storage bin and run it only when i have it open.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice set up - I ordered my twin and want to mount in the rear also. Couple questions:

- What kind of bracket is that and where did you get it?
- Did you have AUX switches and just go direct to battery instead?
- I can't quite tell how it sits in the back, can you pan out a bit with another pick?
- It looks like you removed a plastic interior panel to seat the mount/compressor?

Thanks and really helpful with the photos!
The bracket is from M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises)
https://www.mountainoffroad.com/815572023674.html

The compressor:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_900X_PG.htm
It must be wired directly to the battery. It has a harness for that but it is too short. There is another wiring harness just for the switches. (Compressor switch, ARB front locker switch and ARB rear locker switch). The compressor comes with one switch and the lockers come with the other switches. I didn't want to use the switch that came with the compressor because I have the tow package which comes with 4 aux switches built into the dash. You can just wire one of those aux switches directly to the purple wire on the compressor.

I removed the carpet because I have a dog that sheds a lot! You can leave the carpet in.
Is this pic better? It's too dark but it's all I have.
IMG_5325.JPG

Last edited:

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bracket is from M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off-Road Enterprises)
https://www.mountainoffroad.com/815572023674.html

The compressor:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...campaign=retargeting&utm_content=lower-funnel
It must be wired directly to the battery. It has a harness for that but it is too short. There is another wiring harness just for the switches. (Compressor switch, ARB front locker switch and ARB rear locker switch). The compressor comes with one switch and the lockers come with the other switches. I didn't want to use the switch that came with the compressor because I have the tow package which comes with 4 aux switches built into the dash. You can just wire one of those aux switches directly to the purple wire on the compressor.

I removed the carpet because I have a dog that sheds a lot! You can leave the carpet in.
Is this pic better? It's too dark but it's all I have.
IMG_5325.JPG
Thank you! This is exactly what I want - it looks like it will fit the 2-door cabin also but may be partially in the back seat. I wonder why MORE elected for the driver's side when its a straight shot back on the passenger side? Plus the leads to the AUX switches are in the passenger floor area.

This is hugely helpful - I was trying to piece together hose clamps and modifying other brackets to fit on the roll bar or wheel-well. This will be a snap. Dealer told me the build is scheduled for this week on a 2-door... can't wait. 93 days is the average order-to-build time for a 2-door which is nuts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thank you! This is exactly what I want - it looks like it will fit the 2-door cabin also but may be partially in the back seat. I wonder why MORE elected for the driver's side when its a straight shot back on the passenger side? Plus the leads to the AUX switches are in the passenger floor area.

This is hugely helpful - I was trying to piece together hose clamps and modifying other brackets to fit on the roll bar or wheel-well. This will be a snap. Dealer told me the build is scheduled for this week on a 2-door... can't wait. 93 days is the average order-to-build time for a 2-door which is nuts.
The MORE bracket utilizes the carpet attachment bolt on the drivers side is my guess why they went that route. Also, the passenger side has the amplifier in the way. I would be surprised if the MORE bracket will fit a 2dr

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The MORE bracket utilizes the carpet attachment bolt on the drivers side is my guess why they went that route. Also, the passenger side has the amplifier in the way. I would be surprised if the MORE bracket will fit a 2dr
Makes sense - the 2-door speaker is in the floor so maybe that won't be an issue. I just purchased, I think I can use at least one of the two top bolt holes then just drill one between the roof and decking. Hopefully it can be rigged.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering what that bottom hole went to. LOL

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Also, looks like my driver side plug is filled by my man pedal...I mean clutch pedal. Haha.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the writeup. I ended up using the same mount, but had to modify it a little to work with the factory softop(Just drilled a hole in the frame so that I could put a bolt through it and the factory Tor-x driver from the top to tighten it)
I modified the included harness as I don't plan to run lockers/lights to the switch for the moment(I think I will know when it's on :like:) I just ran two wires to the switch eliminating the whole harness minus the power/ground that go to the battery. I still need to find the time to run the power/ground wires, but a quick bench test with a 12v battery everything works great!
I do wish they included a cover for the outside of the switch on the MORE bracket. Maybe I'm anal, but I may end up fabricating something to hide the wires/terminals on the switch when I have the top down(Which is more often than not.)

20180626_181729_resized.jpg
20180626_184241_resized.jpg

badgundog

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018, JK 2008
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my dual arb compressor using the Mountain Offroad bracket and thought I would share what I did.

Here is the end result:
IMG_5321.JPG

I planned on using one of the four Aux switches so I cut off the switch mount from the MORE bracket along the red line:
more.jpg

The compressor has to plugs. One huge one that goes directly to the battery and a smaller one for the switches. Here is the smaller plug:
IMG_5313.JPG
There are three wires going to this plug. Red, Black, and Purple. Red is capped off and I have no idea why it is there. As I found out later, black (the ground) isn't even needed. It's probably used for all the other switches you can have like front and back ARB lockers which I don't have.

I tossed that wiring harness, cut off the plug and wired the purple directly to my aux2 switch. Nice and simple. I routed the aux2 wire down the passenger side and then over to the drivers side underneath the back seat carpet. I also taped the wire down to the floor so it wouldn't move around. Sorry, no pictures of that.

The large wiring harness which goes directly to the battery is too short so I had to extend it by 10 feet. You will need 2 black 10awg wires, 2 red 10awg wires and 1 black 18awg wire. I recommend staggering the splices so you don't end up with one area of the wires that is really bulky.

Here are some tips on splicing 10awg wire:
IMG_5314.JPG

Push the two wires together while wiggling them a bit. The small wires will intermingle. Then wrap a single strand around the two wires to hold it:
IMG_5315.JPG

Solder the wires together. I used a Weller 200/260watt soldering iron. You need a lot of heat.
IMG_5323.JPG
And then finally shrink wrap it:
IMG_5324.JPG

The large wire harness is covered with a black plastic loom which I tossed the cover before exending the wires by 10 feet each.
Here I am laying down the two red wires to line up the fuses:
IMG_5297.JPG
The next step is to lay down the two black wires:
IMG_5298.JPG
I then taped the wires together every foot and then wrapped the wires with a wire loom for protection.
IMG_5299.JPG

The best way to get through the firewall is through a plastic plug on the drivers side above/left of the pedals:
IMG_5292.JPG
I drilled a hole through the plastic plug, pushed the wires through it and then siliconed the plug in place. I actually used Sekaflex 291 not silicone.
IMG_5294.JPG
Here is a picture of the wires going to the firewall hole:
Follow the lower wire loom. The top one is for my winch relay.
IMG_5302.JPG

It's important to route the wire carefully so as to not cover any of the black plastic side panel clips:
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

I decided to pull apart the large harness plug so that I wouldn't need to splice any more wires. In hind sight I wish I just cut the wires a foot away from the plug and spliced them.
IMG_5312.JPG
Dang it! I the rubber melted away on one of the wires!
IMG_5318.JPG

Here is the the plug on the new wires complete with shrink wrap covering my mistake
IMG_5320.JPG

View attachment 42046

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG
I am not a fan of this mounting point. You did an excellent job of putting this together! It will be very helpful to a lot of people.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Tip for those of you that have your compressor mounted here and take your top off and on: rivet the more bracket to the Jeep body. Every time I removed the bolts that hold on the hardtop the compressor would flop forward. This is hard on the lower mounting point. Take a look at the hardtop bolt on the left hand side of the pic. Notice the rivet just beside it. I did the same thing on the other side. Now when I remove the hardtop bolts the compressor stays in place
52915C83-90A8-440F-87CF-970F8534E1E0.jpeg
Sponsored