Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I bought the Tazer Mini for the tire size function. Since then, I’ve used it to:
  1. Activate the halos on the Mopar LED headlamps
  2. Activate the front LED turn signals
  3. Disable SiriusXM TravelLink weather alerts
  4. Reprogram tire size two more times
  5. Lower the TPMS threshold
  6. Change gear ratio to 4.88
  7. Disable ESS —I have enabled it since
At $125 per visit, I’d have had to pay the dealer over $1,000 to get all these done. So the Tazer has more than paid for itself.
You didn't disable auto stop/start and the three honks?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't disable auto stop/start and the three honks?
Yes. See No. 7. But I have enabled it since then.

Dunno about the three honks...

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
ill second the jscan its what i use from programing lights to tires to radio and controls

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
I have the AEV procal from when I did my lift. Honestly JScan is way easier to use and if your not using taser that is what everyone else uses. All in for under $75 for what you need. Download the app and it has a demo mode that you can see all the functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Generatic-Chrysler-Cable-Autel-Maxisys/dp/B08LYT62J9/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2LUE1M38XBJNG&keywords=chrysler+12+8&qid=1679746336&sprefix=chrysler+12,aps,87&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?crid=3NRYQO7QQCX2V&keywords=bluetooth+obd&qid=1679746398&sprefix=bluetooth+obd,aps,87&sr=8-15

Cables connect to OBD reader them to gateway cables. Once your programming is done you plug every thing back in to stock. If your not programming you can just plug in the reader to look at codes and clear them if need be. JScan app is free but I think it’s like $20 to get a license that is set to your vin and good for life.

E4F83500-E766-4965-B1BE-56CB7499CC58.png
one of the exact same setups i have and now use only this setup

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yes. See No. 7. But I have enabled it since then.

Dunno about the three honks...
My bad. I didn't see that.

If you don't have a newer one (2022+?) the irritating triple honk isn't an issue.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My bad. I didn't see that.

If you don't have a newer one (2022+?) the irritating triple honk isn't an issue.
Thankfully not. I have a good ole 2018.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OP here. This is what originally set me off. They may be full of it, but if I can set the SGW back to stock (i.e. Tazerless), they won't use that as the go-to excuse on future warranty items

Hello Richard. We got your vehicle in the shop. It went to one of our diesel master techs who is very familiar with the platform. He read your concerns, as well as the incidents provided by you and inspected the harnesses you mentioned. He found everything to be good, not rubbing at all and well secured. When he scanned the vehicle, he found quite a few codes present, all of which are relevant to having issues with the security gateway module. He explained that the security gateway module is wired through every module in the car. The bypass that was installed on the vehicle disables the security gateway module entirely, which in turn causes multiple faults throughout modules in the vehicle that depend on information from the security gateway module to operate correctly. Functions and features of the tazer force the vehicles modules to operate in a manner in which they were not designed, which causes additional faults. Due to the aftermarket accessories and there interference with the modules, the concern is not warrantable from the point of view of Jeep, and there is a diagnosis fee for one hour of labor for the technicians time. You can pick the vehicle up whenever you have a chance, and we would be happy to elaborate further if you'd like.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
OP here. This is what originally set me off. They may be full of it, but if I can set the SGW back to stock (i.e. Tazerless), they won't use that as the go-to excuse on future warranty items

Hello Richard. We got your vehicle in the shop. It went to one of our diesel master techs who is very familiar with the platform. He read your concerns, as well as the incidents provided by you and inspected the harnesses you mentioned. He found everything to be good, not rubbing at all and well secured. When he scanned the vehicle, he found quite a few codes present, all of which are relevant to having issues with the security gateway module. He explained that the security gateway module is wired through every module in the car. The bypass that was installed on the vehicle disables the security gateway module entirely, which in turn causes multiple faults throughout modules in the vehicle that depend on information from the security gateway module to operate correctly. Functions and features of the tazer force the vehicles modules to operate in a manner in which they were not designed, which causes additional faults. Due to the aftermarket accessories and there interference with the modules, the concern is not warrantable from the point of view of Jeep, and there is a diagnosis fee for one hour of labor for the technicians time. You can pick the vehicle up whenever you have a chance, and we would be happy to elaborate further if you'd like.
I recently bought the JSCAN setup and app. It worked flawlessly and very quickly, and nailed the speedometer recalibration first try using the tire manufacturer's diameter spec.

To the point brought up by your the dealership, I drove around for a day or so with the SGW bypass connected and noticed the second day that some things on my Uconnect or dash were doing something odd. I don't recall exactly what it was, but as soon as I disconnected the SGW bypass and hooked it back in the OE configuration, all was well.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I recently bought the JSCAN setup and app. It worked flawlessly and very quickly, and nailed the speedometer recalibration first try using the tire manufacturer's diameter spec.

To the point brought up by your the dealership, I drove around for a day or so with the SGW bypass connected and noticed the second day that some things on my Uconnect or dash were doing something odd. I don't recall exactly what it was, but as soon as I disconnected the SGW bypass and hooked it back in the OE configuration, all was well.
I have run with a dedicated security gateway bypass in place 24/7 365, for years... again years and never any issues. I know many like myself that do the same.... And there are literally thousands of Tazer JL and other programmers in use...

JL's have been in use since early 2018... Tazer JL started being used in 2018 by many on the forum.... no one has ever had a dealer spew such crapola as that dealer spewed in regard to the SGW.

As for the OP, I still believe his limp mode events were because of the throttle controller he uses.
Throttle Controllers... if you change modes with a TC.... while you are actively working the gas pedal can (not always) cause the vehicle to go into limp mode..

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@rickinAZ the way JSCAN works (which is different from a Tazer) is that it just writes a new edit to the software - it's not a "live" service that's constantly monitoring and changing things. This limits it's function, but provides the benefit that you can hook it up, do what you need to do, then unhook it and be a-ok.

Whenever you take it to a dealer, you would remove the SGW bypass and your OBDII adapter. There's no "evidence" that you were using a bypass this way, and your settings stay.

The Tazer requires to be "married" to your vehicle and requires extra steps to remove for the dealer. JSCAN doesn't - you just unplug it.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have run with a dedicated security gateway bypass in place 24/7 365, for years... again years and never any issues. I know many like myself that do the same.... And there are literally thousands of Tazer JL and other programmers in use...

JL's have been in use since early 2018... Tazer JL started being used in 2018 by many on the forum.... no one has ever had a dealer spew such crapola as that dealer spewed in regard to the SGW.

As for the OP, I still believe his limp mode events were because of the throttle controller he uses.
Throttle Controllers... if you change modes with a TC.... while you are actively working the gas pedal can (not always) cause the vehicle to go into limp mode..
Regarding the throttle controller, I've had two. My previous Pedal Commander was sensitive to changes while pushing the accelerator, but the Pedal Monster gives a what-the-hell-are-you-trying-to-do message as a warning. I believe that the Pedal Monster holds you harmless from your own mistakes. But...I may be totally wrong.

As I've mentioned, the dealer will use the Tazer as a stick to beat me with on any future warranty claims. By taking the JScan route I can avoid that hassle. In the meantime, I'll be uber aware of on-the-fly changes to the Pedal Monster settings.

And...@Rhinebeck01 has kindly offered to coach me through the JScan process.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Regarding the throttle controller, I've had two. My previous Pedal Commander was sensitive to changes while pushing the accelerator, but the Pedal Monster gives a what-the-hell-are-you-trying-to-do message as a warning. I believe that the Pedal Monster holds you harmless from your own mistakes. But...I may be totally wrong.
My guess is every time your Pedal Monster warns you, you have a fault thrown.... and that is what the Tech is seeing with diagnostics when he has your JL hooked up to the service departments WiTech ll.

Again, why is your JL special lets say when thousands and thousands of other JL's with the SGW stepped on, are not having the same issues/codes.

No point in belaboring the issue but it is probably your Pedal Monster causing the fuss and not because you lets say violated the SGW.

Let us known in the next few months ..... after your no longer violating th SGW whether you still have limp mode events and dealer spewing more.

By the way.... how did the dealer know you run/ran with a Tazer JL ?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

As I've mentioned, the dealer will use the Tazer as a stick to beat me with on any future warranty claims. By taking the JScan route I can avoid that hassle. In the meantime, I'll be uber aware of on-the-fly changes to the Pedal Monster settings.

And...@Rhinebeck01 has kindly offered to coach me through the JScan process.
The “non-live” settings the tazer sets (like tire size and gear ratio) are written to the BCM in the same way all of the other tools work. You can remove the tazer (just don’t unmarry it first) once those things are set to your liking. Using the tazer an sgw bypass and using jscan is just a long cut.
Sponsored