Sponsored

JL welding Issues

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Had the dealer inspect my welds on my january or february (cant remember which) build JL. Said it all looks good so if/when something breaks and it causes an accident I have a paper trail at least.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The JL frames are 45% galvanized and electocoated. Here is a good article on welding this type of frame for the auto industry. It really taught me a few things.

Bottom line, robot weld speeds were/are set to high to meet production numbers, sacrificing quality in the form of more porosity and trapped zinc gas, which I assume leads to all of the orange colors we all see within our weld beads.

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/news/...Advancements-for-the-Automotive-Industry.html
How do you go about finding a welding inspector? I can't even find a directory online. Just find a good auto body person maybe?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
As a CWI, I checked my frame welds and found a lot of weld discontinuities and these are just the ones I have access to and can see. As for the frame being an integral part of the jeep these welds should be sound and complete. For a $50,000+ Jeep, I didn't think I would have to QC my own vehicle.

Looking on this forum I see two track bars failures with a possible third, I do have the X marked over my track bar like others do, but was that the only thing they looked at on these frames.

Going have to make an appointment with my dealer but I have vacations coming up where I need the Jeep.

FYI, Jeep was built first week in July.

Here are some of the weld discontinuities I found on my Jeep, I left a lot of photos out as it was starting to get repetitive.

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg
Since you are a welder, you're a good man to ask. How do I go about finding a welder to come and inspect my jeep when it arrives at the dealer? Is there a CWI welder directory online? I can't seem to find one.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
How do you go about finding a welding inspector? I can't even find a directory online. Just find a good auto body person maybe?
Good auto body shops which repair vehicles for insurance companies have welders on staff . In my city , there is a master auto body shop which does work for all the big insurance companies . They employ an experienced welder . Take your Jeep to that auto body shop and the welder employee will inspect your Jeep , either for a fee or for free . Simple . Call your insurance company claims dept. to find the shop . Simple .

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
We got connected with two CWIs from a good friend who works in the machining/fabrication industry. Since I'm going through cancer treatments the two welders, who also are instructors and one worked for Ford for ~16 years, decided to provide their services for free. I tried to pay them but they didn't want anything.

A CWI that will review or provide assessments of third-party auto welds isn't terrible easy to come by from what I've been told.

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
For what it’s worth, I looked at 8 JLU’s at the dealer this morning when I went to pick up my Jeep for service. All the frame welds were, in my opinion, perfect. No porosity, all the welds were consistently even and no brown slag. Looks like they are getting it right this time around.

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For what it’s worth, I looked at 8 JLU’s at the dealer this morning when I went to pick up my Jeep for service. All the frame welds were, in my opinion, perfect. No porosity, all the welds were consistently even and no brown slag. Looks like they are getting it right this time around.
That's good to hear. Were they mixed vehicles, i.e. Sport, Sahara, Rubicons?

Thanks!

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Noticed this today after changing wheels. After reading this thread I was concerned. Took it to a north Texas dealer and they lifted it up, took the wheels off and snapped several pics. Delivery date to dealership 2/2018.

Purchased 9/22/2018
I’ve only put 147 miles on it and have in
2018 JLU Sport S

They said they would contact Chrysler and get back to me on Mon/Tues or once they hear back.

Do I need to contact Jeep Wave or the Federal Safety people to report?

F098BB96-237F-4F4F-BF90-D29BEC971D8D.jpeg

39CC9D4B-5CD8-4302-9F0D-7C848AED8E53.jpeg

5DC1FE87-6787-4A83-93C6-0095E6398538.jpeg

DFB45B99-C005-43C7-9372-58EA74B05D5F.jpeg

A43FF365-F262-49E6-8606-B9FAB0AF9891.jpeg

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Purchased 9/22/2018
I’ve only put 147 miles on it and have in
2018 JLU Sport S
They said they would contact Chrysler and get back to me on Mon/Tues or once they hear back.
Do I need to contact Jeep Wave or the Federal Safety people to report?
Both , and make complete documentation , including who and when at which dealer .

Sponsored

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Both , and make complete documentation , including who and when at which dealer .
Thank you. Will do. I took my own photos and then they took photos themselves. Actually they took A LOT of photos and found more spots than I did. They said it was the first one that they have seen.
I'll make a call to Jeep Wave and NHTSA.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Will do. I took my own photos and then they took photos themselves. Actually they took A LOT of photos and found more spots than I did. They said it was the first one that they have seen.
I'll make a call to Jeep Wave and NHTSA.
Done and done. Here's the numbers for anyone else who needs them.

1-844-533-7928 (1-844-JEEP WAVE)

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
I was contacted by the NHTSA today via email requesting pictures and info on the frame welds.

Zane6842

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I was contacted by the NHTSA today via email requesting pictures and info on the frame welds.
I was able to attach the photos to the complaint online.

I was able to attach these photos online with the complaint. Is that what you did initially or did you call in the complaint?

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was able to attach the photos to the complaint online.

I was able to attach these photos online with the complaint. Is that what you did initially or did you call in the complaint?
After receiving a reply back from an engineer at NHTSA and communication over the past week or so he sent me a link to upload up to 100 images. I have about 200 total. But it is my understanding that NHTSA is now reviewing other frame welds on the JLs specifically.

The guy I've been speaking to has said they are compiling many photos, reviewing vehicles, and this whole weld ordeal with the track bar welds is likely going to be the tip of the iceberg.
Sponsored