Intermittent key fob?

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
Yes I am having problems with the FOB. At first it seemed somewhat random but this morning it would not work at all. I personally think the whole keyless system is a POS but fortunately it happened at home and could retrieve the other fob that worked instead of 20 miles into the mountains where2 days ago I went to play in the snow. IF i had to snow shoe out of the mountains I would have been looking for and fng engineer. Off to the dealer tomorrow. There is a reason I keep my 81 CJ around.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Just an update that this problem was a one time thing. A bit unnerving now knowing why, but Iā€™m glad it hasnā€™t happened since!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes I am having problems with the FOB. At first it seemed somewhat random but this morning it would not work at all. I personally think the whole keyless system is a POS but fortunately it happened at home and could retrieve the other fob that worked instead of 20 miles into the mountains where2 days ago I went to play in the snow. IF i had to snow shoe out of the mountains I would have been looking for and fng engineer. Off to the dealer tomorrow. There is a reason I keep my 81 CJ around.
Hi WyoTex,
We certainly apologize for the troubles you've experienced with our Keyless Entry system. If you'd like our additional support, or would like to update us on the status of your vehicle while in service, feel free to send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have this problem. Jeep is about 2 years old. Could it be a dying battery already?

Obviously not driving as frequently these days but it seems like it doesn't recognize the fob about 50% of the time. I have to push the button with the fob to start.

I am going to switch to the other fob and see if it still does the same thing.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have this problem. Jeep is about 2 years old. Could it be a dying battery already?

Obviously not driving as frequently these days but it seems like it doesn't recognize the fob about 50% of the time. I have to push the button with the fob to start.

I am going to switch to the other fob and see if it still does the same thing.
May be it's interference with reception? I know of areas / locations where my FOB is not recognized when using my Proximity Door Locks. It's not just my Wrangler FOB. I have another car with keyless door locks and the same happens when I am parked in the same area.

I wonder if my battery is in need of replacement also? My JLR just turned a year old. Just last week my FOB did not seem to be recognized while pushing the START button while the FOB was in my pocket. I rearranged the FOB inside of my pocket and it started. Never had a issue unit last week and it was only that one time.

Let us know if your other remote cures your problem. I might replace the battery anyway just incase.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
May be it's interference with reception? I know of areas / locations where my FOB is not recognized when using my Proximity Door Locks. It's not just my Wrangler FOB. I have another car with keyless door locks and the same happens when I am parked in the same area.

I wonder if my battery is in need of replacement also? My JLR just turned a year old. Just last week my FOB did not seem to be recognized while pushing the START button while the FOB was in my pocket. I rearranged the FOB inside of my pocket and it started. Never had a issue unit last week and it was only that one time.

Let us know if your other remote cures your problem. I might replace the battery anyway just incase.
I don't think it's interference. It's been happening in my garage and nothing has really changed in there. I'll let you know what I figure out.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
My fob didn't work two days after I picked up my Jeep, I got locked out of mine. Annoying, it didn't work a week ago too, no rhyme or reason and different circumstances. It's time to try the other fob...

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I still haven't had any further problems with mine. Just the one time, at a place I go to 3-4x/week. Often the same parking spot too. Definitely not interference. I hope you guys can figure it out!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't think it's interference. It's been happening in my garage and nothing has really changed in there. I'll let you know what I figure out.
I switched to my backup fob and no problems. So I am pretty sure it is the fob. maybe the battery after 2 years? gonna switch back now and see if the problem returns. if it does I will replace the battery.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just to close the loop on this, the behavior was that even when I had the FOB with me it wouldn't recognize it and I had to start the Jeep by pressing the start button with the fob. This was usually the first time I got in the Jeep during the day and it would work ok for a few hours after that.

I replaced my fob battery and it is working normally again. So I guess the battery can die after 2 years.
Sponsored