How did you decide on your engine?

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
3.6…never a doubt. I drove the 2.0, and really liked the feel…very peppy. But also very moped-ish. 392, Diesel and 4xe weren’t offered in 2019. So I went with a JLU Sport S 3.6 6M and love it. My son is 13. Probably going to sell it to him for whatever a JL Sport S 6M costs at the time. If they quit making manual transmissions, he’s just gonna have to keep riding his bike.
Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
ESS is on our non e-torque V6 engines, it is the only engine choice we get in JL and JT.
My window sticker reads
”3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine $1,500”

I have start/stop. So doesn't that mean I have BOTH etorque AND ESS?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Well, you've got the 3.6L which is simple as pie, used in everything FCA made, and has a rock solid reputation. But, it makes no torque.

Then you have the 2.0L which shouldn't even exist. It doesn't achieve better or smoother power than the 3.6L, it doesn't save fuel, and it's overly complicated for a gasoline engine.

You've got the 392 Hemi which requires a 2nd mortgage to afford.

You've got the 4xe which is nothing short of a gimmick that will never ever pay for itself when one sits down and actually does the math on it.

Lastly you have the EcoDiesel which achieves excellent fuel economy, makes gobs of torque, has the longest realistic range available, and comes with a 100,000 mile warranty. It can also be refilled in under 5 minutes on most street corners and is more immune to natural disasters and states of emergency.

So to me, the order from first to last would be:

EcoD
Pentastar
4xe
392 Hemi
2.0L Hurricane
Don’t feed the troll…

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
That ESS battery might not be too common in some parts of the world. It is know to leave people stranded. Double check or replace both the main battery and ESS battery before you leave.
My ess is disabled by a tazer. Could a dead was still cause issues? I just had mine replaced last week and it never caused me to startup.

Anyways, I have the bypass installed and I carry a tiny lithium jumper.

In the future, I’ll also have around 3300 watts of battery storage and a solar system. I’m betting I’ll be ok.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My window sticker reads
”3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine $1,500”

I have start/stop. So doesn't that mean I have BOTH etorque AND ESS?
Technically yes.

ESS is just the start-stop function. All 2.0 & 3.6 JLs have this (in the United States at least). Depending on model year & options, both the 3.6 & 2.0 can be had with and without eTorque.

eTorque = one 12V battery & one 48V battery with a BSG instead of an alternator (belt-starter-generator).

non-eTorque = two 12V batteries and a traditional alternator.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Here is a pic posted in the 4xe section where a guy was trying to get the best mpg. He was basically running his battery down then driving in hybrid mode.
1623954295591.png

The thread is here (47) Using true hybrid mode to maximize MPG of Jeep 4xe | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com
81.9+149= 230.9 miles total range. That is no bueno for me, and I can do better than 22.9 mpg w/ my diesel all day long. With the tax incentives, the 4xe is very likely cheaper to own/operate but even more complex than the Exodiesel (I would have thought that not possible) However, if you usually just putter around town, you could really save on fuel, but I live way out past 'the sticks'.
Take single post MPG pictures with a grain of salt. I just drove my 4xe from Daytona to Baltimore and back. Averaging around 75 mph on the freeway, I drove 844.8 miles up using 38.73 gallons of gas. That's 22.6 MPG with an average range per tank of 370 miles. Not recharging the battery along the way either. It was <1% at 13 miles into my trip due to high speeds and AC on.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It was an easy decision by the biggest damn thing they make. I’m only pissed off because a month later they came out was at 392 and now I want to trade in the brand new 2021 Rubicon with a 3.6
Honestly you might be very surprised by what you can sell your 2021 3.6 for. You might not loose much if anything. The used car market is upside down now. Used prices are through the roof.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My ess is disabled by a tazer. Could a dead was still cause issues? I just had mine replaced last week and it never caused me to startup.

Anyways, I have the bypass installed and I carry a tiny lithium jumper.

In the future, I’ll also have around 3300 watts of battery storage and a solar system. I’m betting I’ll be ok.
I read some people replace both batteries when one is bad for insurance? Double check the lithium jumper. I thought I read some ESS owners had trouble jumping with those? Maybe it was earlier ESS systems? There is a long thread on this somewhere. I will see if I can get you a link.

There are ore a few threads. Here is one of them.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ep-who-has-done-it-with-a-battery-pack.46599/

Last edited:

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Technically yes.

ESS is just the start-stop function. All 2.0 & 3.6 JLs have this (in the United States at least). Depending on model year & options, both the 3.6 & 2.0 can be had with and without eTorque.

eTorque = one 12V battery & one 48V battery with a BSG instead of an alternator (belt-starter-generator).

non-eTorque = two 12V batteries and a traditional alternator.
Actual that is not 100% accurate. My 2020 JLUR non eTorque 3.6 auto with HD electrical/tow package had a generator not an alternator. I know this for a fact as they were replaced twice due to being damaged from other issues in my electrical system. Just over $660 each covered under warranty.

I was told by the dealership that all the HD electrical/tow packages with either the 3.6 or 2.0 have a generator vs a traditional alternator regardless of eTorque.

Non eTorque JLs without the HD towing/electrical package use a traditional alternator would be more correct.

Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Actual that is not 100% accurate. My 2020 JLUR non eTorque 3.6 auto with HD electrical/tow package had a generator not an alternator. I know this for a fact as they were replaced twice due to being damaged from other issues in my electrical system. Just over $660 each covered under warranty.

I was told by the dealership that all the HD electrical/tow packages with either the 3.6 or 2.0 have a generator vs a traditional alternator regardless of eTorque.

Non eTorque JLs without the HD towing/electrical package use a traditional alternator would be more correct.
I have a 2.0lT, non-etorque, ESS. This from my window sticker:
Trailer–Tow and Heavy–Duty Electrical Group Auxillary Switches
240–Amp Alternator
700–Amp Maintenance–Free Battery
Class II Receiver Hitch
7– and 4–Pin Wiring Harness

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ooops....sorry, jumped one year ahead. (fixed)
In that case it's still not super relevant to look specifically at June 2021 in my opinion. The 392 and 4xe are still getting extra sales from the newness factor. It's not a regular period in the product life cycle.

If I had to guess long run, the totals for the JL engine volumes would be more like this:
2.0T
Pentastar
Diesel/4xe

Like I said before, it's very hard to say if the 4xe would outsell the diesel. They are both so niche and so hyped. Plus the diesel has more time on the sales floor and a wider price range to hit, but the 4xe had the tax credits. It's an interesting consumer story to follow.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is precisely the experience I made. Mine was not disconnected during shipping, only the main battery was. Here they want 400$ for a new Aux battery 😬
$400 for the ESS battery? Ouch! I think that is 4X what it cost in the US? Where are you?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I’m old, experience taught me to never buy the new fancy technology from jeep. Simple V-6 was my choice. And I’m very very happy with it.. As time passes and turbo E torque electrical nightmare start to show up. My simple V-6 will increase in value. Everything works great when it’s brand new. Wait till it’s out of 😩😂🤣warranty.
Sponsored