Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Seems like that might be a bit close for comfort to any passenger, based on the 2-3’ distance mentioned above.
Good lookin out, I calculated based on worst case scenario, maximum wattage, antenna gain, and 50% duty cycle and came out to 12” as a safe radius. I use minimum wattage to maintain communication (usually 5w not 50w) I’m quite comfortable with the exposure levels, especially as the passenger compartment is mostly obscured by the A-pillar.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Good lookin out, I calculated based on worst case scenario, maximum wattage, antenna gain, and 50% duty cycle and came out to 12” as a safe radius. I use minimum wattage to maintain communication (usually 5w not 50w) I’m quite comfortable with the exposure levels, especially as the passenger compartment is mostly obscured by the A-pillar.
I'm suddenly reminded I really should do something with all that Ham knowledge I crammed into my head long enough to take an exam.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

James7701

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Here is my GMRS setup.
Happy New Year!
Larry

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 540335D9-3FEC-436C-B0F4-E153E1C76A12

Is that the Midland MXTA26 antenna? I just bought the MXT275 and I'm looking for a decent tailgate antenna mounting solution. I understand the whole ground plane vs NGP situation, just looking for input on your specific solution.

xefie

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Rubicon
Designed and built some mounts:

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 116C8F3B-AC2C-4D49-9245-EEBBD8A9D1FA

2m/70cm/GMRS to the left, HF/CB to the right. They’re designed for use with the top off (a fastback top might also be OK), but they’re decent with the hardtop on.

Grounding was a bit of a pain. Ended up snaking one wire down through the tailgate hinge area to the body isolator frame bolt, and another along the top of the body and then down to the ground stud near the rear passenger door.

I have the other four prototypes out for powder coat, then I need to figure out if I want to leave the paw cut-outs as-is, or add a bikini pearl insert..

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Designed and built some mounts:

Jeep Wrangler JL GMRS antenna mounting 116C8F3B-AC2C-4D49-9245-EEBBD8A9D1FA

2m/70cm/GMRS to the left, HF/CB to the right. They’re designed for use with the top off (a fastback top might also be OK), but they’re decent with the hardtop on.

Grounding was a bit of a pain. Ended up snaking one wire down through the tailgate hinge area to the body isolator frame bolt, and another along the top of the body and then down to the ground stud near the rear passenger door.

I have the other four prototypes out for powder coat, then I need to figure out if I want to leave the paw cut-outs as-is, or add a bikini pearl insert..
That looks like a rocket launcher

JocoRubicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Once I upgraded my tailgate to the CavFab carrier, my Krackin mounts for antennas didn't work any more (expected result of the upgrade). So after looking a while and contemplating making something, AAL released their new A Pillar mounts. I had thought it would be a great place for mounting the antenna but with the KC bar, most of the stuff on the market wasnt viable. These bolt right in and work great. Modular so I have the ability to mount antennas on either side and got their pod light mounts. Not sure what I'm going to do longer term with it all but have the Midland 3db antenna hooked up to my new MTX575. Very solid mount, worked great last weekend up at WIndrock TN

AAL_apillar.jpg

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Once I upgraded my tailgate to the CavFab carrier, my Krackin mounts for antennas didn't work any more (expected result of the upgrade). So after looking a while and contemplating making something, AAL released their new A Pillar mounts. I had thought it would be a great place for mounting the antenna but with the KC bar, most of the stuff on the market wasnt viable. These bolt right in and work great. Modular so I have the ability to mount antennas on either side and got their pod light mounts. Not sure what I'm going to do longer term with it all but have the Midland 3db antenna hooked up to my new MTX575. Very solid mount, worked great last weekend up at WIndrock TN
That looks different than the Cowl antenna mounts I see on their website.
https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-cowl-antenna-bracket/

Then I found them here. Very nice.
https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-jt-cowl-accessory-brackets/

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a midlandx275 yesterday with the stealth stubby and rugged radio cowl mount. Took me 15 minutes. It's a lot more staticy than I was hoping for but I'm hearing people States away right now, hopefully it's crystal clearish on jeep runs.
Sponsored