Sponsored

What's up with the variance in fuel range?!

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Not complaining...but what's up with such a variance in fuel tank range after I fill up?

When I first bought my Rubicon I remember the range would be in the 315-330 miles(to empty).

Now when i fill up my range varies greatly from lower 260-290??

I make sure to top it off the same every time i fill up and always costs the same.

I can see maybe a few miles off here and there, but why high range when new but now low varying ranges?

Any thoughts or the same for others?
Sponsored

rjrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you added a lift, larger tires, steel bumpers, etc...if so the Pcm might be adjusting for this. If you added larger tires did you have the system recalibrated...do you do a lot of intown driving bs highway/freeway this will effect your avg mpg when the Pcm computes range at fill ups.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Have you been using the HVAC more, as temperatures drop? That can hurt fuel economy in 2 ways: it stops the ESS from engaging while the car is still below your target temp, and the engine has to work harder to heat the engine. And obviously this is amplified if you are using remote start to get the Jeep warmed up in the morning before leaving.

Also worth checking your tire PSI to make sure you are properly inflated for on-road driving.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
No you guys misunderstood...I'm not saying drop in gas mileage. I'm talking about when you fill up, the initial range, read original message again

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
have you been driving like a grandma and now like a teenager?

Sponsored

rjrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No you guys misunderstood...I'm not saying drop in gas mileage. I'm talking about when you fill up, the initial range, read original message again
Mpg will effect your range. My driving habits haven’t changed I avg 17.8-18mpg and when I fill up the range is about 315

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Wow way over everyone's head here. I'm not talking about gas mileage...????!!

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
When you fill up and then sit in Jeep and your range will give you a number without even moving the Jeep. Always differs sometimes 290 sometimes 260. Not talking mpg's I'm talking range it gives you when you fill up.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I get it. It's like the computer is haywire...same amount of gas but "full" calculates out as different potential miles until empty. I did pass reading comprehension.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you other than it sounds something may need calibrating, or maybe a sensor is bad?

rjrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow way over everyone's head here. I'm not talking about gas mileage...????!!
I think I know what you’re saying is you used to get a 315 or greater range when you filled up when you first bought it according to the range gage now when you fill up you’re getting lower. I get what you’re saying hopefully, but if you’ve modified your vehicle, changed driving habits, low tire pressure etc..the Pcm will re compute the range at fill ups if you’re mpg has changed. If that’s not what you’re talking about take it to your dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I get it. It's like the computer is haywire...same amount of gas but "full" calculates out as different potential miles until empty. I did pass reading comprehension.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you other than it sounds something may need calibrating, or maybe a sensor is bad?

@crazychile gets it!!!!

I wonder why??

krazyboi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2.0L
@crazychile gets it!!!!

I wonder why??
I have a feeling that everyone gets it. I think what they are trying to tell you is that the MPGs matter because it is used in calculating the range that is shown on your screen.

Also, not all gas dispensers fill the tank exactly the same.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling that everyone gets it. I think what they are trying to tell you is that the MPGs matter because it is used in calculating the range that is shown on your screen.

Also, not all gas dispensers fill the tank exactly the same.
This.....The range to empty(RTE) is calculated based on the recent MPG. So if your MPG has dropped, so will your RTE, even on a fresh fillup.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
This.....The range to empty(RTE) is calculated based on the recent MPG. So if your MPG has dropped, so will your RTE, even on a fresh fillup.
If true, best answer here

Thank you!!

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL

"Also, not all gas dispensers fill the tank exactly the same"

Huh??

A 20gallon tank is a 20 gallon tank no matter if filled by a straw or sump
Sponsored