Sponsored

I have a decision to make.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
My advice is to keep the 2 door AND get the 392. Have them both for a while and sell the one that you lose interest in after 6 mos or so.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Talk to people who actually own 392's. That's going to give you the best idea, especially depending on your use case.

Me, personally? If I could swing it, I'd do it. All day every day. It makes zero sense financially and environmentally, but it is the last of the breed, and the added power and torque would make highway driving a little nicer, as well as crawling better, without having to go to stupid low gearing set up. Just be aware: If you're a hard usecase, you may end up wanting bigger axles.
Plus, bonus: Purple is a wild color. I like the wild colors. 9496184674971646 shades of silver/ gray bore me.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
No kids, unless you count my 2 German Shepherds! Again, money is not the deciding factor, it is the 2 door vs 4 door, FOMO if 392 is discontinued, and the knowledge the 2 door would be a daily, while 392 would be more of a garage queen.
You know for the difference in price, you could have a 392 put in your 2 door rubicon.

That may be the ideal situation for you.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I just went back to a 2 door after a couple of 4 doors. To me, the most fun things you can do in a Jeep are at low speeds, and most of those are more fun with the short wheelbase.

The 392 changes the equation, but I'm not sure if it would work for me. For the same money, if I really wanted a fast SUV, I could get a Grand Cherokee SRT with fewer compromises. I had the 2.0T in my most recent 4-door, and I don't think I would want or need more power than that in a Wrangler. If anything, it was a little too punchy to keep traction sometimes (I might feel differently if I had opted for the full-time 4WD).

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It seems that you like to buy halo cars and own them for a short time. I don't get it, but then again I don't have to. I can say as an exclusive 2 door owner over 3 wranglers ("87, '13, '20) that I have not had a better vehicle to just run around and do things in. It's easy to drive, has good road presence and is super easy to park.

Everyone has different priorities and values. Even if I won the Mega Millions or got a giant windfall of money somehow, I would just keep the newer vehicles I have and buy more land and more old pickups. Halo vehicles and Euro exotics just don't make sense to me.

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
To quote my uncle: "There's no luggage rack on a hearse..."
ie you can't take it with you.
So, just keep the 2 door Jeep
and for your horsepower fix buy a C8 Corvette and you'll have money left over...then go take Ron Fellows Performance Driving School...and experience on the track what you can do with mucho horsepower besides just tire wasting smokey burnouts...and have twice the fun!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP: sounds to me like you are of the mindset to constantly keep getting the new and shiny thing, and have the financial means to do it.

I am not one to throw a rock. I’ve been there myself many times before.

All I can say is, in my situation, as retirement approaches, priorities change. My goal now is to keep stashing my 401K and pay off my home.

Yes, my eye keeps wandering; I have to keep reminding myself to stick to my goals. So far so good.

Food for thought: even if FCA stops making 392s, they will be out there in the used market. I see lots of used 392s with low miles being advertised at a nice discount. With the used vehicle market undergoing a correction, I’d wait and keep looking for a good opportunity to present itself. Meanwhile, enjoy that 2-door...!

Good luck.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
I’m at the point in life where I only want to buy fun vehicles. The 392 is the most fun Wrangler ever, no question…..don’t believe that? Go look at all the review videos on YouTube. The reviewers ALWAYS are laughing with a huge smile at some point in their review. The only way to make it more fun would be a GOOD manual transmission, which Jeep doesn’t have.

And for those saying just put a 392 or whatever in another model are minimizing all the R&D the Engineers put into this project.

I would advise the OP try it for a year, he could always sell it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to make a distinction:

I have owned several vehicles with the 392: yes, it is a glorious engine and fun as hell. But those vehicles were fun one stop light at a time. Invariably, you catch yourself in a constant rush to get somewhere, and in constant need to prove something. Eventually it gets old.

The timeless goodness of Jeeps is not speed; it is to enjoy the moments outside at a slow pace. Yes, I know, it sounds corny, but it is no less true.

This has been Jeep’s secret sauce for 80+ years.

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
You already owned a 392, so if you liked it better than your current 2 door, get another one.

If you want a 2 door as a run around fun in the sun vehicle, get a TJ.

Enjoy the Jeep(s)!

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I’d like to make a distinction:

I have owned several vehicles with the 392: yes, it is a glorious engine and fun as hell. But those vehicles were fun one stop light at a time. Invariably, you catch yourself in a constant rush to get somewhere, and in constant need to prove something. Eventually it gets old.

The timeless goodness of Jeeps is not speed; it is to enjoy the moments outside at a slow pace. Yes, I know, it sounds corny, but it is no less true.

This has been Jeep’s secret sauce for 80+ years.
This. Jeep’s are for putting’ around in the toolies. 2 doors give an edge on tight trails and are more handy around town. Hence, for me a 2 dr is the only way to go. You’ve already had a 392 so you know how they drive. If you liked it you’d have kept it. If you really want something cool and unique, spend some of the $33 on putting a Hemi in your 2 dr (or a supercharger if you’re running the V6). Big power in a small package. With that said, my stock little 2.0 has no trouble breaking my 285/70 17’s loose.

Deleted member 59498

Even if I was rich I don't know if I'd want the 392. I REALLY want the twin turbo V6! Until that comes out and if it's at a price point I can afford, I'll stick with my little 4 banger. To each his own though, you're the one owning it, not anyone else. Who cares what others think, get what you want. I got the little tiny 4 banger motor because I'm compensating.... :CWL:
That avatar messing with my brain! LOL

Reactions: AFD