Sponsored

JL and high winds...

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Today in the UK starts a storm with high winds , “Ciara”

I won’t be going out in the JL
3 hour round trip on the M1 today, kept it under 65 and it was fine.
More of a problem were the usual idiots who completely ignore driving rain and 70mph winds!
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm dealing with this also, just off the rocky mtn front the wind is real bad here sometimes.

But I'd rather have some occasional issues with wind vs an overly-aerodynamic jeep with sloped windshield and generic vanilla body styling.

Or at least that's what I'm telling the wife. haha

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi guys!
this past Sunday i was going down the Grape Vine leaving Los Angeles and they had high wind warnings. The wind was so bad it kept pushing us into the next lane over. It was terrifying!
i do have a soft top and my jeep is stock.. would a hard top make it more aerodynamic? what bout the Razor back top? Any suggestions help.

Thanks!
:)
No, if you can drive a Wrangler in a 30mph wind, you can drive anything

snide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grand Cherokee
Next time, put the top down, so there would be less wind resistance.

n0arp

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Now, imagine trying to drive a semi tractor/trailer......... I’m not a big fan of many of the Commercial Drivers out there as I perceive many to be operating un-safely. That said, I do pity all of these guys and gals in a cross wind. If my Jeep is a cow, their rigs are 1000x worse.
I have a 2020 JL and a 2019 Ram 3500 DRW with a 40' fifth wheel. The ram with the fifth wheel is light years easier to control in wind than the JL, even though it's a massive windsail being pulled down the road. My old truck was a 2015 GM SRW with the same trailer, and it was notably better than the JL unloaded, when towing in wind. Not a commercial vehicle, mind you, but a massive area to capture wind nonetheless.

I've kind of been wondering if there is an issue with my JL...

rigs.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
My ‘lil 2020 JL is so light that if I fart in a windstorm, it speeds up before it crosses into the other lane. Put it on ice and it’s the perfect hockey puck. Wouldn’t have it any other way.....LOL

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Wait till you get high winds and snowy roads...Now that is fun....
I just drove from Connecticut to British Columbia in my 2020 JLU with a hard top. I hit several snow storms along the way driving through Utah, Tahoe, and Washington. It was a serious white knuckle adventure. I love driving, but there were a couple times when I was legit terrified. It's no joke driving through serious winds with the Jeep, especially when you have tractor trailers passing you or trying to pass them. I slowed down and tried to stay in the right lane for the most part. I never realized how much of an effect the wind has on gas mileage too. This is my first Wrangler.

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited sport s
I have dual tops and prefer the hard top when its windy. I think the soft top acts as a sail.

Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Hi guys!
this past Sunday i was going down the Grape Vine leaving Los Angeles and they had high wind warnings. The wind was so bad it kept pushing us into the next lane over. It was terrifying!
i do have a soft top and my jeep is stock.. would a hard top make it more aerodynamic? what bout the Razor back top? Any suggestions help.

Thanks!
No it does not! I’ve been in winds in my Jeep that had gust up to above 60 between Casper and Cheyenne Wyoming. It happens regularly down there. They always have wind advisories posted on the interstate for tall vehicles. Being in a lifted JEEP with larger tires, makes driving in strong winds terrible, especially when it a side wind.

Here’s a perfect example of what can happen. We actually saw a truck pulling a empty horse trailer get pushed over on our last trip to Cheyenne. Only good thing about it was that no one got injured.

BCpilot

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unl.
Hi guys!

Thanks!
Did a trip to San Diego from Tucson, winds 20-30 MPH slowed from 80 to 75, tracked well. Dealer recall replaced the stearing stabilizer with a much larger one, handles better than before. 2019 JL 2k mi with MOPAR lift 34" tires.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Yes the winds have been crazy a few days here and there lately down in our area. I just drive slow when it’s windy, as in 55 mph and if people get annoyed I hope they understand that I’m in a higher profile vehicle.

I did get blown into the next lane once when a semi passed me (was driving about 65 mph) but didn’t fight it since the lane was empty. It really scared me though, I don’t know how I would handle it if there were a car in the next lane. I had a TJ years ago and I don’t remember it being as bad in the wind. Although my TJ was set much lower to the ground than my Willys.
Sponsored

Last edited: