Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
All three 2018 Sahara hardtops I test drove last year had the awful buffeting vibrations at speeds between 20-45 mph, but stopped at highway speeds; the soft top I drove had no buffeting noise; if I decide on a JL I plan to get the one-touch power top.
Our Rubicon is that way too but I get used to the buffeting after driving it a couple times. If I am not in it for a couple of weeks I notice it again the next time I get in it.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
This is so troubling. I really wouldn't mind "noise", but the buffeting effect is so frustrating. i'll have to check out a soft top and a few more hardtops. If the buffeting can be fixed, then i'm happy.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
This is my first Jeep so I did not know what to expect other than it was not going to be as quiet as a normal vehicle. The wind noise is louder between 56-60 mph, but the rest of the time seems pretty quiet.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
This is my first Jeep so I did not know what to expect other than it was not going to be as quiet as a normal vehicle. The wind noise is louder between 56-60 mph, but the rest of the time seems pretty quiet.
Yeah, wind noise I can deal with, it's the "buffeting" effect that many have posted about that's troubling. Maybe I can rent a wrangler for a week or something to test it out.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the buffeting noise, but it's not there all the time and when it is only at interstate speeds. Haven't done anything to try to minimize it as I only put the hard top on for the winter and the average 10' of snow we get. I actually get less wind noise from my soft top.
I have a 2018 JL Sahara and don't notice any unusual road noise at any speeds. My wife has a Toyota Camry 2015 and I hear more road noise from that than I do from my Jeep. Am I hearing impaired??? I don't think so.... eh?? what did you say???

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Yeah, wind noise I can deal with, it's the "buffeting" effect that many have posted about that's troubling. Maybe I can rent a wrangler for a week or something to test it out.
I have never noticed the buffeting in a soft top. All the hard tops I test drove didn’t do it but some did.

zamboniman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
For ones that are experiencing the buffeting noise. Was it with a 2.0 or 3.6 engine?

Long shot theory but curious if the active noise cancellation system is causing it. I have a grand Cherokee with the system and sometimes it gets wonky and will do this exact same thing. Pounding the ear drums like a window is open even though there isn't. Then it will all of the sudden go away.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
For ones that are experiencing the buffeting noise. Was it with a 2.0 or 3.6 engine?

Long shot theory but curious if the active noise cancellation system is causing it. I have a grand Cherokee with the system and sometimes it gets wonky and will do this exact same thing. Pounding the ear drums like a window is open even though there isn't. Then it will all of the sudden go away.
Does the wrangler even have active noise cancellation? I’ve never seen it mentioned anywhere.

My 2019 hard top doesn’t have any buffeting.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I won't say my JLUR is quiet, but it's not as noisy as I expected. I drove my B-I-L's 08 JKU the other day and it was loud inside. The buffeting isn't surprising, given the box shape of a Jeep. But I haven't noted it being particularly loud or distracting. I have given thought to adding some Dynamat and the ceiling carpet panels. It's hard to figure out where buffeting would be coming from. Could be the mirrors, windshield-roof shape, A-pillar etc.. It'd be easy enough to eliminate the mirrors by just removing them to see if that fixes it. If so, you'll need to figure out an aero fix. Same with the roof or A-pillar. Sometimes, little vortex generators ahead of the area buffeting will fix buffet.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does the wrangler even have active noise cancellation? I’ve never seen it mentioned anywhere.

My 2019 hard top doesn’t have any buffeting.
From Jeep.com

"The All-New Wrangler offers an available Alpine® Premium Audio System with a 552-watt 12-channel amplifier, eight speakers and a rear subwoofer. The system is enhanced by active noise cancellation and acoustic laminated windshield glass."

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
From Jeep.com

"The All-New Wrangler offers an available Alpine® Premium Audio System with a 552-watt 12-channel amplifier, eight speakers and a rear subwoofer. The system is enhanced by active noise cancellation and acoustic laminated windshield glass."
Maybe the system was off when these guys noticed the loud cab?

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
This is so troubling. I really wouldn't mind "noise", but the buffeting effect is so frustrating. i'll have to check out a soft top and a few more hardtops. If the buffeting can be fixed, then i'm happy.
I have same issue - put foam between roof and back rollbar - works.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
From Jeep.com

Interesting, I do have the Alpine system and no issues with buffeting on either top. I also have the body colored hard top, can’t imagine this makes a difference. Mine was a March 2018 build as well, so fairly early. It’s the 3.6 engine.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Our wind noise was coming fm the corners of the windshield where the freedom panel wraps around. We had this in our JK too. How I solved this was to first take a paper towel and using about 3 inches of of it rolled into a 1/4" or so roll. Took about 3 inches of that and placed it between the windshield frame and the freedom panel. I did this first because in the JK, I had to move it around a bit to locate the air leak. I'd drive at highway speeds, stop adjust the "roll", drive some more until I either located the leak or was just happy with the wind noise being abated enough to be tolerable. Once the "leak" was found I placed 5/8" weather stripping onto the freedom panel in this area. Of course another test drive is required to ensure the fix is/was correct. This 5/8" weather stripping can be found at your favorite home improvement store and can be used around the house for a myriad of other things.
Sponsored