Sponsored

How feasible is it to remove BSG/E-Torque system?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I think the worst part of trying to delete e-torque would be the cann buss system and the Wrangler computers. I disabled ESS permanently, I even went to a dual battery system that takes the moped battery out and deletes one of the cables of the ESS. What happened first when I had an engine problem not related to ESS, ESS warning! I bet that BSG group is tied into literally everything.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I think the worst part of trying to delete e-torque would be the cann buss system and the Wrangler computers. I disabled ESS permanently, I even went to a dual battery system that takes the moped battery out and deletes one of the cables of the ESS. What happened first when I had an engine problem not related to ESS, ESS warning! I bet that BSG group is tied into literally everything.
When you start messing with the electronics.....may God have mercy on you!!!

OP
OP

jeepstylin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7 Renegade, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Buy a 2019?
I may do that. The pre-BSG 2020 can still be had off a dealer lot too. Definitely leaning that way. OceanBlue had a lot of really good ideas and insights though. I'll probably research the BSG a bit more first.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It just doesn't seem that it can be reasonably achieved without causing more potential liabilities and points of failure than originally existed. Granted, the 48v system is overly complicated and ridiculous, but as of yet I don't believe it is possible to reflash the 3.6 PCM to change between BSG and ESS. The ESS delete is quite simple.

Do you have any particular sticking points on this that can actually be directly addressed?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeepstylin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just doesn't seem that it can be reasonably achieved without causing more potential liabilities and points of failure than originally existed. Granted, the 48v system is overly complicated and ridiculous, but as of yet I don't believe it is possible to reflash the 3.6 PCM to change between BSG and ESS. The ESS delete is quite simple.

Do you have any particular sticking points on this that can actually be directly addressed?
Respectfully, I think we're going to open a new can of worms. To save you from starting at the top, basically extra parts that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Unfortunate location of the 48V battery under the Jeep and higher likelihood of damage.

Respectfully, I think we're going to open a new can of worms. To save you from starting at the top, basically extra parts that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Unfortunate location of the 48V battery under the Jeep where there is a higher likelihood of damage.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Respectfully, I think we're going to open a new can of worms. To save you from starting at the top, basically extra parts that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Unfortunate location of the 48V battery under the Jeep and higher likelihood of damage.

Respectfully, I think we're going to open a new can of worms. To save you from starting at the top, basically extra parts that aren't needed to get from point A to B. Unfortunate location of the 48V battery under the Jeep where there is a higher likelihood of damage.
That's not what I meant, and I did start at the top. It's not a very long thread. I mean, why in particular do you want to remove the BSG system from a vehicle that is equipped with it, versus buying a Jeep that doesn't have it to begin with? If the question is purely academic, that's fine too, it's just harder to interact with.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thank you, Ocean Blue, it took 40 posts to get an intelligent , comprehensive answer to the original question, but it was well worth the wading through Snark and Angst...
Thanks, as mentioned I'm using the 48V battery for the BSG as well as a power source for my fridge and compressor.

I figured instead of spending $$$$ on a good lithium battery setup for the house battery to go this way first and really happy how it's working. No extra weight and so far no downsides.

I actually think if Jeep simply put a couple aux power plugs in the back off the 48V system as a standard feature the BSG would have had a much higher acceptance rate.....

OP
OP

jeepstylin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not what I meant, and I did start at the top. It's not a very long thread. I mean, why in particular do you want to remove the BSG system from a vehicle that is equipped with it, versus buying a Jeep that doesn't have it to begin with? If the question is purely academic, that's fine too, it's just harder to interact with.
So I was never dead set on removing BSG from a so equipped vehicle. I asked what it entailed to do so.

I didn't realize that FCA was forcing the BSG on the Rubicon with auto for 2021, or I would have ordered sooner. I was basically waiting to see how COVID played out with my job and other areas of life.

To be honest, I was really looking forward to configuring the thing exactly how I wanted, ordering it and then waiting for it to arrive. Anticipation. Spice of life. So, I was frustrated with myself for missing that window. Probably came through in my original post, which maybe wasn't helpful in communicating my question.

A clear alternative is to buy one used or 2020 off the lot that has things that I don't want or need, or is missing things that I would like to have. That entails spending money on stuff I prefer not to buy, when I could use that money more wisely on things that are useful to me. I'm not strapped for cash, but I just prefer to be efficient.

If the BSG system was a series of removeable bolt on items, and I could just order the rest of the Jeep exactly how I'd like and dump the BSG, I'd do it. Even if there were more steps or technical issues, but it was doable within reason, I'd be game. I was hoping someone would say "yup, figured it out, here's how."

All first world problems. No life or death. I'll end up buying something with 4wd and I'll go use it and love every minute of it. Life is good.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
To the OP. I think it would be more feasible to buy one without it and make any concessions in options than remove it and also lose your warranty.
I do agree not wanting BSG. Had to special order my 2019 V6 . Only four-cylinder turbo BSG were on lots , they were really pushing that at the time.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So I was never dead set on removing BSG from a so equipped vehicle. I asked what it entailed to do so.

I didn't realize that FCA was forcing the BSG on the Rubicon with auto for 2021, or I would have ordered sooner. I was basically waiting to see how COVID played out with my job and other areas of life.

To be honest, I was really looking forward to configuring the thing exactly how I wanted, ordering it and then waiting for it to arrive. Anticipation. Spice of life. So, I was frustrated with myself for missing that window. Probably came through in my original post, which maybe wasn't helpful in communicating my question.

A clear alternative is to buy one used or 2020 off the lot that has things that I don't want or need, or is missing things that I would like to have. That entails spending money on stuff I prefer not to buy, when I could use that money more wisely on things that are useful to me. I'm not strapped for cash, but I just prefer to be efficient.

If the BSG system was a series of removeable bolt on items, and I could just order the rest of the Jeep exactly how I'd like and dump the BSG, I'd do it. Even if there were more steps or technical issues, but it was doable within reason, I'd be game. I was hoping someone would say "yup, figured it out, here's how."

All first world problems. No life or death. I'll end up buying something with 4wd and I'll go use it and love every minute of it. Life is good.
One thought - as the BSG has come and gone on the Rubi 2.0L, and came back on some special models, perhaps we will see the same on the 3.6L?

Perhaps this is the first year of "lets make the BSG standard on the 3.6L Rubi" but next year we could see them back away from that again like they did with the 2.0L.

With a Mohave edition perhaps coming this might also be a way they differentiate models.

If anything the 2.0L shows that Jeep yoyo's on such things a bit and perhaps this is to your benefit as you get another buying window.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
One thought - as the BSG has come and gone on the Rubi 2.0L, and came back on some special models, perhaps we will see the same on the 3.6L?

Perhaps this is the first year of "lets make the BSG standard on the 3.6L Rubi" but next year we could see them back away from that again like they did with the 2.0L.
Except it’s not just Rubicon, the BSG is standard on every 3.6-auto, regardless of trim level

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

FYI - two added benefits of buying a JL off the lot, without eTorque:
  1. You are more likely to get a better deal on a JL in inventory than on a factory order. Granted, there appears to be a shortage of Wranglers in inventory right now, due to the shutdowns and lockdown. But in normal times that would be the case.
  2. You will know for sure how it drives right then and there. You may go through all the trouble of placing a factory order, and waiting for two months, only to find out when it arrives that it steers like the Titanic.
Good luck.
Sponsored