Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Just took Titan for a spin first snow fall. Cleaned off the lights and car before leaving. Started noticing lights were not emitting much light while driving.

Got out checked the lights and sure enough 80% of the light is being blocked by snow.

Lights are not getting warm enough to melt the snow. Took about 10-15mins for snow to cover the lights.

This to me is a problem, a pretty big one if you think about it.

Never had this issue in any car or truck I've ever driven.

Attached are photos of what lights look like after 15 mins of driving after them being clean. And usually the led's have a clear ridge line of light, attached you will see very little light output(fogs and headlights both on)

Anyone else having this issue??
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just took Titan for a spin first snow fall. Cleaned off the lights and car before leaving. Started noticing lights were not emitting much light while driving.

Got out checked the lights and sure enough 80% of the light is being blocked by snow.

Lights are not getting warm enough to melt the snow. Took about 10-15mins for snow to cover the lights.

This to me is a problem, a pretty big one if you think about it.

Never had this issue in any car or truck I've ever driven.

Attached are photos of what lights look like after 15 mins of driving after them being clean. And usually the led's have a clear ridge line of light, attached you will see very little light output(fogs and headlights both on)

Anyone else having this issue??
I have herd people complaining about aftermarket LEDs not getting warm enough to melt snow and ice. I was hoping the factory LEDs would address this problem. I wondered if snow and ice would be a problem with factory LEDs? Now we know. Not good. Can you post your pics? Thanks.

Last edited:

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I wondered if snow and ice would be a problem with LEDs? Now we know. Not good. Can you post your pics? Thanks.
I was worried about this too. Wasn't driving in the snow long enough to tell, my fender lights were covered though.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
20181115_204603.jpg
20181115_204026.jpg
20181115_204020.jpg
20181115_203017.jpg
20181115_202953.jpg
20181115_202828.jpg

Top pic is light output after 10mins, light pics after 10mins and bottom pic is when I cleaned off headlights and began.

In all was out driving about 40mins. 31° out, it's not even really cold yet nor is it even snowing bad out.

@JeepCares is this a "oh well, dont drive your jeep at night in the snow" issue or can something be done?!

Very concerned, very little light output at night during (light)snow.

mpogca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red JLU RUBICON
I can't believe that Jeep didn't see this coming. Truck Lites has had the heated lights out for at least two years. I have the regular Truck Lites on my JK. I am sure someone will come up with an aftermarket clear wired patch/film to attach to the lens and plug and play into the connections. Poor planning on Jeeps part.

Sponsored

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
Aftermarket heated LED headlights are available; there's no reason Jeep shouldn't be able to offter them as well, especially considering it's a basic safety issue in much of the world. C'mon Jeep.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Aftermarket heated LED headlights are available; there's no reason Jeep shouldn't be able to offter them as well, especially considering it's a basic safety issue in much of the world. C'mon Jeep.
I'm hot right now, aside from other issues I had now this?!! ITS A $60,000 SUV!!! not even including all the $$ I've put into it...

Seriously considering selling this thing at this point!

IceAge

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The times of change: Heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Heatd Mirrors, Rear Widwow defrost, and some cars like my Range Rovers have Heated Windshields. Never thought about a heated Headlight but sounds like the engineers need to get on that project right away. And if you think about it, if you can have a windshield Heated then why not on the Led light. Someone here could possibly capitalize on that Patent right now. And damn if anyone does don’t forget the Jeep Forum members lol. At least let us have the replacement lights for a diiscount and or all Jeep owners file a Class Action Law Suit against FCA. Never hurts to ask first though so who’s gonna call FCA?

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The times of change: Heated seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Heatd Mirrors, Rear Widwow defrost, and some cars like my Range Rovers have Heated Windshields. Never thought about a heated Headlight but sounds like the engineers need to get on that project right away. And if you think about it, if you can have a windshield Heated then why not on the Led light. Someone here could possibly capitalize on that Patent right now. And damn if anyone does don’t forget the Jeep Forum members lol. At least let us have the replacement lights for a diiscount and or all Jeep owners file a Class Action Law Suit against FCA. Never hurts to ask first though so who’s gonna call FCA?
Several aftermarket companies make heated headlights. Jeep should offer them standard with the LED package.

Sponsored

IceAge

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Several aftermarket companies make heated headlights for the JL. Jeep should offer them standard with the LED package.
Good to know and as I was typing you typed faster lol cause I saw your posting right after I posted mine. And are you saying it’s the exact style LED light that will meet OEM replacement? And if yes then by all means FCA should reimburse anyone needing these.

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No headlights are on and work...we all have the same lights
On and working doesn't mean a heating element is working (if there is one at all). Based on the posts in the thread I linked saying their lights heated up, I'm thinking your lights should heat up too.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Look on the bright side... People won't be complaining that your lights are too bright and blinding them... :)

Heat is the enemy of LEDs... That is one of the concerns that I have with the aftermarket replacement bulbs that I bought for my headlights since they have a fan attached to the heatsink and that entire mechanism is sealed inside the JL's headlight assembly.

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know and as I was typing you typed faster lol cause I saw your posting right after I posted mine. And are you saying it’s the exact style LED light that will meet OEM replacement? And if yes then by all means FCA should reimburse anyone needing these.
I was wrong - it appears as if the heated LED headlights I remember seeing were for the JK. Nonetheless, I'm sure they'll be on the market for the JL soon with winter here.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.