Fuel Range Estimate

themattparty

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed how wacky and inaccurate the Fuel Range estimate is? I’ll park my car overnight and it will be at 100 miles till empty then start the next morning and be at 70. It’s especially frustrating when I’m driving and range starts dropping significantly. I’ll drive 4 miles but my range drops by 25. My Rubi is still stock (sad I know) so it’s not due to tires or a lift. I’m just wondering if there might be some calibration needed or software glitch? I know the fuel range is just an estimate but I don’t get how it can change so much.
Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed how wacky and inaccurate the Fuel Range estimate is? I’ll park my car overnight and it will be at 100 miles till empty then start the next morning and be at 70. It’s especially frustrating when I’m driving and range starts dropping significantly. I’ll drive 4 miles but my range drops by 25. My Rubi is still stock (sad I know) so it’s not due to tires or a lift. I’m just wondering if there might be some calibration needed or software glitch? I know the fuel range is just an estimate but I don’t get how it can change so much.
Mine does the same thing. I will have a 356 mile range estimate on my instrument then after I drive 12 miles home it will give me an estimate range of 355 miles. just a 1 mile difference. I believe the range estimate constantly calibrates depending on how fast you drive and under what conditions. I don't put any thought into the range estimate there is a lot of information on the instrument panel I just don't understand. I just look at my Gas gauge.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’s an estimate. It’s also dynamic, affected by ever changing conditions. It tends to err on the side of being conservative so you don’t run out of gas. You may notice that when the tank is low it’s more prone to big shifts in range. Park on a steep incline facing downhill with only a couple of gallons and it’ll give you one reading, park facing uphill and it’ll go the other way. Due to the way the sensor is reading how much fuel is left. Drive WOT with little fuel and it dips. Drive like there’s an egg under your accelerator and it rises. Every car with a driving range calculation does this to some degree.

When the gauge says Its all the way empty you still have 2 to 3 gallons of fuel left.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
One day last week, I ended my driving for the day as I pulled up to my house retuning from work (12 mile commute). Estimated mileage remaining on dash was 75.

No problem... right.

Next morning. Heavy frost. So I went to remote start the Jeep before I went outside. It would not work. Thought it was odd. Then I went out to start it. Before I did I saw on the dash a message that said something like remote start terminated because of low fuel.

started the Jeep. Estimate mileage remaining. 30 miles....

No problem right.... Less than two miles from the house. 20 miles remaining.....

Oh boy.....

made it to the gas station fine but I was sweating it

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I get within 240-250 miles per tank almost every single time. I usually base it off the trip meter, when I fill up it always tells me I can go nearly 400 miles, which seems impossible to me. It definitely does change based on your driving though. If you are lower on gas and baby it then you'll see it doesn't go down much.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I was stuck behind someone at a parking lot gate who forgot their pass at home. I was on a ramp pointing down. I watched my fuel gauge and range go from 150km down to 0km remaining in about a minute haha. The fuel level sensor must be in the back of the tank lol.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I was stuck behind someone at a parking lot gate who forgot their pass at home. I was on a ramp pointing down. I watched my fuel gauge and range go from 150km down to 0km remaining in about a minute haha. The fuel level sensor must be in the back of the tank lol.
Happened to me on a trail and I got REAL worried.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
My guess would be that the computer starts with a baseline that is factory stock, so if you put on tires as big as the truck and drive 5 minutes it re computes. If you drive stock vehicle it is pretty accurate. Just a guess.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
One day last week, I ended my driving for the day as I pulled up to my house retuning from work (12 mile commute). Estimated mileage remaining on dash was 75.

No problem... right.

Next morning. Heavy frost. So I went to remote start the Jeep before I went outside. It would not work. Thought it was odd. Then I went out to start it. Before I did I saw on the dash a message that said something like remote start terminated because of low fuel.

started the Jeep. Estimate mileage remaining. 30 miles....

No problem right.... Less than two miles from the house. 20 miles remaining.....

Oh boy.....

made it to the gas station fine but I was sweating it

Hi themattparty and cOtter,
I'm sorry to hear this, and I can certainly see why this might be inconvenient. I do recommend consulting your dealer regarding this concern. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to our team privately.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
21.5 Gallons. 15 mpg estimate. Range at full: 320 miles. Range at 3/4: 240 miles. Range at 1/2: 160 miles. Range at 1/4: 80 miles. Below 1/4 of a tank? PUT GAS IN THE TANK! Towing? Drop to 9 mpg and recalc.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
24-27mpg hwy on the flat.
14-15mpg hwy on the flat w/ heavy wind :(

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The JK was much better for gauging how many miles you can get out of a tank. On the JK I would usually go about 330 miles before gassing up with no issues.

The JL seems to be all over. I can't gauge it. What I can say is I'm getting maybe 220 miles before having to gas up. About 11 miles per gallon in my 2020. Much worse mpg than the JK, yet FCA claims it gets better mpg.

My 2019 JLUR was getting 16 MPG so idk what happened with the 2020.
Sponsored