Sponsored

LED'S run too cold!

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I just drove 2 hrs in the PA incoming rain/snow. And couldn't even see the road. It was like my headlights pointed up and I was driving into a white wall. Even the stock jk shit headlights had more light.

After stopping for gas I saw the lights covered with slush all but the top 2". After clearing it was easy to see thru the snow. This pic is after 2 min drive from gas to job I think these lights need heaters!

20191112_061734.jpg
It's a common problem with all LED lights. LED lights don't generate heat so they don't melt snow. Many cities in the Upper Midwest found this out when they switched their traffic signals to LED for energy conservation. It's a great idea in theory, but when it snows the traffic lights are covered and no one can see them.
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Solution to the problem just arrived!
20191114_173015.jpg
Can you confirm that these actually get warm?
Someone in another thread commented that they inquired with one company (can't remember which) and they said that none of their non-LED lights produce heat. I
Solution to the problem just arrived!
20191114_173015.jpg
Can you confirm that these actually get warm?

Someone posted this in another thread. I’m not sure where he got his info, but it’s worth noting.

KC says none of their aux lights produce heat. I find that odd. They still make anhalogen "Daylighter" I think it's called. I would imagine it heating up some. I hate to spend more though because I have a nice set of PIAA LED aux lights I could mount.
I also commented in that same thread that the halogen lights in my wife's CRV produce absolutely no heat. If they had the same bucket design I'm sure they'd collect just as much snow and ice. Someone here has to have a non-LED JL that can tell us if they're warm after a drive.

hawgwld

First Name
Hawgwld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have found that applying RainX or Aquapel on all my exterior glass and lenses works really well to keep snow build up off. Snow does not stick as easy and comes off in wind of driving on the lenses. Make cleaning snow off after being parked outside a breeze.

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Yes, LED's ice up, there's plenty of info on previous threads. Buy a set of halogen aux lights and mount on the front, or get LED's with heaters. 75%+ of my driving is in conditions without snow, so I'll take the better night driving with LED's and put up with the times when it's snowing.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought KC Daylighter 6 inch Halogens. Gonna mount them on my grill guard. I bought the slightly older 130Watt model. This will be my backup to mynew unheated Oracle LED headlights. My thought is that even if they don't heat up, they are not recessed so they may stay clear of snow/ice longer.

Sponsored

jfbattagl

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Hey there,

If you do like your LEDs we do offer a heated LED version of our headlights:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/premium-heated-led-projector-beam-headlights-jeep-wrangler-jl

quadratec-heated-led-projector-kit-jl-97109%200204-main.jpg

These heated Headlamps feature SmartHeat® with LED light sensors that automatically activate the heat elements at startup or as outside temperatures drop to freezing.

• Low Beam - 1,770 Raw Lumens / 750 Effective Lumens
  • High Beam - 3,200 Raw Lumens / 1,260 Effective Lumens
  • Operating Voltage - 9-16v

We do also offer a forum discount for forum members. Just PM me for a quote!

Have a great day,
Hailey
I would like a quote, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Seeing is believing. Thank you for posting that picture. LED is likely a deal-breaker / no-go if I ever buy a Wrangler.

It does not happen often, but I have certainly done drives in the past where every inch of the front of my truck was covered with ice, except for the halogen headlights.
You might want to see how darn bright they are before saying a deal breaker....When they predict snow spray them down with WD-40 and go.

Elusive YETI

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I had the same problem and decided to add this light bar for backup. If I know it’s going to snow I have an amber cover to give better visibility and I just use the outer halos on the headlights.

2AAE6E1F-9351-4F6D-8035-C518330A2C10.png

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Hey there,

If you do like your LEDs we do offer a heated LED version of our headlights:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/premium-heated-led-projector-beam-headlights-jeep-wrangler-jl

quadratec-heated-led-projector-kit-jl-97109%200204-main.jpg

These heated Headlamps feature SmartHeat® with LED light sensors that automatically activate the heat elements at startup or as outside temperatures drop to freezing.

• Low Beam - 1,770 Raw Lumens / 750 Effective Lumens
  • High Beam - 3,200 Raw Lumens / 1,260 Effective Lumens
  • Operating Voltage - 9-16v

We do also offer a forum discount for forum members. Just PM me for a quote!

Have a great day,
Hailey
This is a good solution!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
This is a good solution!
Now, why couldn't Jeep do this from the start?!!

You can't tell me they didn't know the leds/recess design was going to cause these issues.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I just drove 2 hrs in the PA incoming rain/snow. And couldn't even see the road. It was like my headlights pointed up and I was driving into a white wall. Even the stock jk shit headlights had more light.

After stopping for gas I saw the lights covered with slush all but the top 2". After clearing it was easy to see thru the snow. This pic is after 2 min drive from gas to job I think these lights need heaters!

20191112_061734.jpg
I can't even cook on mine.

OP
OP
bkgray115

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I have found a prob. All was good for a week then I refilled with ice melt fluid and it started running out the sprayers. They are too low and creating suction on the tank. Any ideas to stop this? Im thinking maybe a fuel filter from a mower would break the siphon...

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL
I would like a quote, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I would be happy to get a quote for you! Can you please PM us with your name and address and we can provide an accurate discounted quote!

Thank you,
Hailey
Sponsored