Flat towing or Trailer?

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangle Sahara Unlimited
Having owned and flat towed 5 Wranglers over 85,000 miles behind a couple of Class A RVs....no issues or wear and tear...with trailers you have to deal with where to store it because most resorts don't allow you to keep empty trailers at your camp site....its a real PIA
I see you have a 2018 Sahara JLU. What wiring harness did you use? I read on a thread that it cancelled out his blind spot sonar.
Thank you, Jim
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I installed the Cooltech harness. The whole point is it breaks any connection to the Jeep while being towed. NOTHING on ours has been adversely affected.

Last edited:

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
My LJR towed flat towed okay until I went up to a 5" lift and then it started getting squirrelly following me, a lot of sway, didn't really feel safe. But for closer to stock dimensions flat towing worked great.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My JL tows great behind our 28’ F450 based motorhome. No issues, works great.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

We have had several different RV setups in the past. For serious wheeling, I like having the trailer as insurance in case something breaks on the Jeep and it can't be driven. This way, I can tow it home and fix it at my own garage rather than being at the mercy of waiting on a shop to fix it before I can return home. The other nice thing about a trailer is that I can chose whatever vehicle in my stable that I want to take with me on the trip. Flat towing generally requires vehicle specific tow bars.

Any campground that we are going to stay for more than a night requires reservations. We call ahead and ask about trailer storage and have rarely been told no. If we are, we just book someplace else. For quick overnight stops, pull through sites are big enough for us to get in and out of without unhooking.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I see you have a 2018 Sahara JLU. What wiring harness did you use? I read on a thread that it cancelled out his blind spot sonar.
Thank you, Jim
I have been using the mopar harness to flat tow my Sahara for 2 years with zero problems. Blind spot systems works fine.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I used a tow dolly for my YJ with no ill effects. Not sure why they recommend against it when the front axle can be disconnected 3 different ways. I would use it for the JL if I had to.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangle Sahara Unlimited
I have been using the mopar harness to flat tow my Sahara for 2 years with zero problems. Blind spot systems works fine.
Did you install the harness yourself?
Thank you so much

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Did you install the harness yourself?
Thank you so much
Yes.

Hardest part was fishing the wires through the firewall. Use silicone lube on the wires when pushing them through, makes it much easier to get them to slide.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I used to trailer a car behind the motorhome. I visit numerous state parks and many private parks. Trailering is nice going down the road plus you can back up if needed.

One of the disadvantages of trailering is sometimes finding a place to drop the trailer. Once, I had to drop my trailer several miles from my campsite.

Another disadvantage is loading, tieing down then reverse procedure once you are at your destination.
If the weather is bad, "been there" it really sucks trying to load or unload then do something with the trailer.

Flat towing, I can be hooked up or unhooked within a couple minutes. And I don't have to worry about doing something with the trailer.
Sponsored