I have a decision to make.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Frankly, the money is a secondary concern. It boils down to the 2 door vs a 4 door with a great motor. At 74, I fully realize money can't buy happiness, but also realize I have a finite time to do dumb shit stuff...like buying a 392 jeep...or ride around in a fun as hell 2 door!
Well, at your age, trading for a 392 sounds downright tame compared to other kinds of nonsense that some silly people get into.
Sponsored

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I'm hitting 74 this year. Spent over 45 years of my life road racing with the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America). Spent a ton of money doing so. Did it make sense financially? Nope. Did I enjoy it? Very much. Would I do it again. Absolutely!

After I retired, racing was not in my retirement budget so we bought a motor home and traveled from So Cal to the Florida Keys to Alaska. Anyone that has had a motor home knows it's a very bad investment. Did we enjoy it. Yep. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Now the wife's health is not good so our traveling days are over, the motor home is gone and the 2014 JKUR we towed is gone. I now have a 2022 392 in the garage. Does it make sense financially? Nope. Do I enjoy it. Yep. Would I do it again? Too soon the say as I've only had it for four months but so far so good.

I am not a rock crawler, just not in my DNA. But we have a ton a good trails very close and if it ever stops raining here I will be going off road.

Don't know what Jeep has done but the 392 is a completely different Jeep than our 2014 was. A pleasure to drive on the freeway at 80 mph. I am getting around 14 mpg doing short trips around town. It's just fun to drive.

I can tell you that every time I get in the 392 and push the start button I get a big shit eating grin on my face. That's Priceless!

Your results will very.

runoffs99.jpg

Country-Coach.jpg

Jeep 392.jpg

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Had a 19 JLR, didn't care for the manual trans. traded to a 21 Gladiator Mojave, traded to a 23 JLUR. Loved them all for different reasons, I do really like the 4 door but am now kicking myself for not getting the 392. Also retired and not leaving anything behind.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
v8s were fun back in the day.. these v6s have the power of a v8 back in the day. they are perfect for a 4x4 imho.

If you were driving a pinto.. ya do it.. reality is you have a killer 2 door JL people would love to have. this spring you will pop the top on the 2 door and be glad you are not driving a 4 door buss with a big gas bill

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
It doesn't seem like you're getting enough for your trade. What did your current 2 door cost? If you add that number to the difference, how far over the cost of just buying that 392 is it?

Sponsored

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Hard to pass up a 392 XR especially in Reign! But in my opinion the 2-door is the one to have if you don't need the extra space... even without the V8! I'd probably keep the JLR.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Put a 392 in your current JLR, now that would be baddassery at it's finest!

Reactions: AFD

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Do it while you can as long as it makes you happy! A doctor can change your life with a diagnosis at anytime. Live for now, money is just money. Live to the fullest while health is on your side!

My loving wife of 40 years was diagnosed with life threatening stage 4 cancer last year. I stopped working and retirement gained a whole new meaning. We still purchased our Rubicon then ordered and an Mission Overland trailer with the full knowledge we may not get much use out of them but so far in between medical treatments, every memory made and every new thing we see keeps our life as rich as possible!

Money is just money and who cares if you don't have two nickels to rub together when your health is failing and you are on your sick bed. You can't replace your experiences then no matter if you still have your wealth or not.

verapx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 1982 CJ-8, 2012 Ram 2500 4WD
I'd wait and see if they offer the 2 door with the twin turbo hurricane option. Then you'd have the jeep you like with plenty of power to boot.

colojeepr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubi
I thought TRX would be more practical. Wrong! Big, heavy, thirsty and a beast to drive.
Same! I had a TRX for a hot minute and hated every minute of it so much that I ordered my current Jeep after owning the TRX for only a few weeks. Parallel parking that thing on city side streets is a special form of hades. I was super psyched when Earl-e delivered months ahead of what I'd planned to endure in terms of a wait time. Switching from filling up twice a week to once a month literally broke my brain a little.

Sponsored

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
The timeless goodness of Jeeps is not speed; it is to enjoy the moment and being outside at a slow pace. Yes, I know, it sounds corny, but it is no less true.

That’s been Jeep’s secret sauce for 80+ years.
I like to point out to my wife that of all the motorized toys I've had or could have chosen - sports coupes, snowmobiles, motorcycles - a 2-door, manual Jeep is by far the least likely to get me killed. All the real action is under 20MPH, so very little temptation to go fast, and it's at least as safe in an accident as any modern small truck; much safer than a compact car with an equivalent wheelbase, and just as maneuverable. Still a little unnerving how easily it hits 75+ compared to my last 2-door Jeep, but the 5MPG difference between 65 and 75 keeps me in line.

OP
OP

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
I have built a number of fast cars over the years...and have the gray hair to prove it! I fear my days of modified cars are over. It's nice to have a car with a warranty at my stage of life. So it's the 2 door with the v6 or the 4 door with the hemi. Having a hemi transplant in my 2 door opens up a can of worms I don't want to deal with. Been there. Done that.

Jeep Wrangler JL I have a decision to make. 20230110_122743

Last edited:

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I have built a number of fast cars over the years...and have the gray hair to prove it! I fear my days of modified cars is over. It's nice to have a car with a warranty at my stage of life. So it's the 2 door with the v6 or the 4 door with the hemi. Having a hemi transplant in my 2 door opens up a can of worms I don't want to deal with. Been there. Done that.
Didn't I see early in the thread a Z06 was coming? I gave up on the 392 when I saw the cost vector was 25-30K more than my 2021 Rubi thinking "that's half a C8". You sound like you are in a position to have what you want...but the 2 door seems to be a big part to you. Why give that up when you have a C8 on the way?

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I have built a number of fast cars over the years...and have the gray hair to prove it! I fear my days of modified cars is over. It's nice to have a car with a warranty at my stage of life. So it's the 2 door with the v6 or the 4 door with the hemi. Having a hemi transplant in my 2 door opens up a can of worms I don't want to deal with. Been there. Done that.

20230110_122743.jpg
Buddy, if you have that beauty waiting for you at a dealership and you still took the time to post this thread and solicit opinions, you must know in your heart that the Jeep for you is the one in your driveway. I'd have been there the moment that came off the truck, if it was what I truly wanted.