Sponsored

Kinetic rope?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I was assuming the flat strap would be better for winching (less stretching) vs. using a kinetic rope. Again, no experience with kinetic ropes.
The shape of the rope does not dictate the type. You can have a flat kinetic (ARB makes them) or a round static rope (all winch lines).
Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The shape of the rope does not dictate the type. You can have a flat kinetic (ARB makes them) or a round static rope (all winch lines).
Ah.... true. Thanks for the clarification. I was generalizing.

Plan d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jlur xr
I have a 30’ rope because I can always shorten up a 30’ but can’t lengthen a 20’ rope

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hey Mark,

After a ton of research I'm going with a 7/8 30ft from Yankum. The vast amount of recovery professionals and hobbyist that have praised the quality of Yankum is enough for me. That being said, I think companies like Bubba, factor 55, voodoo, AEV, etc do make a good product as well. 30ft does make more sense though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Most kinetic rope manufacturers recommend not going too big as a light vehicle won't stretch the rope enough for it to really work properly. That said, I went 30' 1.25" figure the extra length should help with the amount of stretch I can get out of it. Used it a couple dozen times over the years without issue. It's probably 10 years old and works like new still.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Well I just pulled the trigger, I mean pushed the button on the Bubba 7/8in by 30ft. 7/8in is rated for 5700lbs to 9000lb vehicles per Yankum website. I haven’t weighed my JLR but I think it is probably in the 4500 to 5000lb range loaded up. Yankum says 3/4in is rated for 3800-5400lb vehicles but also says it’s designed for UTV/SUVs.

Both Yankum and Bubba 7/8in are rated for 28,600lb. I would guess they both source their rope from the same manufacturer.

It arrives tomorrow. The Yankum is back ordered and my impatient self didn’t want to wait. I would be kicking myself if I got stuck before then. :)

Both net out the same price as the Bubba is off Amazon and free one day shipping. The Yankum is cheaper but shipping negates the savings. Both made in USA.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw on the yankum website this chart… makes sense:
21733FA4-E5B3-4401-85E7-C3975448CF60.jpeg
I went with the 7/8" x 30' Bubba Rope, with the intentions of using it in softer situations. In the rocks, I'm lining up for a winch pull.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just pulled the trigger, I mean pushed the button on the Bubba 7/8in by 30ft. 7/8in is rated for 5700lbs to 9000lb vehicles per Yankum website. I haven’t weighed my JLR but I think it is probably in the 4500 to 5000lb range loaded up. Yankum says 3/4in is rated for 3800-5400lb vehicles but also says it’s designed for UTV/SUVs.

Both Yankum and Bubba 7/8in are rated for 28,600lb. I would guess they both source their rope from the same manufacturer.

It arrives tomorrow. The Yankum is back ordered and my impatient self didn’t want to wait. I would be kicking myself if I got stuck before then. :)

Both net out the same price as the Bubba is off Amazon and free one day shipping. The Yankum is cheaper but shipping negates the savings. Both made in USA.
Not sure about Yankum. The parent company of Bubba is Slings Inc. They have been sourcing all forms of soft rigging to the US military for decades.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Not sure about Yankum. The parent company of Bubba is Slings Inc. They have been sourcing all forms of soft rigging to the US military for decades.
All of the "kinetic ropes" are really just expensive branded versions of double braided dock line: https://samsonrope.com/commercial-fishing/super-strong

If you can figure out how to tie the ends yourself, you can buy this same 7/8" line for $3/foot: https://www.go2marine.com/Samson-Super-Strong-Double-Braid-Nylon-Line-472?quantity=1&diameter=1067

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All of the "kinetic ropes" are really just expensive branded versions of double braided dock line: https://samsonrope.com/commercial-fishing/super-strong

If you can figure out how to tie the ends yourself, you can buy this same 7/8" line for $3/foot: https://www.go2marine.com/Samson-Super-Strong-Double-Braid-Nylon-Line-472?quantity=1&diameter=1067
Yeah, braiding soft line is definitely on my list of skill sets to learn. I've braided a lot of steel cable eyelets over my years of crane operating and rigging, but those can only be used for private picks. Most formal work requires certification tags on all rigging, and the soft straps used in that industry are typically the flat type.

I no longer own, or otherwise operate cranes nowadays, so am in the process of re-educating myself on the smaller end of the rigging spectrum.

I got a Bubba package that included the recovery rope and 2 soft shackles for under $300, which barely gave me a swollen lip. Not only is it already made, but it has the fancy eyelet coatings to help against abrasion. If going with a thicker rope, I'm definitely making my own. The price of a 1.25" x 30' Bubba rope is a black eye and a bloody lip that I'd rather avoid.

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I bought a 30’ 7/8” Yankum rope last fall and have yet to use it.
I attended an off-road recovery class where we broke a kinetic rope. I wouldn’t fault the rope itself, it appeared to be well made but it had been well used over several years and on this day perhaps abused. There were about 12 students and 2 instructors so they split the class into 2 groups. I was in the group that went last in the kinetic pull instruction. The instructor had a lifted F-150 on 37s and a lot of tools and recovery gear in the bed. The truck was not stuck but was heavy. The truck was in neutral. The students used their own vehicles (most were Jeeps) to yank the F-150 and get it rolling. Most students needed 2 pulls since they had never done this before. So by group 2, the 10th or 11th student, and around 20-25 pulls in an hour the rope had had enough. It snapped back violently and damaged the instructor’s F-150. Note the busted grill, dented hood and windshield.
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? D7E87C80-FCFC-44A6-8239-ECEBAD931406
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? 1889AEED-D3C1-4C1A-97CE-56929A2F75D2
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? 177F306E-616A-409E-A08F-1E19B29BD87B

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Wow thanks for sharing. Lesson here I suppose is even a kinetic rope with soft shackle set up can cause serious harm.

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
Wow thanks for sharing. Lesson here I suppose is even a kinetic rope with soft shackle set up can cause serious harm.
Yes, no metal was used. Soft shackles at both ends. The damage was caused by the kinetic rope. It broke about 2-3 feet from the tow vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? A73652FD-238B-426F-BA6B-022EABC9CDE1

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yes, no metal was used. Soft shackles at both ends. The damage was caused by the kinetic rope. It broke about 2-3 feet from the tow vehicle.
A73652FD-238B-426F-BA6B-022EABC9CDE1.jpeg
That rope looks like it had been over used/abused for awhile. Taped up sections indicating prior damage. At least it was his truck that got damaged as that thing should have been removed from use, let alone used to teach a class. Kinetic recovery is likely more dangerous than winching due to the forces involved. You are creating a slingshot using two 5k+ pound vehicles. A 7/8" rope has ~30k lb break strength, that force goes somewhere when it breaks. My 1.25" rope has a 54k lb break strength, of course there will be damage if it is abused until failure. A new windshield alone costs 4x what I paid for my rope, replace it when it shows signs of wear.
Sponsored

Last edited: