Sponsored

What's up with the variance in fuel range?!

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Cliffs Notes:

OP “Why does the miles per tank (a container full of gallons of fuel) change?”

Response “Because your miles per gallon (of fuel in your tank) have changed based on various factors.”

OP “This is over your heads. This has nothing to do with miles per gallon.”

Response “It is an estimate of how many miles per gallon you will get from a full tank.”

OP “Is this true?!?!”
Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Agreed. The computer recalculated the RTE based on recent mpg.
Just to confirm this is correct. On a road trip and after filling up 300 miles later(all highway driving) the range is back up to the low 300's(initial range was 326 after fill). At home commuting the range after fill is about 265.
20181110_100504.jpg

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Not complaining...but what's up with such a variance in fuel tank range after I fill up?

When I first bought my Rubicon I remember the range would be in the 315-330 miles(to empty).

Now when i fill up my range varies greatly from lower 260-290??

I make sure to top it off the same every time i fill up and always costs the same.

I can see maybe a few miles off here and there, but why high range when new but now low varying ranges?

Any thoughts or the same for others?
Depends on ur most most recent mpg that reads on the little screen

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Wow way over everyone's head here. I'm not talking about gas mileage...????!!
u actually are talking exactly about that ... the amount of gallons before refuel ...this is how gas milage is caculated

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Just to confirm this is correct. On a road trip and after filling up 300 miles later(all highway driving) the range is back up to the low 300's(initial range was 326 after fill). At home commuting the range after fill is about 265.
20181110_100504.jpg
I did a pretty retentive mpg computation on my JL since I bought it new.. 18 to 19 street 26on highway only. When on the highway that number ur talking about begins to climb while driving because its counting that ur going to use less fuel due to less stopping and starting. i'm on around my tenth tank full by now and can say with absolute certainty that screen there is an overestimate around 99% of the time. I know for certain that what reads is going to be off by -1 to -3 miles per gallon. This will affect miles till refuel just the same.