Sponsored

Mopar RV Flat Towing Harness with Mopar Trailer Towing Harness

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
My 2023 JLU was outfitted with a trailer towing package from the factory. I am now considering adding a Mopar RV Towing Harness to the mix. I have looked at others but have decided to use the Mopar to avoid hacking a brand new harness or using diodes.

For those that have done the same are there any tips, tricks, or gotchas when it comes to making them work together? Do they daisy chain together into the tail light connectors or does the trailer harness connect somewhere else?

Thanks for an input.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
I went with the Curt Brand custom tail light wiring kit on my 21 JLURD with LED light package. $75 price range. No splicing required.
Flat 4-pin connecter up front, wires run full length to tail lights. Plug and play at the tail lights. 7 to 4 adapter.
Now, if you have the LED light package, read on.
You WILL have dead battery if you tow for long trips and/or at night. There are MANY threads on this.
The LED tail lights “wake” the Jeep up and kill the battery.
There are several fixes. Add a charge line for the battery, splice into the factory wiring, or disconnect the “sensor” wire at the tail lights.
CoolTech makes a switch that splices into the wires near the drivers seat.
I did the tail light wire disconnect (unplug and back out the connector).

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
I went with the Curt Brand custom tail light wiring kit on my 21 JLURD with LED light package. $75 price range. No splicing required.
Flat 4-pin connecter up front, wires run full length to tail lights. Plug and play at the tail lights. 7 to 4 adapter.
Now, if you have the LED light package, read on.
You WILL have dead battery if you tow for long trips and/or at night. There are MANY threads on this.
The LED tail lights “wake” the Jeep up and kill the battery.
There are several fixes. Add a charge line for the battery, splice into the factory wiring, or disconnect the “sensor” wire at the tail lights.
CoolTech makes a switch that splices into the wires near the drivers seat.
I did the tail light wire disconnect (unplug and back out the connector).
Thanks for the info but I have decided against a harness like the Curt that uses diodes or the Cooltech that requires hacking the harness.

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
I have a 12 volt charge line running to the connector on the back of my RV. The Mopar harness will use that to activate the relays in the harness. Pulling off that for a battery charge wire is incredibly simple. Dead battery issue solved…

Sponsored

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Back to the top... So the Jeep flat tow harness will provide power to keep the jeep from discharging ? Is it just powering the lights or is it charging the batteries?

Second question part # for a diesel..JL..I'll cut and splice longer for my JT.

Thanks.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

My 2023 JLU was outfitted with a trailer towing package from the factory. I am now considering adding a Mopar RV Towing Harness to the mix. I have looked at others but have decided to use the Mopar to avoid hacking a brand new harness or using diodes.

For those that have done the same are there any tips, tricks, or gotchas when it comes to making them work together? Do they daisy chain together into the tail light connectors or does the trailer harness connect somewhere else?

Thanks for an input.
Curious what braking system you’re using? Towing our 24’ 4Xe so I carried over the RVi3 portable from our 21’ and had the brake module firmware updated for active braking through RVi3 at no charge. I didn’t want to splice into the 4Xe braking. We added the wireless breakaway and RVi3 battery charge module and the TowMate wireless RF LED light bar. Using the Maximus-3 tow loops (3rd Jeep) so no base plate.

TMI but another way to go.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
Curious what braking system you’re using? Towing our 24’ 4Xe so I carried over the RVi3 portable from our 21’ and had the brake module firmware updated for active braking through RVi3 at no charge. I didn’t want to splice into the 4Xe braking. We added the wireless breakaway and RVi3 battery charge module and the TowMate wireless RF LED light bar. Using the Maximus-3 tow loops (3rd Jeep) so no base plate.

TMI but another way to go.
I went with the Cool Tech harness, Roadmaster brake switch, a RVI charger and a Demco Stay in Play Duo braking unit.

I have used a Stay in Play in my TJ with out any issues for over a decade. That reliability and ease of use that comes with a permanent mounted unit made the choice easy.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I used the cool tech. no big deal splicing wires. Totally reliable. I really liked the functionality. i thought I was a bonus not running wires all the way to the back. Less chance of getting snagged on something. Very nice and convenient 6 pin socket mounted in front.

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
Hello???

Back to the top... So the Jeep flat tow harness will provide power to keep the jeep from discharging ? Is it just powering the lights or is it charging the batteries?

Second question part # for a diesel..JL..I'll cut and splice longer for my JT.

Thanks.
Sponsored