Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Boring Rock Crawling = Rubicon

Ya, maybe the rest of us just aren't doing it right.

He's doing it for a lot less money. Guess that's what skill does for you. ;)
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Kinda my point. ;)
Re-read what I posted earlier...wheeling within one’s comfort level...heck, on Hell’s Revenge, we were following a built ATV and the guy just wouldn’t scale a ledge with it. This is in one of the areas you need to get by to exit the trail. Again, without lockers, I just motored on up and over, when he finally got out of the way.

My point is you don’t need a built rig, Rubicon or whatever to play Moab. At last year’s EJS there was a Jeep engineer is in stock 1999 TJ going more places than guys in sponsored rigs. Talk about embarrassing the “elite” build guys. Just sayin...

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Re-read what I posted earlier...wheeling within one’s comfort level...heck, on Hell’s Revenge, we were following a built ATV and the guy just wouldn’t scale a ledge with it. This is in one of the areas you need to get by to exit the trail. Again, without lockers, I just motored on up and over, when he finally got out of the way.

My point is you don’t need a built rig, Rubicon or whatever to play Moab. At last year’s EJS there was a Jeep engineer is in stock 1999 TJ going more places than guys in sponsored rigs. Talk about embarrassing the “elite” build guys. Just sayin...
I don't disagree with any of that. Seen lots of weird stuff in Moab...from a Honda Accord gettin' it at PSH to seeing vids of Crown Vics and Kia Sorentos on Hell's Revenge.

I'm just saying it is a rare thing for an open diff'd rig to do any of the actual obstacles on the trail (the ones I mentioned) b/c from a mechanical advantage standpoint, you have to be trying it in a vehicle you don't care about at all b/c the potential for carnage and need for momentum to overcome the disadvantage of not having lockers is so great that anything less and you simply won't make it.

In other words, if you want to be able to do the real obstacles in Moab and still be able to drive it home at the end of your trip, you probably need lockers. LSDs aren't going to cut it.

Jwillads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Range Rover SC, 2018 Audi Q7, 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t get the MOAB haters. I have had a Sahara and a rubicon. Back in the market for a new Jeep. Rubi and Moab both have features I like. To be honest, MOAB likely fits me better due to select trac and northeastern winters/roads. Rubi looks cooler with the higher clearance fenders. I doubt I would be taking a Rubi to its potential. The only thing I do not like about the MOAB is not being able to order a non body colored hard top. If that was an option on a MOAB, would go MOAB all day long.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t get the MOAB haters. I have had a Sahara and a rubicon. Back in the market for a new Jeep. Rubi and Moab both have features I like. To be honest, MOAB likely fits me better due to select trac and northeastern winters/roads. Rubi looks cooler with the higher clearance fenders. I doubt I would be taking a Rubi to its potential. The only thing I do not like about the MOAB is not being able to order a non body colored hard top. If that was an option on a MOAB, would go MOAB all day long.
Help me out with the whole "selec-trac" thing....when it snows, I just put whatever tcase I'm running in 4hi. Selectrac is just AWD, right? I don't see any need for a torque bias f/r. So, what's the big advantage then; other than the alleged advantage of LSD?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Help me out with the whole "selec-trac" thing....when it snows, I just put whatever tcase I'm running in 4hi. Selectrac is just AWD, right? I don't see any need for a torque bias f/r. So, what's the big advantage then other than the alleged advantage of LSD?
I think it’s the clutch type lsd as well, right?

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Think it's funny that I'm a "hater" because I didn't get it. Honestly, I was looking at it the wrong way is all.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Help me out with the whole "selec-trac" thing....when it snows, I just put whatever tcase I'm running in 4hi. Selectrac is just AWD, right? I don't see any need for a torque bias f/r. So, what's the big advantage then other than the alleged advantage of LSD?
Haha yup! Clutch pack in the t-case... just like the 90’s discovery and Gwagon. With the ability to “lock”.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I don't disagree with any of that. Seen lots of weird stuff in Moab...from a Honda Accord gettin' it at PSH to seeing vids of Crown Vics and Kia Sorentos on Hell's Revenge.
Ha! I had forgot about Crown Vic guy. We were on Hell’s Revenge and heard little bells, looked behind us, and there he was.

100_1191.jpg

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Think it's funny that I'm a "hater" because I didn't get it. Honestly, I was looking at it the wrong way is all.
People gotta justify thier purchase....
its the price of a rubicon with:
NO 4.10’s
No lockers
No 33’s
No sway disco
No low range t case
LSD rear that doesnt truely lock
Loud tires ....

The apperance and name re create the image of a robust offroad rig with none of the platform hardware to use as even a start point to customize for anything serious.

Sponsored

Jwillads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Range Rover SC, 2018 Audi Q7, 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Snow driving goes back and forth between dry pavement and snow covered. Select trac compensates for that vs 4h in a Rubi. 97% daily driver vs off-roading. My bet is most Rubi owners are closet dailey drivers the majority of the time. I like features of each, just don’t like the MOAB bashers that say why not just buy a Rubi.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Snow driving goes back and forth between dry pavement and snow covered. Select trac compensates for that vs 4h in a Rubi. 97% daily driver vs off-roading. My bet is most Rubi owners are closet dailey drivers the majority of the time. I like features of each, just don’t like the MOAB bashers that say why not just buy a Rubi.
A Rubi owner can’t help but ask the question. The price difference is so close that it’s insignificant.

Last edited:

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
A Rubin owner can’t help but ask the question. The price difference is so close that it’s insignificant.
Worse yet if you want to do real trails youll have a rig with open diffs!

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Been driving on surfaces that are pavement-like (been to Moab or Sand Hollow?) in 4wd for years. No issues. I don't know why people make such a big deal about this stuff. Dry to wet in 4wd, provided you're not see-sawing the wheels or trying to take corners like you're in a Lotus isn't a problem.

Agree....I'd wager 95% of Rubicon (or any other 4wd owners) barely wheel them and no where near their capabilities, as you said.

That said, I'm not bashing the MOAB at all...but if you're going to spend the money and you want capability over creature comforts, the Rubicon is a better choice. That said, it's not my money so it ain't my business. Problem is: you have a lot of people on this site with no clue about what harder wheeling is about and if they want to get into it eventually....then the MOAB isn't the best choice. If they just plan to lightly wheel it and mainly use it for commuting...the MOAB makes all kinds of sense.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.