Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I get it. More play time. My only point was that a jeep JL can probably go half again further than a CJ and no matter what range you have, you still have to manage your fuel.
True story, if you mistakenly pass a fuel station on the US 50 the Loneliest HYW, you might end up fueling up at some Podunk station out in the middle of the desert that charges $1.50 more per gallon and your Jeep might take 20.4 gallons of fuel into a 21 gallon tank.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
True story, if you mistakenly pass a fuel station on the US 50 the Loneliest HYW, you might end up fueling up at some Podunk station out in the middle of the desert that charges $1.50 more per gallon and your Jeep might take 20.4 gallons of fuel into a 21 gallon tank.
Yeah, NV is an incredibly desolate place. I've crisscrossed the interior several times on 2 lane blacktops. A couple years ago, I was coming back from hunting in Idaho and traversed from north to south down the middle. I was towing my JLUR with my 14 GMC PU. Definitely had to watch fuel.

Ted, you mentioned you may be moving now that you retired. Where are you thinking? We retired in the past couple years and may be looking outside CA, mainly for taxes. We pay 13% to CA to take money out of our 401s and IRAs. Maybe a year or two from now it could be our plate. For now, my wife is a caretaker for her elderly mother and my work asked if I could come back part time to help with the max return to service (I figure about a year). NV looks inviting, because of no income tax. The LV area is the obvious place, but the summers are brutal. Maybe we'll become snowbirds.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
The diesel exhaust seem like a no go zone. Not sure where they can put a tank.
On the JT they could put it where the spare goes like they have for the 4Runner.
On the JL it will be tough to find a spot.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Yeah, NV is an incredibly desolate place. I've crisscrossed the interior several times on 2 lane blacktops. A couple years ago, I was coming back from hunting in Idaho and traversed from north to south down the middle. I was towing my JLUR with my 14 GMC PU. Definitely had to watch fuel.

Ted, you mentioned you may be moving now that you retired. Where are you thinking? We retired in the past couple years and may be looking outside CA, mainly for taxes. We pay 13% to CA to take money out of our 401s and IRAs. Maybe a year or two from now it could be our plate. For now, my wife is a caretaker for her elderly mother and my work asked if I could come back part time to help with the max return to service (I figure about a year). NV looks inviting, because of no income tax. The LV area is the obvious place, but the summers are brutal. Maybe we'll become snowbirds.
Right now, St. George and Hurricane as well as Moab or Northern NV are on ny radar. We will not make a decision until after we have wheeled from Arizona to Alaska. What we are looking for of course is more favorable tax situations in retirement and something with a lot of blue sky days and minimal snow. Here is Michigan it is common for the sky to be overcast for weeks and months at a time in the late fall until the late spring. My wife and I both like red rocks and green trees. The heat and the cold does not bother me at all. The funny thing is I can be outside all day in zero degree weather and not get cold, I have buds that poke fun at me because I plow snow on the tractor in crocks, shorts and a t-shirt. Yet they never notice that the heat doesn't bother me either. Hell it can be 98 degrees with hi humidity and I am like all is well here. lol. I spent 8 days in Moab in July and love the dry heat.

So yeah, the plan is to move. It will be about 2 or 3 years out. Also need to figure out what to do with the house and property.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ted,
You might also look at the Gardnerville NV area. It's on the east side of the mountains an just a 30 min drive to Tahoe and about the same to Reno (airport to travel). They get cold but not much snow.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Ted,
You might also look at the Gardnerville NV area. It's on the east side of the mountains an just a 30 min drive to Tahoe and about the same to Reno (airport to travel). They get cold but not much snow.
I will have to look into that. We are not in a hurry to move, but it is part of the plan. I kind of want to rent a place so that we can easily move again if we want to. Plus in about 10 or so years we plan to move on to a 38 to 40 ft deisel trawler like this for a few years as we slowly do the
great Loop.

something like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Long Range Fuel Tank 1608033684830

In case you don't know what the Great Loop is..
Jeep Wrangler JL Long Range Fuel Tank 1608033753091

This will be when we have seen everything by Jeep that we want to see and we are ready for a new type of adventure. Dock/anchor out, off from small towns, explore and drink coffee as we boat around.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
I will have to look into that. We are not in a hurry to move, but it is part of the plan. I kind of want to rent a place so that we can easily move again if we want to. Plus in about 10 or so years we plan to move on to a 38 to 40 ft deisel trawler like this for a few years as we slowly do the
great Loop.

something like this.

In case you don't know what the Great Loop is..

This will be when we have seen everything by Jeep that we want to see and we are ready for a new type of adventure. Dock/anchor out, off from small towns, explore and drink coffee as we boat around.
Sadly, that's not going to work out for you :( You're going to need to go 65'-70' with a Hiab so you can hoist the Jeep aboard ... I mean it only makes sense right ??? ... LOL

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Sadly, that's not going to work out for you :( You're going to need to go 65'-70' with a Hiab so you can hoist the Jeep aboard ... I mean it only makes sense right ??? ... LOL
It makes perfect sense.
Sponsored