LED'S run too cold!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I just keep a spray bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol in the car.

Which that essentially looks to be a mix of rubbing alcohol and methanol.
Great thinking...but that wont stop the snow from covering the headlight once you drive off again. You'll be getting out and spraying that stuff every 10mins...and not doing anything to address the cause.

Just wipe it off, why bother spraying the headlight.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I just drove 2 hrs in the PA incoming rain/snow. And couldn't even see the road. It was like my headlights pointed up and I was driving into a white wall. Even the stock jk shit headlights had more light.

After stopping for gas I saw the lights covered with slush all but the top 2". After clearing it was easy to see thru the snow. This pic is after 2 min drive from gas to job I think these lights need heaters!

20191112_061734.jpg
Hmmm, I'm going to try and tap into the air vents and route a tube to each headlight and finish install at the light bezel with a grommet of some kind.

Turn the heat on in the cabin and the headlights will also get blasted with heat.

Think it will work? It should right?....seems simple enough.

OP
OP
bkgray115

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, I'm going to try and tap into the air vents and route a tube to each headlight and finish install at the light bezel with a grommet of some kind.

Turn the heat on in the cabin and the headlights will also get blasted with heat.

Think it will work? It should right?....seems simple enough.
I was thinking of that. You will prob have to close the vents inside to force enough thru the pipe to overcome the cold outside air blowing on the headlights. Let me know how it works tho!

OP
OP
bkgray115

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Another thought I had was bike handlebar heaters. 12v are small and only cost about $20. You would have to take them apart and use only the wires and I was worried the heat may be too much for the plastic headlight

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Another thought I had was bike handlebar heaters. 12v are small and only cost about $20. You would have to take them apart and use only the wires and I was worried the heat may be too much for the plastic headlight
VERY GOOD THINKING!!!

Wondering what the heat element looks like...possibly wrap it around or attach it to rugged ridge headlight guards.

Very good idea

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Does the ethanol harm the seals around the headlight apparatus when you spray it?
Idk. I use it for windshields, windows and mirrors. Ethanol definitely affects some rubbers, but it might depend.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Great thinking...but that wont stop the snow from covering the headlight once you drive off again.
Never said it would.

My comment was mostly in reply to the posters who mentioned a commercial deicer. A bottle of rubbing alcohol from Walmart or Walgreens is likely cheaper.

But in the context of this discussion, it wouldn't be for snow, as much as it'd be for iced over LEDs.

Scraping them isn't easy or likely preferable. A quick spritz and the alcohol will clear them right up. Give it an extra spray and the film would help prevent further icing.

I use the rubbing alcohol for windshields and windows. A light frost melts almost instantly. And hitting a heavier frost/ice covered windshield first, will make scraping much easier.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
How about using fog lights instead? Are those also being covered up with snow.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
wow that was easy! 15 min fully installed and has a ton of pressure. only prob is I need to adjust the spray a bit up or find diff sprayers.

20191115_160927.jpg

20191115_160853.jpg

20191115_162354.jpg

20191115_161952.jpg
nice and clean install. wondering why its install off centered.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
first off i had to stop and clear not only the headlights but the windows on my 07 jeep grand cherokee in a few snow storms (luckly i'm local, so no highways). that due to slow and jammed up traffic. no i did not wait till the last minute to go home from work. due to being a letter carrier, we dont have the luxury in stop delivering the mail, unless the management call us off the road due to safety reason. any types of headlights will be affected regardless of the snow, so visibility will always be an issues. with that, i will do the same old stuff that i've done with any other vehicle, clear the snow off as many time i have to and drive safety in the snow, when staying home is not an option.

OP
OP
bkgray115

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
nice and clean install. wondering why its install off centered.
one the inside black cover has tabs that click it to the grill, and I was trying to get as far from light as pos. to get more spray over light

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Seeing is believing. Thank you for posting that picture. LED is likely a deal-breaker / no-go if I ever buy a Wrangler.

It does not happen often, but I have certainly done drives in the past where every inch of the front of my truck was covered with ice, except for the halogen headlights.

I've had the same happen with halogens and HID's. Depending on the conditions you're going to have to get out and clear your lights.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if anyone has the same problem with halogens. I’m down in Florida, so I obviously don’t have to deal with the issue. Every vehicle I’ve had has had halogens, and I have to dodge deer, possums, raccoons, etc, with no visibility problems (country living).

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
wow that was easy! 15 min fully installed and has a ton of pressure. only prob is I need to adjust the spray a bit up or find diff sprayers.

20191115_160927.jpg

20191115_160853.jpg

20191115_162354.jpg

20191115_161952.jpg
I'd like to see a video of them spraying. It will be really cool if this works for clearing snow/ice.
Maybe if there were some kind of reservoir inside the cabin that you could pee into and a pump that would spray it on the headlights.
Sponsored