Front camera option worth it?

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Funny thing is here in Australia the trail cam comes with the steel front bar, it's the only way to get it as it is a requirement with the steel bar as it has no parking sensors and the camera is the replacement for this. So far I've only used it for parking in front of the garage. Pic below was checking to see if the lightbar would block any vision.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? 20210402_125130
Sponsored

Living Good 357

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, 07 Dodge Cummins, 900 HP 72 Nova
The Jeep salesman wasn't sure if I could add the front camera as a stand-alone option, he wanted me to order the complete safety Advanced group, which I did not want that automatic braking and all the sensors. Thanks for your help

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
When you add the integrated off road front camera option, the ordering system will automatically add:

1.) 8.4" screen
2.) Alpine sound system
3.) LED lighting package
They are excellent at transferring money from your account into their account.
I can understand the 8.4" screen since the camera picture is shown on that. The Alpine sound automatically comes with the 8.4" screen package so you get it whether you want it or not.

Not sure why the LED lighting package is required but maybe it includes the wiring for the front camera?

Not really a problem in my case though, I would have ordered the other options anyway. And I really like the front camera and expect to love it when I get to use it on the trail, not just my garage.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Jeep salesman wasn't sure if I could add the front camera as a stand-alone option, he wanted me to order the complete safety Advanced group, which I did not want that automatic braking and all the sensors. Thanks for your help
It's ordered as the "Integrated Off-Road Camera". It is an option unto itself but will automatically add the 8.4" Radio (with Alpine Sound) and the LED lighting.

No safety packages are required for ordering the front camera.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Not sure why the LED lighting package is required but maybe it includes the wiring for the front camera?
I suppose it has to do with deproliferation of wiring harnesses (part numbers) at Toledo.

Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose it has to do with deproliferation of wiring harnesses (part numbers) at Toledo.
Deproliferation: An approach to preventing nuclear terrorism.

I'm confused as what a wiring harness has to do with nuclear terrorism?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Deproliferation: An approach to preventing nuclear terrorism.

I'm confused as what a wiring harness has to do with nuclear terrorism?

Definition: Supply Chain Management Trends, Supply Base Deproliferation, Long Term Contracts, Outsourcing

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
I don’t have this but from what you’ve seen here, the camera is mounted on the grill and points downward. I would get the Jeep option so the picture comes through the dash screen, although only if you have the 8”. Below that, it may be too small as are some of the aftermarkets, although I have bad eyes. From what I’ve looked at, it’s impossible or difficult and expensive to get an aftermarket to show up on the Jeep dash screen. But I have never tried.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I didn't want the Alpine sound system or the LED lighting package, and I was happy with my High def camera I used on my Nissan Frontier 4x4, so I decided to skip the factory tail camera. Now I'm thinking I need to sell my 2021 JLR so I can order one with the camera. It turns out my WiFi camera was fine for where the Nissan could go, but the JLR has less visibility and can go far more places. I'll be investing in one tons, full skids, winch, everything and don't want to start building if the factory camera provides a big advantage cresting and dropping off rocks. For 2022, you don't need to add all those options to get the camera.

There are 4 JLURs in my jeep club but none of them have the camera. I'm desperate how helpful the camera is on the rocks.

I have the front facing cam on my JLU and I honestly love it.
It points downwards and I use it when I'm cresting a peak or breaking over. It definitely helps. It's also useful with tire placement as it has a tread path layout that bends with the steering.
Sounds like I need to go through the PITA of selling and buying again. Luckily, If I put new wheels on it, I can sell it for what I paid. My current wheels are all scratched up. For the cost of 4 wheels and the hassle, sounds like the right call.

I have the factory camera on my JLUR and it has made a big difference both when you see nothing but sky in the windshield or while trying to maneuver rocks and boulders while going downhill. The camera is no substitute for your spotter, but certainly helps you know what lies ahead.
But it can minimize the times you do need a spotter. That's all I'm after. My phone is mounted on a 67 designs mount and often the sun glares my phone but not the factory screen.

When you add the integrated off road front camera option, the ordering system will automatically add:

1.) 8.4" screen
2.) Alpine sound system
3.) LED lighting package
For 2022, only the 8.4" screen is the only option and you don't need the Alpine or LED. But that's what kept me from ordering it last year.

Mixed reviews here, but I'll get the Gorilla Glass while I'm at it for $195.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Does anyone have experience with the front camera? I'll be ordering a new JL soon and I'm considering getting the front camera. Is it worth the money? My main concern is when you're climbing a steep hill and all you can see is the sky is that what you are going to see on the camera or will you be able to see the trail?
funny thing… with my JK I had multiple situations where having a little view below the hood would have been hugely helpful offroad but you just blindly trust what you think is there. Since I have bought a JL I have not had that situation on a trail, but I will. It’s not needed and is just a nice to have. I actually use it quite a bit for parking to get as close as possible for parallel parking or sometimes when facing vehicle pulls a bit into the spot you’re parking in and you want to make sure you don’t love tap someone.

I saw this post yesterday and today grabbed a couple pics to show what you get to see. To give you an idea of view it give, I have a very low profile bumper and a custom license plate mount that will house a 1.5in fairlead and Flatlink (so it sticks out a bit).

picture of what I was seeing from driver seat.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? F201EC08-970F-4EDD-9E55-13B107CF30DF

picture of what the camera lets me see.
Jeep Wrangler JL Front camera option worth it? DE9450D6-F1A7-4FDF-A7BE-DACFF2FC3BB5

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Anyone using this front camera to aid in hooking up to a towbar behind a motorhome?

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn’t an option in 2019 so added a camera myself.
It connects to the main screen, gives a decent view even with a stinger and auxiliary lights and best of all meant I didn’t have to choose between a camera or a lock.

F335DCFE-33A7-45F8-9478-279E8108B1A5.jpeg

CA14B471-DE73-4AEC-9F55-5ADB70784958.jpeg

75B44F21-E92D-4C0A-9462-B2BCFFBF378E.jpeg
Sponsored