Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Front axle is open, with traction control/BLD. I haven't noticed much slippage with the front wheels. I also haven't done any extreme articulation where a wheel is off the ground (Where a locker would really be handy) so I'm not sure how it would do in that situation. I think with the limited slip in the rear it would still push forward but not as easily as a locked diff.
I used to have Sahara and I did get in a situation where one front wheels lost contact with the ground, had to use accelerator so much to get the bld to work that it was unsafe being there wasn’t a lot of landing room. That’s why I sold it and got rubicon. Also didn’t like having that dragged back feeling every time I went through mud, but I did like traveling in 4 hi at speed, so I made it so I can lock up in 2wd 4 h and 4lo, now for me, this is the best case senerio :) This is purely for my situation, not knocking Sahara’s capability by any means, I’m just trying to get another perspective out there. :beer:.
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my opinion, for what it’s worth :)

When considering open, limited slip, and locked differentials I’ve got a decent amount of real world experience to share. I’ve owned Jeeps with open diffs, rear LSD, lunchbox lockers, and electronic lockers. Wheeling these Jeeps has been my number one hobby since 2006.

There are not many real world situations where a LSD is going to give you much more than an open diff will. Does it provide a little more security? Sure. But it is inherently an open diff with a little help from a pack of friction pads. Once it slips, it slips... and you are in the same situation as an open diff. It should also be noted that those clutch packs/friction pads will eventually wear out and lose friction so you are left with the function of an open diff. This happened to me with a Ford 8.8 LSD that I swapped into a TJ. Granted, that rear end saw a lot of rock crawling so it was put into a lot of situations where the LSD would slip and that can wear out the friction pads prematurely.

Bottom line:
Do you get a little more traction with an limited slip differential over an open differential? Absolutely.
Can it still slip? Absolutely, and it will.
Has there been any situation during my 12 years of wheeling that I said, “Man, i wish I had a LSD!”? Absolutely not.

That being said, I think the Moab is a cool special edition. Obviously there are folks that are really into it, and, esthetically, there are some great looking Moabs out there. I wouldn’t expect many hardcore wheelers to be going that route, but hey this is America and it’s your money. Buy what you like. If you’re not going to be wheeling a lot then you probably don’t need a lot of the Rubicon hardware anyways.

For me, I bought my Rubi before the Moab was available. I have to admit. I’m envious of the premium rock rails/steps!

When comparing the two, you need to consider what you are getting. Let’s be honest: if a Moab and a Rubicon are at the same price point then the Moab will be geared towards the creature comforts and the Rubicon will be the off-reader with the serious hardware.

For me, the Rubicon hardware that is missing on the Moab is enough to keep me pointed at Rubicon:

Dana 44 front axle.
RockTrac 4:1 transfer case
High line fenders that accommodate larger tires.
Electronic sway bar disconnect.
Electronic, positive-locking front and rear differentials.

Again, buy whichever Jeep suits your fancy but don’t mislead anyone by saying that they are comparable off-road. The above-mentioned hardware that is missing on the Moab is substantial.

Happy Jeeping! :rock:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have Sahara and I did get in a situation where one front wheels lost contact with the ground, had to use accelerator so much to get the bld to work that it was unsafe being there wasn’t a lot of landing room. That’s why I sold it and got rubicon. Also didn’t like having that dragged back feeling every time I went through mud, but I did like traveling in 4 hi at speed, so I made it so I can lock up in 2wd 4 h and 4lo, now for me, this is the best case senerio :) This is purely for my situation, not knocking Sahara’s capability by any means, I’m just trying to get another perspective out there. :beer:.
No worries, I know I didn't get all of the top of the line off road goodies, but I got one that would suit me well as a daily driver first with the ability to handle the bad weather and off road as well. I don't expect to be doing any major rock crawling and Mud seems to be the chief obstacle I've encountered so far. I haven't had any problems with it axle deep and she powers through it well. I do plan on upgrading the tires to either Duratrac or KO2 once my current set wears out, so that will be an improvement as well.

Did your old Sahara have the Limited slip or open diff in the rear?

thatREDrubiJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
where is it so much more expensive than a Rubicon exactly ? Yes Moab is loaded, but no more than a typical Rubicon build. Why don't you go troll the other parts of the forum in the Rubicon section if that is your interest
I have a rubicon and just built a Moab on Jeeps site as close to mine as I could. It was priced $705 more and you get the Sahara Command track 4x4 instead of the rubicon Rock track 4x4, you only get the rear axle from the rubicon(which is a $2200+ part from Mopar) not the front, you get both with the rubicon, you get the Sahara 3.45 gear ratio not the 4.10, you only get the front steel bumper not the rear like with the rubicon, and Moab doesn’t list front disconnecting sway bar. It’s ridiculous Jeep would even offer a Moab at that price.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The Rubicon may be the more capable off-roader, but the Wrangler Saharatends to be the one to pick if you spend most of your time driving on paved roads. Thanks to its street-oriented tires, less-bare-bones cabin, and longer list of creature comforts, it's meant to be the most enjoyable daily driver in the Wrangler lineup. If you're the kind of customer who likes the Sahara's refinement but still wants most of the Rubicon's rock-crawling capabilities, Jeep just announced a new version called the Moab Edition.

The Moab Edition is a limited-edition Wrangler based on the Sahara. It gets the Rubicon's hood and steel bumpers, 17-inch Rubicon wheels with 32-inch mud tires, Rubicon rock rails, a full-time two-speed transfer case, and a limited-slip rear differential. The Moab Edition also comes with keyless entry, leather-trimmed seats, a leather-wrapped dash, an 8.4-inch touchscreen, navigation, the upgraded nine-speaker Alpine sound system, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert. A "Moab" decal and several black accents complete the look.

Sponsored

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
Not bashing your choice in a Jeep, but, yeah school me how a it is more capable and what situation.
its not but people feel like they need to defend their choice of getting a sahara over a rubicon. Probably because Rubi owners call them out.

Hey I only have a sport cause I cant afford a Rubi, I dont see the point in a sahara at all but some people really like the way the look and its their cash

thatREDrubiJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did the math a while back, and a similarly-equipped Rubicon IS a little bit more than a Moab. Just sayin...
I have a rubicon and just built a Moab on Jeeps site as close to mine as I could. It was priced $705 more and you get the Sahara Command track instead of the rubicon Rock track 4x4, you only get the rear axle from the rubicon(which is a $2200 part from Mopar) not the front, you get both with the rubicon, you get the Sahara 3.45 gear ratio not the 4.10, you only get the front steel bumper not the rear like with the rubicon, and the sway bar disconnect. It’s just that your not getting the more quality parts for the money they want. If you tried to upgrade all that it would cost way more. Dude, don’t get me wrong your Moab looks so sweet, I’m just arguing the point that a Moab shouldn’t be close or more than a Rubicon in my opinion. ✌

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No worries, I know I didn't get all of the top of the line off road goodies, but I got one that would suit me well as a daily driver first with the ability to handle the bad weather and off road as well. I don't expect to be doing any major rock crawling and Mud seems to be the chief obstacle I've encountered so far. I haven't had any problems with it axle deep and she powers through it well. I do plan on upgrading the tires to either Duratrac or KO2 once my current set wears out, so that will be an improvement as well.

Did your old Sahara have the Limited slip or open diff in the rear?[/QUOTE

The one I had was loaded, had Dana 44 with lsd in rear. They’re nice but I really wanted lockers, and was going to get air lockers, or e lockers aftermarket, but that was going to cost me more than selling it and buying rubicon. I got lucky really, I sold it to a buddy who wanted it from day I bought it. You may remember it, I relocated my back up camera to my bumper in that one,
A361DE30-0701-47BD-A219-B44BB0455C97.jpeg
it was on front page for a while.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my opinion, for what it’s worth :)

When considering open, limited slip, and locked differentials I’ve got a decent amount of real world experience to share. I’ve owned Jeeps with open diffs, rear LSD, lunchbox lockers, and electronic lockers. Wheeling these Jeeps has been my number one hobby since 2006.

There are not many real world situations where a LSD is going to give you much more than an open diff will. Does it provide a little more security? Sure. But it is inherently an open diff with a little help from a pack of friction pads. Once it slips, it slips... and you are in the same situation as an open diff. It should also be noted that those clutch packs/friction pads will eventually wear out and lose friction so you are left with the function of an open diff. This happened to me with a Ford 8.8 LSD that I swapped into a TJ. Granted, that rear end saw a lot of rock crawling so it was put into a lot of situations where the LSD would slip and that can wear out the friction pads prematurely.

Bottom line:
Do you get a little more traction with an limited slip differential over an open differential? Absolutely.
Can it still slip? Absolutely, and it will.
Has there been any situation during my 12 years of wheeling that I said, “Man, i wish I had a LSD!”? Absolutely not.

That being said, I think the Moab is a cool special edition. Obviously there are folks that are really into it, and, esthetically, there are some great looking Moabs out there. I wouldn’t expect many hardcore wheelers to be going that route, but hey this is America and it’s your money. Buy what you like. If you’re not going to be wheeling a lot then you probably don’t need a lot of the Rubicon hardware anyways.

For me, I bought my Rubi before the Moab was available. I have to admit. I’m envious of the premium rock rails/steps!

When comparing the two, you need to consider what you are getting. Let’s be honest: if a Moab and a Rubicon are at the same price point then the Moab will be geared towards the creature comforts and the Rubicon will be the off-reader with the serious hardware.

For me, the Rubicon hardware that is missing on the Moab is enough to keep me pointed at Rubicon:

Dana 44 front axle.
RockTrac 4:1 transfer case
High line fenders that accommodate larger tires.
Electronic sway bar disconnect.
Electronic, positive-locking front and rear differentials.

Again, buy whichever Jeep suits your fancy but don’t mislead anyone by saying that they are comparable off-road. The above-mentioned hardware that is missing on the Moab is substantial.

Happy Jeeping! :rock:
I would say you regularly went above and beyond what most people with a limited slip diff would do. :) If I went off road all the time then yes the Rubicon would be the obvious choice. As a daily driver first and foremost the fuel mileage hit you get with the 4.10 axles was what lead me away from the Rubi towards the Sahara. The JK Rubicon had an optional 3.73 gearing that would have kept me looking if it had carried over to the JL. I think thats Kind of the direction the MOAB went but more on the side of an enhanced Sahara rather than a toned down Rubicon.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky I think I remember seeing that thread with the camera relocate. Pretty cool.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The new trim moniker "Moab" confused me a bit during my research to buy my first Jeep. I've been around Jeeps enough to know about the Rubicon trail, Moab UT and what those places mean to off-roaders. My brother has had various highly modified Jeeps for 4 decades.

One of the guys at work has a lifted late JKU with a decal "MOAB" on the hood. I saw it almost a year ago in the parking lot and was curious and looked into it. It was built up by a company named Moab, which buys aftermarket equipment from various makers and modifies Jeeps. This particular one has 35s and maybe a 5-6" lift, but doesn't have a 44 front axle.

So, when I decided I wanted a Jeep for my hunting in my retired years, I saw Jeep was offering a trim level called Moab. I figured it was a more outfitted Rubicon.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
It's a simple equation.

If you daily drive a jeep to work and back, take it out at night for a nice dinner with the wife or girlfriend, take it to the beach, road trips, trail riding, basic off-roading and is your sole vehicle then a Sahara or MOAB is VERY capable.

If you need to go climb a rock get a Rubicon.

:giggle:

IMG_0775.jpeg

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Hey I only have a sport cause I cant afford a Rubi, I dont see the point in a sahara at all but some people really like the way the look and its their cash
Nothing wrong with a sport. My first JK was a 2 door bare bones sport. Had a shop find me a Rubicon t-case with 5000 miles on it from a junk yard and install it. Had it re-geared to 4.56 with some traction aids, added some sway bar disconnects, and viola, a $23k Rubicon.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with a sport. My first JK was a 2 door bare bones sport. Had a shop find me a Rubicon t-case with 5000 miles on it from a junk yard and install it. Had it re-geared to 4.56 with some traction aids, added some sway bar disconnects, and viola, a $23k Rubicon.
How big were the tires to need a 4.56 ratio? wow!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I figured it was a more outfitted Rubicon.
I'd consider the MOAB more of an enhanced Sahara. For hunting? Any Wrangler will be great for that, unless you're hunting mountain goats in rocky terrain, then the Rubicon would be the way to go.
Sponsored

Reactions: Jnz
Status
Not open for further replies.