Sponsored

ARB Compressor with MORE mount write-up

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
All about the beer time...
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The large wiring harness which goes directly to the battery is too short so I had to extend it by 10 feet. You will need 2 black 10awg wires, 2 red 10awg wires and 1 black 18awg wire. I recommend staggering the splices so you don't end up with one area of the wires that is really bulky.
Is 10awg adequate enough from engine bay all the way to the rear to not blow the fuses?

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is 10awg adequate enough from engine bay all the way to the rear to not blow the fuses?
Yes. The dual ARB runs a max load of about 34.3 amps per red wire. If you are okay with a 5% voltage drop then you can get away with 17.5 feet of 10awg wire which is all you should need. Also, 34.3 amps is max load and normal working load is more like 25 amps.

You could run 8awg if you want less voltage drop but I haven't had any issues with 10awg.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. The dual ARB runs a max load of about 34.3 amps per red wire. If you are okay with a 5% voltage drop then you can get away with 17.5 feet of 10awg wire which is all you should need. Also, 34.3 amps is max load and normal working load is more like 25 amps.

You could run 8awg if you want less voltage drop but I haven't had any issues with 10awg.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
Nah im running 10s much easier. Thanks for the info though. Thats what i was looking for

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Nah im running 10s much easier. Thanks for the info though. Thats what i was looking for
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3988.JPG

Hopefully I can post a install video by this weekend. The rain is slowing me down! I am also running two Red 10s, a Black 8, and Black 16 from the battery to the ARB. I just made a new harness from the compressor to the switch on the MORE bracket (pictures attached). Going to do the same type of thing for the cables to the battery. Then a Red 16 to my ignition wires that will plug into the red connector.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3988.JPG

Hopefully I can post a install video by this weekend. The rain is slowing me down! I am also running two Red 10s, a Black 8, and Black 16 from the battery to the ARB. I just made a new harness from the compressor to the switch on the MORE bracket (pictures attached). Going to do the same type of thing for the cables to the battery. Then a Red 16 to my ignition wires that will plug into the red connector.
Haha i hear ya, rains made it pretty difficult! Video should be good man look forward to it. Thatll be sweet havin it off the ignition too. Mines just switched on the compressor its self since its the portable version and i didnt want to dismantle it haha. Not sure if mine has that 16 gauge ill have to check. Your Wire loom looks good though

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Haha i hear ya, rains made it pretty difficult! Video should be good man look forward to it. Thatll be sweet havin it off the ignition too. Mines just switched on the compressor its self since its the portable version and i didnt want to dismantle it haha. Not sure if mine has that 16 gauge ill have to check. Your Wire loom looks good though
Thanks! Trying to get ready for MOAB!

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Here is an install video.

suburbanjeeper

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Does anyone have this setup modified to work with a diabolical slipstream?

Sponsored

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have this setup modified to work with a diabolical slipstream?
I think the compressor would stick up to much for their cover. You might need to mount this under a seat for it to work with the slipstream.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering where you grounded the black wires. I attached mine to the black battery terminal. Now the Auto Stop Start is showing a warning on the dash.

Should moving the ground to the body bolt solve this?

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am wondering where you grounded the black wires. I attached mine to the black battery terminal. Now the Auto Stop Start is showing a warning on the dash.

Mine are grounded directly to the negative of the main battery and my ESS is working fine.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Mine are grounded directly to the negative of the main battery and my ESS is working fine.
Mine is hooked up directly to the battery also. It shouldn't cause an ESS error.

cchapa59

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON JLU 2018
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my dual arb compressor using the Mountain Offroad bracket and thought I would share what I did.

Here is the end result:
IMG_5321.JPG

I planned on using one of the four Aux switches so I cut off the switch mount from the MORE bracket along the red line:
more.jpg

The compressor has to plugs. One huge one that goes directly to the battery and a smaller one for the switches. Here is the smaller plug:
IMG_5313.JPG
There are three wires going to this plug. Red, Black, and Purple. Red is capped off and I have no idea why it is there. As I found out later, black (the ground) isn't even needed. It's probably used for all the other switches you can have like front and back ARB lockers which I don't have.

I tossed that wiring harness, cut off the plug and wired the purple directly to my aux2 switch. Nice and simple. I routed the aux2 wire down the passenger side and then over to the drivers side underneath the back seat carpet. I also taped the wire down to the floor so it wouldn't move around. Sorry, no pictures of that.

The large wiring harness which goes directly to the battery is too short so I had to extend it by 10 feet. You will need 2 black 10awg wires, 2 red 10awg wires and 1 black 18awg wire. I recommend staggering the splices so you don't end up with one area of the wires that is really bulky.

Here are some tips on splicing 10awg wire:
IMG_5314.JPG

Push the two wires together while wiggling them a bit. The small wires will intermingle. Then wrap a single strand around the two wires to hold it:
IMG_5315.JPG

Solder the wires together. I used a Weller 200/260watt soldering iron. You need a lot of heat.
IMG_5323.JPG
And then finally shrink wrap it:
IMG_5324.JPG

The large wire harness is covered with a black plastic loom which I tossed the cover before exending the wires by 10 feet each.
Here I am laying down the two red wires to line up the fuses:
IMG_5297.JPG
The next step is to lay down the two black wires:
IMG_5298.JPG
I then taped the wires together every foot and then wrapped the wires with a wire loom for protection.
IMG_5299.JPG

The best way to get through the firewall is through a plastic plug on the drivers side above/left of the pedals:
IMG_5292.JPG
I drilled a hole through the plastic plug, pushed the wires through it and then siliconed the plug in place. I actually used Sekaflex 291 not silicone.
IMG_5294.JPG
Here is a picture of the wires going to the firewall hole:
Follow the lower wire loom. The top one is for my winch relay.
IMG_5302.JPG

It's important to route the wire carefully so as to not cover any of the black plastic side panel clips:
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

I decided to pull apart the large harness plug so that I wouldn't need to splice any more wires. In hind sight I wish I just cut the wires a foot away from the plug and spliced them.
IMG_5312.JPG
Dang it! I the rubber melted away on one of the wires!
IMG_5318.JPG

Here is the the plug on the new wires complete with shrink wrap covering my mistake
IMG_5320.JPG

View attachment 42046

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG
You will need to change the power cable running to the battery. 10awg is not enough the compressor has a maximum draw of 60amps on a 12volt installation. Meaning you need 6awg or at least 8awg ( this one is 40amps rated) just like the maxi fuse 40amp.

Here is my imstallation on a fabtech rack

20190618_203407.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0