Overheating issues 2023 JL

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
My fan controller has been sitting on the table for a couple days. Been busy with the other things, but that has settled down after getting it all back together.

I'm wondering if you have a reference to an install video or some pix of your installation? Tips?
I assume you're asking about the fan controller install?
It's pretty straight forward following Jon's diagram, just a little bit of wire cutting/stripping & soldering. Have some Tesa tape handy. Unless you have abnormally tiny hands, unbolt/unplug the ECU and get it out of the way. You may have to unclip (Christmas trees) the two ECU connector harnesses to pull them up for better access.
Then it's just a matter of finding your preferred location for the controller.
Just remember, "It's super easy if you just say it fast enough!"
đź‘Ť
Sponsored

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
My fan controller has been sitting on the table for a couple days. Been busy with the other things, but that has settled down after getting it all back together.

I'm wondering if you have a reference to an install video or some pix of your installation? Tips?
No videos and I did not take any pictures put when I do my wife's Rubicon I will take some pictures
I do have a suggestion. It is something I thought of after I installed it on my Willys.
The BRN/VIO wire that you cut you could put an on/off switch on that wire.
If the fan controller module should ever fail you unplug the module and turn the switch to the on position. This will put the cooling fan back to factory setting.
Take the resister wire and run a long loop out side the loom tape so it can be cut and later reconnected when you get a new module.
I did ask Jon if he ever had a module fail and he said NO.
Make sure you put the switch in a place it can not be accidentally turned on when the module is in use.
They do make safety switches that have covers that can be locked down.
I will be doing this when I do my Rubicon.

https://www.amazon.com/mankk-Rocker...47&sprefix=coverd+safty+switch,aps,151&sr=8-4

IMG_1835.JPG

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I assume before doing the wiring, you should remove power from the Jeep?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon

Did mine 2 weeks ago. I have the GPEC5 ECU with the connectors on top. I disconnected the connector and took the back cover off of it (after snipping the zip tie around the base) then peeled back the tape that covers the bundle. I didn't pull anything else off except for some tree clips that hold that bundle and another one in place. A little more length on the wiring bundle would've been nice but it didn't really cause any issues. Be careful stripping the wires, I used a razor blade and some patience. Tried using an auto-stripper to break the insulation and ended up breaking the wire haha

One thing I did have to do was reference a wiring diagram as my connector had different wire colors and pin locations than what was listed on the instructions.

All in all it was super simple. I can take some pics of the clips I disconnected and all that after work today if you want.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Did mine 2 weeks ago. I have the GPEC5 ECU with the connectors on top. I disconnected the connector and took the back cover off of it (after snipping the zip tie around the base) then peeled back the tape that covers the bundle. I didn't pull anything else off except for some tree clips that hold that bundle and another one in place. A little more length on the wiring bundle would've been nice but it didn't really cause any issues. Be careful stripping the wires, I used a razor blade and some patience. Tried using an auto-stripper to break the insulation and ended up breaking the wire haha

One thing I did have to do was reference a wiring diagram as my connector had different wire colors and pin locations than what was listed on the instructions.

All in all it was super simple. I can take some pics of the clips I disconnected and all that after work today if you want.
Uh oh. I also have a 2018. How did you ID the correct ECU wires? I do have a 2018 Tech Authority Service Manual, which may have the wiring schematics.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
Uh oh. I also have a 2018. How did you ID the correct ECU wires? I do have a 2018 Tech Authority Service Manual, which may have the wiring schematics.
then your wires will probably be as described in the instructions. Mine is a 21 (and a gladiator 🤫) I used the connector repair website.

OP
OP

Jbyrdd06

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 wrangler
This is the way the jeep Wrangler and Gladiator cooling system works
The thermostat starts to open at 190 degrees and is fully open at 212 degrees
The radiator fan comes on at about 15% fan speed at 221 and 75% at 231 degrees
This has been a ongoing concern with a lot of people with modified jeep with large tires low gearing and pulling heavy loads Like me
I tried a lot of different solution including grills / larger radiator / Large pusher fan without ANY results in lowering coolant temps
What I did discover is that the tight factory and Mishimoto core will NOT pass free flowing air and any speed. I got very little air to pass through the radiator with a large high volume high pressure fan mounted to the condenser. The air would hit the core and shoot out the gaps between the condenser and the rad. core
The only way is to suck air through the rad. core
6 month ago I came across the RPM Extreme JL fan controller. PROBLEM SOLVED
I now can run all day at 190 to 195. The highest temp I have seen pulling a long 10 mile hill was 212 degrees
Lower coolant temps
Lower oil temps
What supersized me was my oil catch can collects less the half the oil it did before the fan controller
I am open to answering any question you may have
Here is a link

http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/311/Jeep-JL-PWM-FAN-CONTROLLER.aspx
Which option did you purchase? Says it’s available in a negative, positive, neg-neg, or pos-pos. All do something a little different.

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Which option did you purchase? Says it’s available in a negative, positive, neg-neg, or pos-pos. All do something a little different.
On my Willys I chose the Positive option because I already had added switches with a relay box .
On my Rubicon I will be doing the negative option because I can run one wire from the module to as switch and than to a ground sores.
Sponsored