Sponsored

JL and high winds...

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
I posted earlier about the first impressions of the effect that the Falcon shocks had on the wind buffeting, today I drove 180 miles round trip in strong crosswinds. This is not the first time I’ve driven this route and it can be prone to high crosswinds. According to the reports the winds were between 30 mi., and 40 mi. The entire distance the wind was directly to the side. In sections snow was being blown right across the road, and the large flags at the gas stations were straight out to the side.

I drove at 75 mph, at times 80. The tires on my JL are Grabber ATx 265/70 R18. Same diameter as the stock tires, a little wider but 17 lbs heavier, each. In prior trips I had to hang on to the wheel tightly to account for the buffeting and to stay in the lane. By the time I completed the trip I was exhausted. Not today.

Drove with one hand on the wheel no problem at all. I could feel the wind at times and had to make very slight corrective adjustments on the wheel, but no serious shoving or pushing. I know this sounds crazy and if I didn’t experience this I would think that it was an exaggeration. The other thing to note is that I did have a Synergy track bar installed to eliminate the wobble and then a drag link and tie rod, so it’s been really solid since. But the crosswind buffeting was still there up till now. It’s stilL a JL with a solid axle suspension but it handles nothing like when I took it off the lot... way better.
Doesn't it seem like the gyroscopic effect of the heavier tires would have more to do with the resistance to move in the wind than a shock?
Sponsored

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Doesn't it seem like the gyroscopic effect of the heavier tires would have more to do with the resistance to move in the wind than a shock?
I drove this route with the Grabbers and with the stock shocks in similar conditions. So today was a direct comparison to the buffeting prior to the change of shocks. The reason I changed the shocks was that after installing the heavier tires some aspects of the handling were better but other aspects were worse. I got bump steer going across some expansion joints that I did not have before and taking turns at high speed was not as good. I attributed that to the heavier unsprung weight, that was my diagnosis only. So I decided to put these Falcons on to fix that, which they did. In fact the over all feel of the JL is that it is more firmly planted to the road. Far fewer steering corrections over all. They are set at the “soft/cold” setting now, yet the body roll in tight turns at speed is greatly reduced. The ride and handling feels a lot ‘sportier’ and not harsh as it was before, that’s what I was hoping for, I had absolutely no expectations regarding the buffeting, wasn’t even on my mind until I saw one of the Falcon videos. After seeing it I took note but really didn’t make much of it, until now.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
On Superbowl Sunday, I drove my JLUR up the Cajon Pass (San Bernadino to Victorville CA). It was pretty windy. Right at the top of the pass is a curve that is exposed and it always has about as high a wind speed there as anywhere around there. A gust hit me pretty hard while I was going about 75 mph. It rocked me pretty good, but I was able to keep it in the lane pretty easily. It's definitely much better with the SteerSmarts Yeti trackbar than before.

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wrangler Driving Instructions with High Winds (> 2 knots):

1. Take off doors.
2. Buckle seatbelt or harness.
3. Pity the drivers in regular cars taking naps with their lane keep assist.

Sponsored

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
on a good note, While driving with a 70 mph wind pushing me from the rear i was averaging about 50-60 miles per gallon the other day, better than a prius, hehe ; I live quite possibly in one of the windiest places (Wyoming) and u just get used to it

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I had to drive, on the highway, in some strong crosswinds. That was a lot of fun, and it forced me to really concentrate, to keep in one lane.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Texas and have the Sky One Power Top. Coming from Ram 1500 Crew Cab into my first Jeep found out real quick. Jeeps and High Wind don't match. HardTop, Softop, Sky One Top no difference. We have a toll road here that goes over a major highway and its maybe 50 ft tall at least. Summer south winds and Winter north winds rocket across it. Takes both hands to keep Jeep in the lane. Made comment on the forum and received the same comments as you. IT's a Jeep Thang !!! :flag::jk: Enjoy but hang on !!! :rock:

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Today in the UK starts a storm with high winds , “Ciara”

I won’t be going out in the JL

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
Simply point INTO the wind more and the problem is solved. We do it in sailing all the time when things get to windy ….

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Today in the UK starts a storm with high winds , “Ciara”

I won’t be going out in the JL
you're no fun. the best part in venturing in a jl is in exciting weather.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
nothing beats a white knuckle ride going sideways yelling holy $h*t what a ride in the jl.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Was in Iowa a few weeks ago in one of their high wind blizzards. Unfortunately I was WAY out in the middle of nowhere in one of the hillier parts of the state. Dirt roads, smattering of gravel, under about six inches of packed frozen snow/ice. Heading north, 30-40mph wind coming directly from the west. Been driving in all kinds of conditions for over 40 years, even thru the middle of a tornado once in Ohio, nothing compared to that day in Iowa. Every time I hit a clearing on the west side of the road, me and my 2-door ended up off the east side of the road. Nothing I could do about it, hit a clearing, WHAM, in the ditch. If it weren't so scary, it would have been hilarious.

All the fun of Jeep ownership.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored