First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I hate to tell you this but unless it's an exotic/supercar buying a new vehicle is never a wise investment. These aren't going to retain any more value than any other Wrangler. The good news is Wranglers retain their value better than almost any vehicle or there, but it's still far from an investment. Unless you get a significant discount under invoice it will be worth less than you paid for it the day you drive it home. Sorry to piss on your party.
Clearly this guy didn’t see what happened with the C8. I would never classify a base corvette a super car or exotic. First allotment buyers were flipping those for profit.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Clearly this guy didn’t see what happened with the C8. I would never classify a base corvette a super car or exotic. First allotment buyers were flipping those for profit.
Well sure but for how long? This guy is talking about long-term investment. I could have sold my 2019 JLUR for a profit for probably the first year cuz I got such a smokin deal on it but that's not what we're talking about here.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Well sure but for how long? This guy is talking about long-term investment. I could have sold my 2019 JLUR for a profit for probably the first year cuz I got such a smokin deal on it but that's not what we're talking about here.
According to the little bit of financial literacy I've picked up recently: a vehicle is considered a depreciating asset. So, unless it's a high dollar, highly specialized, super limited production run, and you're treating it like a museum piece for the next 20+ years- it's not technically an investment, because it is not guaranteed to go up in value. If you buy it and flip it for a profit, that's a windfall. A quick, one time profit. Someone who is much smarter with money and finances can probably get deeper in on this if anyone cares.
TL;DR: This thought process is the equivalent of the person who lists "$20k invested in upgrades- No low balling, I know what I have" on their shitty vehicle they're trying to off load on Craigslist, expecting to get more money than they paid simply because they spent it.

Consider this: What are the resale prices on MOST classic, low mileage, low production Jeeps now? That could be a decent indicator.

That said: I'm interested. Curiously watching this whole process and how things work out with pricing, and also longevity/ use. If I end up with one, it'll get 37's and see some trail time- so it definitely won't be considered an investment.

Last edited:

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Also, "generally" you're right. But this isn't a general car or wrangler for that matter. Its like a Rolex and if they don't flood the market with them in 22 and 23 it'll be a nice investment purchase

You mean like the Dodge Viper's?.. :giggle:

Sponsored

Mkapke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5, 2021 JLUR 392 on order I think????
Anyone know the width of the 392 beadlock capable wheels? Are they 8"? Trying to see if they could run 35" tires. Thanks

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Anyone know the width of the 392 beadlock capable wheels? Are they 8"? Trying to see if they could run 35" tires. Thanks
There is a YouTube video made my Adventure Architects where they do a walk around of the concept 392 and interview one of the Jeep people and they discuss the wheels. However, I am unsure if the concept and production wheels will be similar in spec.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
7.5”. Should still be fine with 35s just may need spacers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Just ordered my 392! 64496948-536E-48CB-BE9A-101AE4A30166

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
According to the little bit of financial literacy I've picked up recently: a vehicle is considered a depreciating asset. So, unless it's a high dollar, highly specialized, super limited production run, and you're treating it like a museum piece for the next 20+ years- it's not technically an investment, because it is not guaranteed to go up in value. If you buy it and flip it for a profit, that's a windfall. A quick, one time profit. Someone who is much smarter with money and finances can probably get deeper in on this if anyone cares.
TL;DR: This thought process is the equivalent of the person who lists "$20k invested in upgrades- No low balling, I know what I have" on their shitty vehicle they're trying to off load on Craigslist, expecting to get more money than they paid simply because they spent it.

Consider this: What are the resale prices on MOST classic, low mileage, low production Jeeps now? That could be a decent indicator.

That said: I'm interested. Curiously watching this whole process and how things work out with pricing, and also longevity/ use. If I end up with one, it'll get 37's and see some trail time- so it definitely won't be considered an investment.
Totally agree, and let me give you an extreme example from the year I was born:

Let's say two friends each had $3,000 burning a hole in their pockets in 1955. One buys a brand new 1955 Porsche Speedster and the other, because he can't drive a stick, invests his $3,000 in the S&P 500. The dork (who can't drive a stick in 1955?) was dumb because 356 Speedsters are now one of the most sought after, best appreciating classic vehicles, ever - worth almost $300K today. 100x more than the original price. Great investment - right? Actually the non-stick shift guy's stock is now worth $350K and he didn't have to insure, maintain, and store the car for the last 65 years. And...the Speedster buyer wasn't allowed to drive it often for fear of damaging his investment.

The Porsche example was with PERFECT hindsight. Expecting a positive financial experience through investing in motor vehicles is largely a myth.

And...a 2021 Jeep ain't no '55 Porsche.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Comparing a C8 to a Wrangler 392 is like comparing apples to the planet Pluto.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Jeep is not releasing price. He also said no discounts (last one he gave me 8% off MSRP). He mentioned some dealerships going to go 20k over asking. I told him if it's over 65 he can sell it to someone else.
My local Chevrolet dealership said the same thing when we inquired about the new mid-engine Corvette.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Comparing a C8 to a Wrangler 392 is like comparing apples to the planet Pluto.
That was never my point or comparison? You took that completely out of context. That comment was made to a previous post stating that 'No new vehicle will be worth more once off the lot'....

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Body color flares and hardtop as well as leather tools be a no go for me. Too bad they don’t give options on those
My exact thoughts too (except for the leather) after I saw that. Totally a personal choice but I've never liked the colored flares or hard tops for some reason. It's still year one and they're trying to limit options as much as possible it seems since they're building so few of them. Maybe it'll change after that.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
My exact thoughts too (except for the leather) after I saw that. Totally a personal choice but I've never liked the colored flares or hard tops for some reason. It's still year one and they're trying to limit options as much as possible it seems since they're building so few of them. Maybe it'll change after that.
Body colored flares and top were always a no go for me. I mean, those pieces are always in brush and branches, getting scratched, etc.. Then I got married...
Sponsored