Sponsored

How feasible is it to remove BSG/E-Torque system?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@oceanblue2019 What are your thoughts about upgrading the BSG to a higher output model? Both for more charging capacity & torque increase. I believe the batteries are the same on the 2.0 & 3.6, so does that mean the 2.0 could utilize the 3.6's BSG (if it physically fits)?

BSG ratings for anyone wondering:
2.0 = 70 ft. lbs.
3.6 = 90 ft. lbs.
5.7 = 130 ft. lbs.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
If you figure it out and tear out your bsg, ill buy it from you. The turbo lag on my 2.0 is killing me.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Hate to say it considering the thread, but I love my etorque. I have a 2.0 turbo rubicon with it (2019) and love the etorque. Admittedly while I wheel I also am commuting. Personally for what you're wanting I'd go old school with a jeep and then build it into what I wanted. . . but keep it simple. Regardless of whether you have etorque on it or not, I'm not sure that todays jeeps lend themselves to a rebuild in the middle of the tundra. . . . just my 2 cents.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm not an expert, but what about the design differences of using a generator vs. alternator? All of the automotive information I can find about generators is talking about the technology that peaked in the mid-1960s, and I don't really trust it's information to be accurate.

My thought is that it actually makes more sense to use a generator in an automobile, as there would be no need to convert from AC to DC with a rectifier. I also believe I have read that a generator is actually simpler technology (but not as reliable), which is probably why they were around before alternators took over.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Guessing you wouldn't get any warranty coverage because of the interconnectivity. Don't even know if any dealer would touch the vehicle not knowing what all had been done. Nothing is worth that trouble.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@oceanblue2019 What are your thoughts about upgrading the BSG to a higher output model? Both for more charging capacity & torque increase. I believe the batteries are the same on the 2.0 & 3.6, so does that mean the 2.0 could utilize the 3.6's BSG (if it physically fits)?

BSG ratings for anyone wondering:
2.0 = 70 ft. lbs.
3.6 = 90 ft. lbs.
5.7 = 130 ft. lbs.
I've not spent any up close and personal quality time with the BSG on a 3.6 or the 5.7 but I suspect the actual starter/generator is what changes the performance, as it's logical that more cylinders/displacement takes more torque to get it spun up instantly.

The battery has lots of power for multiple starts back to back, and again once it gets low/depleted it gracefully just disables the system until it's charged back up. Even in stop and go Washington DC traffic I've yet to have it disable start/stop when crawling along. I have had it say it was disabled after sitting at the airport for 3 weeks in the parking lot over the winter. Started up fine, told me start/stop was disabled until charged, and 15 minutes or so was happy again.

I've also tested this a lot with my extra power feed to compressor and fridge.
Sponsored