Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Selec trac. Biggest advantage for non hard core rock crawling owners.
Again....why? It's just a torque biased tcase with no 4:1 (probably 2.72:1). Help me understand what's so advantageous about it.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
People gotta justify thier purchase....
its the price of a rubicon with:
NO 4.10’s
No lockers
No 33’s
No sway disco
No low range t case
LSD rear that doesnt truely lock
Loud tires ....

The apperance and name re create the image of a robust offroad rig with none of the platform hardware to use as even a start point to customize for anything serious.
Not everyone who buys a Jeep is going to do "anything serious." This package is not for you. We get it. Not everyone wants the same thing.

And by the way Jeep has been releasing Moab models based on the Sahara for years. It is just a name that sounds off-roadish.

I'm really wondering what someone who is going to be 99% on pavement is supposed to do. Buy a Rubicon with a bunch of stuff they will never use? Or just not buy a Jeep because it offends some of you?

TX MOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 MOAB
NO 4.10’s
No lockers
No 33’s
No sway disco
No low range t case
Loud tires ....

The apperance and name re create the image of a robust offroad rig with none of the platform hardware to use as even a start point to customize for anything serious.
Lol. Like MOAB owners were ripped off and rubicon owners simply got it right.

Fun fact: the number one reason people buy a rubicon is because it looks like a rubicon and won’t use it an any way that it’s built for.

The MOAB is an optioned out Sahara with a few rubicon parts. If you like it fine, if not, nbd. No need to rank or tier the buyers.

Last edited:

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
My dealer usually keeps well over 30 jls. Stopped by earlier to check on a part and they didn't have a single Moab. I actually like that they don't sell as many. Still wouldn't buy one but I like the rarer options

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My dealer usually keeps well over 30 jls. Stopped by earlier to check on a part and they didn't have a single Moab. I actually like that they don't sell as many. Still wouldn't buy one but I like the rarer options
My dealer was the same - usually lots of Sport S and Rubicon options, with a decent amount of Sahara's. Zero Moab's until they saw the one that I custom ordered and raved about how much they loved it. Now there's about a half a dozen or so on the lot.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Lol. Like MOAB owners were ripped off and rubicon owners simply got it right.

Fun fact: the number one reason people buy a rubicon is because it looks like a rubicon and won’t use it an any way that it’s built for.

The MOAB is an optioned out Sahara with a few rubicon parts. If you like it fine, if not, nbd. No need to rank or tier the buyers.
Lol says the moab owner

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Ha! I had forgot about Crown Vic guy. We were on Hell’s Revenge and heard little bells, looked behind us, and there he was.

100_1191.jpg

God I miss the Crown Vic. I killed the last one we had. They were slow, heavy, had sloppy steering feel, understeered into a corner and oversteered out of it, but damn I love the car. Roomy, fit all my gear in the trunk, and the seats were like grandmas living room couch; beat up and spacious. I’d drive one everyday if we had any left. Hate these newfangled grocery getters.

macycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
NO 4.10’s
No lockers
No 33’s
No sway disco
No low range t case
Loud tires ....

The appearance and name re-create the image of a robust offroad rig with none of the platform hardware to use as even a start point to customize for anything serious.
When I was trying to decide which one to get, I came up with an approximately $1500 dollar difference between an equivalently optioned Rubicon versus a Moab (with the Rubicon being a bit more expensive). Since the Moab is loaded with lots of options, an apples to apples comparison should be based on a Rubicon with equivalent options.

The Rubi is definitely more capable for hardcore offroading with
4.10:1 axle gear ratio and 33" all-terrain tires vs. 3.45:1 axle gear ratio and 32" mud-terrain tires
Electronic fully locking front and rear differentials vs. limited slip front and rear differentials
Sway bar disconnect vs. n/a
4:1 Rock-Trac HD part time 4WD System vs. 2.72:1 Selec-Trac full time 4WD system
Front and rear steel bumpers vs. Front steel bumper only

A key point though is that one could order a Rubicon with fewer options at a significantly lower price.

So guess which one I ordered (hopefully it will be built any day now) ......

I ordered a Rubicon! My thinking was that for not too much more money, I would get all the advantages of the Rubicon listed above with no drawbacks under most driving conditions (especially here in sunny SoCal).

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
God I miss the Crown Vic. I killed the last one we had. They were slow, heavy, had sloppy steering feel, understeered into a corner and oversteered out of it, but damn I love the car. Roomy, fit all my gear in the trunk, and the seats were like grandmas living room couch; beat up and spacious. I’d drive one everyday if we had any left. Hate these newfangled grocery getters.
I sure wouldn’t mind a nice, low mileage Mercury Marauder as a daily driver. Not a fan of transverse mounted engine, front wheel drive eggs.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
When I was trying to decide which one to get, I came up with an approximately $1500 dollar difference between an equivalently optioned Rubicon versus a Moab (with the Rubicon being a bit more expensive). Since the Moab is loaded with lots of options, an apples to apples comparison should be based on a Rubicon with equivalent options.

The Rubi is definitely more capable for hardcore offroading with
4.10:1 axle gear ratio and 33" all-terrain tires vs. 3.45:1 axle gear ratio and 32" mud-terrain tires
Electronic fully locking front and rear differentials vs. limited slip front and rear differentials
Sway bar disconnect vs. n/a
4:1 Rock-Trac HD part time 4WD System vs. 2.72:1 Selec-Trac full time 4WD system
Front and rear steel bumpers vs. Front steel bumper only

A key point though is that one could order a Rubicon with fewer options at a significantly lower price.

So guess which one I ordered (hopefully it will be built any day now) ......

I ordered a Rubicon! My thinking was that for not too much more money, I would get all the advantages of the Rubicon listed above with no drawbacks under most driving conditions (especially here in sunny SoCal).
Great choice. MOAb is just an appearance package for a LOT of money. Rubicon re-sale will be way better also.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I really like the moab rims, wish they were an option on the saharas. Besides that the rubicon and moab do nothing for me. I don't really like overstated tires or lifts and fake hood scoops annoy me. So the sahara was for me. But different strokes, more options the better.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think Moab missed there slot, for me I’d like to have seen it be offered above the rubicon with v8 and 2” higher with 35s from factory with Dana 60 axles the ability maybe 4 wheel drive system that’s on the hummer etc... if your going to make a specialty wrangler, make one. I know it would cost a lot more money, but I think it would be more justifiable. :)

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I think Moab missed there slot, for me I’d like to have seen it be offered above the rubicon with v8 and 2” higher with 35s from factory with Dana 60 axles the ability maybe 4 wheel drive system that’s on the hummer etc... if your going to make a specialty wrangler, make one. I know it would cost a lot more money, but I think it would be more justifiable. :)
THIS.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.