OP

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've owned four JKs with Freedom Tops. I have never even considered removing the top. Combination of lack of appeal (to me), time to remove/install, storage, and inability to react to weather changes. But, mostly It's just not my thing. Different strokes...
I totally get there are different strokes for different folks. I wasn't trying to troll anyone for not wanting to get some fresh air. I probably would have been zipped up if I was doing some highway driving, but for cruising around town (simple two and four lane roads) it seemed odd....when I got my first Jeep (a JKU) in 2012 everyone would have been enjoying the fresh air.

I was just interested in everyone's opinion and if it was something local to me.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
It was in the high 70's in Santa Barbara this weekend. I pulled the doors off my Sahara and had the sky one touch open as well!

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
70 is still a bit on the cold side especially when you hit higher speeds on the highway. Add to that that I have young ones in the Jeep (a 1 and 5 year old) who would not be happy with the cool air, and my top isnt coming down. In the summer when we are talking between high 70s and low 90s and a clear forecast, I'll leave the back windows at home. This allows me to put the top all the way down when they arent in the Jeep and back up but ride safari style when they are in the Jeep. 70 sounds good, but can be cold depending on multiple factors.

Its 70 here in Richmond VA today and I want to take the top down but probably wont.

JeepColorado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I've done it for years and while it was a lot of fun for a long time it's just not my thing anymore. Too much hassle, too heavy. Plus I'm older now and not to put too much of a damper on things, but now I have an appreciation for how devastating skin cancer is.

It's like I tell me friends who still everyday carry a firearm- I did it for years in the military- do it long enough and the shine wears off enough and it just isn't worth it.

I'd buy a fixed metal roof if they had one.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Really glad we got the Bestop sunrider for our hardtop. Literally 5 seconds to open up the front seats to the blue sky above. And maybe 10seconds to close if a sudden rainstorm hits.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I totally get there are different strokes for different folks. I wasn't trying to troll anyone for not wanting to get some fresh air. I probably would have been zipped up if I was doing some highway driving, but for cruising around town (simple two and four lane roads) it seemed odd....when I got my first Jeep (a JKU) in 2012 everyone would have been enjoying the fresh air.

I was just interested in everyone's opinion and if it was something local to me.
No worried - certainly no offense taken at my end. I actually feel somewhat guilty that I don't go topless. :)

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Define "Good Weather"

36 and raining here all of yesterday, and though I had the tops on I had the windows down. Since suddenly realising that I can close all the vents except for the driver's left side and blast warm air at my non-heated-steering wheel hand hanging out the window, I have them down all the time now. I enjoy the cold though.

I've put those little window rain awnings that I used to think were silly on all four windows and they work great. Combined with the theory that the Wrangler doesn't mind getting its interior wet, I usually only have everything buttoned up in really heavy rain or highways above 55 mph. The little awnings do a pretty good job of reducing wind buffeting and rain blowing in, but boy does it get cold. It's great. Too bad this winter has been so mild. I think 22 is as low as it's been during the day.

Unrelatedly, I seem to hardly ever have passengers in my car anymore. You'd think my family would be asking for rides more often considering how often they are going out to buy thicker winter coats these days. There must be a sale or something.

At least the dog doesn't care. Wait, does he care? What does it mean when they're all squint-eyed and shaky? The open windows do help blow all the fur out the car.

As a side note: I find the method of "closing" the vents a little gimmicky, as they don't close as tight as ones with a dedicated knob or switch. Cheaper for FCA though. Also, even with the rear vents "closed", as there is still hot air going through them and the ducting seems to go around the center console storage, it will get hot in that compartment when the heat is on. Don't keep things that don't like to get hot in there in the winter. My Emergency Backup Nutella came out pretty great, but I wasn't expecting chocolate fondue that day.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Taking the top off every day is a hassle. That's why I don't.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Cruised around downtown ATL all day yesterday topless. Rode safari mode to work today because I’m on the highway during my commute and 6am was a little chilly.

I’m with you. The JL softop takes seconds to come off compared to my old YJs or even the JKs I had. Couldn’t imagine not enjoying the weather. Once I get my door hangars, they’ll be off more frequently, too.

It’s unfortunate hard tops seem to be the norm these days. To each their own I guess.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Same in the Dallas area. I had the top down then saw another with their doors off. Probably saw 30 others sealed up and most probably stay that way all year round. I did see 4 convertibles with tops down.
Well, it also comes down to what you do daily. I was going to take the full top off, but I had to go to work today and rain was noted. So for the hour I would maybe drive on a Sunday- not worth it. However, most weekends I take it off Friday if I know if have some time to enjoy it. One day on a Sunday doesn’t typically work.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I *love* driving top-down. My first car was an MGB and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I have a soft top and will put it down in the winter when the weather is good. I keep it down and doors off spring through fall. I have a spiderweb shade that gives a little sun protection. I also wear a bring hat and either sun block or an SPF shirt. I love the openness, but want to be smart about sun exposure.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

All good with me too CC, you said it perfectly, different strokes.... I personally open up 68-83 degrees but like Chocolate Thunder said it can get chilly on the highway at 68 and people do it to look “cute”. I saw a guy here in NY, weather in the 50’s the other day, convertible open, winter jacket and wool hat. Probably one of those people who spray tan themselves and tell everyone they were in the Bahamas. There’s a nice guy in these rooms, I think his handle is Newjlu19 or similar. He claims to open up at 32 degrees. I’ve told him “you’re a better man than me”.
I’m surprised he hasn’t chimed in on this one.
“Curtis where are you?”
Sponsored