MOAB...I just don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I have a rubicon and just built a Moab on Jeeps site as close to mine as I could. It was priced $705 more and you get the Sahara Command track 4x4 instead of the rubicon Rock track 4x4, you only get the rear axle from the rubicon(which is a $2200+ part from Mopar) not the front, you get both with the rubicon, you get the Sahara 3.45 gear ratio not the 4.10, you only get the front steel bumper not the rear like with the rubicon, and Moab doesn’t list front disconnecting sway bar. It’s ridiculous Jeep would even offer a Moab at that price.
So your Rubi build also has 8 Speed Auto, LED Lighting, 8.4" UConnect (with Alpine Stereo), Active Safety, Body Colored Top, Body Fenders, Leather Seats, All Weather Floor Mats, Headliners, Keyless Entry? Because when I price out a Rubi with all those standard features that come on the Moab it's actually more expensive (53,780 vs 52,695). Also something I was surprised at, the jeep site says that the bumpers on the Rubi are modeled plastic and the steel are an option, I thought they were standard. Anyway, so while the front steel is standard on the Moab you have to pay $1300 to get both on the Rubi.

My point is just because your Rubi build doesn't have stuff that comes standard on the Moab that you don't want doesn't mean the MOAB is overpriced... it just means it comes with different stuff. You can actually build a Sport S that is more $$ then a base model Rubi.

Both models also comes with things you can't get on the other and that is where the real differences come into play. Depending on what you plan on using your Jeep for that is what will make your choice. I wanted the option of full time AWD, this is my daily and it's also the thing we'll take on vacations and trips up into the mountains etc. I wanted the ability to put it in AWD and forget about it if I'm driving through various mixes of weather (which happens all the time in New England, dry roads one second, rain a minute later then white out conditions the next).

My offloading will be limited to up to Class 4/5 roads at most.
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
It did well. Not wanting to disappoint you, I had 5.38’s on this one. ;)

1D6C4A83-0104-43FB-9E6F-3015868C9FC3.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It did well. Not wanting to disappoint you, I had 5.38’s on this one. ;)

1D6C4A83-0104-43FB-9E6F-3015868C9FC3.jpeg
no worries. The current trend is to go with huge tires but it looks like your rigs are built for actual rocks rather than the looks. :)

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's a simple equation.

If you daily drive a jeep to work and back, take it out at night for a nice dinner with the wife or girlfriend, take it to the beach, road trips, trail riding, basic off-roading and is your sole vehicle then a Sahara or MOAB is VERY capable.

If you need to go climb a rock get a Rubicon.

:giggle:

IMG_0775.jpeg
My wife daily drives a Rubicon and I enjoy it when she takes me out to dinner. She also feels the need to go climb a rock occasionally.

Good looking Jeep, brother. Love those doors.

:like:

5AE1E504-A251-457C-844B-E490652BAFC1.jpeg

5F656EBE-8086-4C14-AB7B-850F3A40788C.jpeg

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Very interesting that the Moab gets so much attention and discussion. So, yes not a Sahara, not a Rubicon, but something in between.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I really like the combination.
But I like all Wranglers.
To each his own. Probably why they're so popular.

Sponsored

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The fact is MOAB's are a special case scenario, if you're the buyer the MOAB is oriented to, then it'll have exactly what you need. If you're not, than you can keep it to yourself.

phantomog73

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mojito Moab
Yeah, I really don't know for sure either. I just know from videos I have seen that MOAB has some impressive challenges for sure.

I guess I am used to special editions being something more, and that maybe I expected more based on the name. It's all good though. I thank you all for the discussion. I can see the benefits of the MOAB now more than I did before. Just needed to lift the veil I guess.
So, MOAB may have some really difficult trails, I wouldn't know. However, I think they used the name because it went along with the Jeep scheme of things. Capability wise, I think it fits fine. After all the 2019 Kia Sorento was filmed going up trails in Moab as well, but I think the Jeep is more deserving of the name.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Why? It seems to me that the MOAB is basically a fully loaded Sahara with Rubicon fenders. I just feel that it should be a more capable off road vehicle than the Rubicon if it is going to be named MOAB, right? Not just more capable navigating the treacherous turns of a Starbucks drive through.
Ive been saying this for months. Basically the most mall ninja of all the models ...

Status
Not open for further replies.