JL welding Issues

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
What is this galvanized stuff , and how does that affect welds ?
The JL frames are 45% galvanized and electocoated. Here is a good article on welding this type of frame for the auto industry. It really taught me a few things.

Bottom line, robot weld speeds were/are set to high to meet production numbers, sacrificing quality in the form of more porosity and trapped zinc gas, which I assume leads to all of the orange colors we all see within our weld beads.

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/news/...Advancements-for-the-Automotive-Industry.html
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
If you shared it from the JL owners group, I doubt it will show up outside of that group.

You're more than welcome to use these direct links:

Now just shared on my personal facebook page. Put is as public though since most of my friends are either family or college and pro athletes. They need to see this and I'm hoping they will share it.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a CWI, I checked my frame welds and found a lot of weld discontinuities and these are just the ones I have access to and can see. As for the frame being an integral part of the jeep these welds should be sound and complete. For a $50,000+ Jeep, I didn't think I would have to QC my own vehicle.

Looking on this forum I see two track bars failures with a possible third, I do have the X marked over my track bar like others do, but was that the only thing they looked at on these frames.

Going have to make an appointment with my dealer but I have vacations coming up where I need the Jeep.

FYI, Jeep was built first week in July.

Here are some of the weld discontinuities I found on my Jeep, I left a lot of photos out as it was starting to get repetitive.

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg
Looks pretty much like mine.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So not that the district has unbanned my vehicle from being seen by dealers I dropped it off today. Explained the situ and that they needed to check every steering and suspension bracket for safety. Then the other frame welds. God help me though they gave me a f'ing sky blue 2017 sahara as a loaner. God I hate the sky blue color. This might be the worst looking jeep I've ever seen and is definitely the worst looking one I've driven. But at least they gave me a free loaner.

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
So not that the district has unbanned my vehicle from being seen by dealers I dropped it off today. Explained the situ and that they needed to check every steering and suspension bracket for safety. Then the other frame welds. God help me though they gave me a f'ing sky blue 2017 sahara as a loaner. God I hate the sky blue color. This might be the worst looking jeep I've ever seen and is definitely the worst looking one I've driven. But at least they gave me a free loaner.
That was one ugly color lol.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
How are the welds in the JK loaner?

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are the welds in the JK loaner?
Honestly havent had time to look. Its a 2017 so i assume if it was going to have an issue it would have had it already. Also betting that its good like all of the 2018 jk i looked under.

Sadly my 8 yr old daughter loves the color. One of pro athletes i work with saw it an found it hilarious i was driving this ugly thing.

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Sorry to hear people are having these issues the last thing I was thinking of doing is crawling under my brand new vehicle to check the welds! But I did (thanks to this forum)morning mine are ok now if the steering would just improve!

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Yes so am I and very sorry you are experiencing this a definite safety issue. Like I said kind of sad you have to crawl under a vehicle to check the welds! I think "they" were in too much of a hurry to meet the demand of a new model and the quality department suffered. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND HOPE ALL WORKS OUT!

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Guess I"m lucky my welds look normal like my other vehicles, and track bar bracket weld is good and marked with a yellow crayon with a x, so I guess some one must of looked at it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Unacceptable.
A one-word synopsis of FCA build quality, reliability, and longevity.
FCA is has QC issues for sure. A to has to do with money and poor management from top down.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-switching-quality-chiefs-but-problems-linger

FCA has always been at the bottom of the heap in every Quality Control and Customer Satisfaction Survey. Yet we continue to want and buy the products. We stick our heads in the sand and mumble... "it's a Jeep thing"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidk...maligned-much-loved-much-valued/#20d3e86d9a44

There is hope…

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...age-for-third-consecutive-year-300669338.html

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
FCA is has QC issues for sure. A to has to do with money and poor management from top down.
It has to do with stupidity and dumbness above all ; that's where it starts .
Sponsored