crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just a random thought/question...

Yesterday was a picture perfect day in Atlanta. It was the first sunny & warm weekend day we've had in months. The temps were unseasonably warm (almost 70 vs an avg of 56). All I could think about was riding around topless knowing that today was going to be nice as well.

I have no clue how many Jeeps I saw out rolling around (there were more than 25), but being topless (or having any open air) was the exception vs the rule. It just seemed strange to me. Why not take advantage of the good weather?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Same in the Dallas area. I had the top down then saw another with their doors off. Probably saw 30 others sealed up and most probably stay that way all year round. I did see 4 convertibles with tops down.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I'm leaving early and dropping the top this afternoon. It is beautiful in Atlanta.
I can tell you once the heat hits in SoUtah, the tops come off for just about everyone - the sissies that need A/C don't count

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Not all of us buy Wranglers to take the top off. I did with my TJs but later found better convertibles. I bought my JKUR and JLUR because they are the closest thing I could get that is like my old Grand Wagoneer. That was my favorite Jeep. I also had a few XJs that were great and you can't buy them anymore either. When I bought the JKUR and the JLUR, they both came with the dual top option. I sold one premium soft top and left the latest with the dealer. Sure, every now and then the freedom panels come off.

Honestly, if they made a JLUR with a permanent metal top, roof rack, sunroof, and a split tailgate/hatch window like the Land Cruiser, I would never consider looking another SUV option.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Well, it was 52 in Chicago and I saw two JLUā€™s with their doors off. I kept mine ā€œdressedā€ but I did go to the car wash, self serve sprayer kind...

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
After working outside for the past 33 years I usually roll with windows up and zero sunlight. Now that I am retired and a little more relaxed I enjoy the open air concept until the summer heat hits here in Vegas.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've owned four JKs with Freedom Tops. I have never even considered removing the top. Combination of lack of appeal (to me), time to remove/install, storage, and inability to react to weather changes. But, mostly It's just not my thing. Different strokes...

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
68 degrees and sunny in Houston this past weekend. I took the freedom panels off. It was barely warm enough to drive like that. Driving on the freeway at 70 mph, it was cold. Not everyone wants to be uncomfortable just to look cute. If it were a little warmer (maybe 75?) itā€™d be perfect. If itā€™s much warmer than that itā€™s too hot. Top off weather is a relatively small window for some of us.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Also not all of us live in a large house with garage space to spare to store the hard top.

Also something like Toplift Pro isnā€™t free so probably will have to save up a fairly significant chunk of change first before I can manage to take it off.

cje2148

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just a random thought/question...

Yesterday was a picture perfect day in Atlanta. It was the first sunny & warm weekend day we've had in months. The temps were unseasonably warm (almost 70 vs an avg of 56). All I could think about was riding around topless knowing that today was going to be nice as well.

I have no clue how many Jeeps I saw out rolling around (there were more than 25), but being topless (or having any open air) was the exception vs the rule. It just seemed strange to me. Why not take advantage of the good weather?
Did the same thing yesterday, was driving around North GA with the top down and will absolutely do the same on the commute home today around Atlanta.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For a random warm day I might remove the small panels but the large section would require time to remove and space to store it without banging it up.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Today it is to be in the low 60s when I leave work. The freedom panels will be out.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I finally got back into a Jeep only 2 months ago, so anything above 50 degrees is warm enough for for me right now :)

I didn't have the time and set-up yesterday to fully remove the hard-top, but I can not wait for the warmer weather to become consistent so I can swap out for my soft-top. But for now, I always keep my freedom panel bag in the trunk ready to take them off. Looking forward to this afternoon >70 degrees in St. Louis.

I did get my first no-door Jeep wave yesterday though, so that was fun and encouraging.
Sponsored