dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine yesterday and no real difference but I didn't expect any. Playing with both the old and new stabilizer, I don't see any perceivable difference in pressure to compress/decompress.
Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As you can see from the attached pic, the bulge in no way interferes with the mounting of the stabilizer. Seems to be plenty of room to me.

steering stabilizer 1.jpg
Excatly.....a 8mm socket and 3 minutes sets it correctly if the dealer install didn't get it right.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
My dealer got it right the fist time. The difference is very subtle in steering stability, but noticeable and feels more locked in. I approve!

hicksx3

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Rubicon Unlimited
Hey all... I just want to reiterate to check that the bulge on your replaced steering stabilizer was indeed installed in the down position. Don't take it for granted.
When mine was installed I told the service writer about the need for it to be installed downward and he said "oh ya, we know, we do this all the time" and then disregarded any further communication. Then when they finished, I checked and sure enough the bulge was in the upward position. The tech then came out to look at it and was not happy with me when I nicely explained the new stabilizers need to have the bulge in the downward position. I became the "bad" guy. Why are some dealers so arrogant and can't accept the fact they don't know it all.
As one previous post joked about; The dealers are still putting 6 quarts of oil in the JL's. I too had six quarts in mine!

upload_2019-8-14_17-48-37-png.png
Wow thanks! My steering has been awful since they changed it (it was perfect before!). I just noticed they also have it upside down. This from one of the largest dealers in Idaho! I would have much rather had the $$ and purchased aftermarket!

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer got it right the fist time. The difference is very subtle in steering stability, but noticeable and feels more locked in. I approve!
This review from only a few days ago stands for a stock Rubicon. Since then I've added 37x1250R20s with no lift (yes, I rub). The new steering stabilizer is now inadequate, but not woefully, and does not feel dangerous or scary. It just could be better. I'm sure it would have been worse if I still had the old SS in there....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Josht10

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon unlimited
The dealer replaced mine today:
2019 JLUR with 8k miles, 35s with a 2” spacer lift on Fox 2.0 shocks. The only other modifications are the longer mopar control arms.
Mine always had a somewhat unstable feeling at highway speed and a little bit of wheel shimmy when going over bumps. It was never bad enough to bring to the dealer, but I had to make sure to keep a good grip on the wheel and pay attention. This is my first Jeep so I just assumed that was to be expected with a solid axle vehicle. I installed the longer control arms to increase caster, but didn’t really notice much difference in drivability.
The dealer did the install (correctly) and I immediately felt the difference just leaving the lot. It now feels much more locked in on the highway and crosswinds don’t seem to affect it near as much. I can finally relax when driving, great improvement.

Peck1234

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 Door
5300 miles on my 18 JL that I bought this july. Im now getting the death wobble when hitting bumps in road 65mph+. Ran my VIN and my vehicle has already been "fixed".

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
The dealer replaced mine today:
2019 JLUR with 8k miles, 35s with a 2” spacer lift on Fox 2.0 shocks. The only other modifications are the longer mopar control arms.
Mine always had a somewhat unstable feeling at highway speed and a little bit of wheel shimmy when going over bumps. It was never bad enough to bring to the dealer, but I had to make sure to keep a good grip on the wheel and pay attention. This is my first Jeep so I just assumed that was to be expected with a solid axle vehicle. I installed the longer control arms to increase caster, but didn’t really notice much difference in drivability.
The dealer did the install (correctly) and I immediately felt the difference just leaving the lot. It now feels much more locked in on the highway and crosswinds don’t seem to affect it near as much. I can finally relax when driving, great improvement.
Did you pay for the LCA? And instAll?

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
5300 miles on my 18 JL that I bought this july. Im now getting the death wobble when hitting bumps in road 65mph+. Ran my VIN and my vehicle has already been "fixed".
Did they install the steering damper correctly? Many people are posting that there's was installed upside down, they don't work properly if installed wrong.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Wow thanks! My steering has been awful since they changed it (it was perfect before!). I just noticed they also have it upside down. This from one of the largest dealers in Idaho! I would have much rather had the $$ and purchased aftermarket!
Are you planning on going back to the dealer? We are happy to escalate a case for you so that one of our case managers can help get this resolved. Feel free to send us a private message with your VIN if you are interested.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
So my 2018 JLUR is part of this recall but I never had the wobble issue, shall I risk it and get the parts replaced and hope they do the work correctly or just leave it untouched? I do have lifetime maxcare, would they fix it under recall if I develop this wobble say a few years down the road?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So my 2018 JLUR is part of this recall but I never had the wobble issue, shall I risk it and get the parts replaced and hope they do the work correctly or just leave it untouched? I do have lifetime maxcare, would they fix it under recall if I develop this wobble say a few years down the road?
I was in the same boat, a 2018 JLUR with zero wobble and great steering. Still, I was part of the recall and got it done. The dealer put it on correctly, and I was shocked that the steering felt even more improved.

Seriously, I would recommend you get it done. Most likely the dealer will install correctly, and if not, its probably a 5 - 10 minute operation for them to fix. Or even the most rudimentary home mechanic could fix in as little time with basic tools.

Get it done, you won't regret it, and it won't mess up your steering. I promise...

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was in the same boat, a 2018 JLUR with zero wobble and great steering. Still, I was part of the recall and got it done. The dealer put it on correctly, and I was shocked that the steering felt even more improved.

Seriously, I would recommend you get it done. Most likely the dealer will install correctly, and if not, its probably a 5 - 10 minute operation for them to fix. Or even the most rudimentary home mechanic could fix in as little time with basic tools.

Get it done, you won't regret it, and it won't mess up your steering. I promise...
Oh no, haven't you read all the posts about TTY fasteners? It'll explode if you remove your stabilizer and reinstall with the same hardware.......and yeah, that's all heavy sarcasm ;)

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
In the past two weeks I got 2 alignments.
Jeep was first steering straight with the steering wheel very much to the left. After first alignment it drive slightly to the left with steering wheel crooked to the right. Second alignment... steering is extremely crooked to the left and car goes very much to the right if I try to drive with straight steering wheel.
Called another dealer and they are now telling me that the recall that I thought had been done wasn’t actually taken care of since the selling dealer didn’t have the part.
3.5 weeks into ownership, 1362 miles, love my JLUR but driving is scary to say the least. Cross winds will literally push the steering a quarter turn to the right or left. Steering wheel wobbles at highway speed (and lower as well).
Having to wait another week for appointment with new dealer in San Jose. Fingers crossed they fix all of this.
Sponsored

Last edited: