First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I keep flip flopping on a centuries old CB with or Rugged Radios dual band (VHF/UHF) handhelds.
I would not pay Rugged Radios premium prices. They are just rebadged, lower cost radios. Supposedly they do extra stuff, but that does not seem to be the case once having them in hand.

Additionally, these require an amateur radio license, even though they don't make that exceptionally clear on their website.

Given that, I am a huge proponent of ham radio in offroading. Tons better than CB.
Sponsored

callerys

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1984 CJ7
Looks great. I have the same unit and am near trying to make some decisions on mounting the display unit.

William Hays

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 1985 CJ7
Occupation
Retired
Some nice installs.

FYI I found that
TAY-148014 - Taylor Braided Ground Straps
are a perfect fit for grounding the Swing Gate to the Tub. They are "heavy duty" tinned copper and 14" long. Purchased from Summit Racing.

I don't have any pictures taken during install. After install, it is totally hidden behind the OEM Swing Gate Cable.

With a little enlarging, I used the Flag hole in the Mopar Reinforcing Bracket for the antenna mount with a Firewire coax cable. Replace the OEM Firewire bolt with a longer 1 3/4" chrome plated bolt.
Enclosed the RG-58 coax inside 1/8" wire loom between the Swing Gate and Tub sandwiched between the OEM cable and the ground strap.

I also used the same Braided Grounding Straps to ground between:
* Tub to Frame
* Frame to Tail Pipe
* (4) Front and Rear "Body Mount" bypasses.

Also installed a 150 strand #8 AWG jumper between the Hood and Firewall.

Installed a DIN sized CRE 8900 radio on a overhead "CB BAR". I would not recommend a larger radio installed there.

Used (2) radio power sources. AUX 3 "ignition switched" for normal operation and AUX 4 "battery switched" for use with ignition off operation without having to power up other unneeded Jeep ACC loads.

73's
AE4QL

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I know some of you were waiting to see the installed pics so here you go...

Uniden CMX660
Wilson Flex 4' 5/8 wave
Firestick Firering coax
Custom mount

Radio works GREAT and I am pleased with how the install turned out.
I'm curious how you routed your wires to the back of the radio there. Do you have any photos of how you routed them? Pretty much in the process of doing the same install myself.

IMG_8066.jpg

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
The wires run under the plastic by the shifter and curve up to the radio. It helps if you use a coax with as short a connector as you can find.

-Eli

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

A couple of questions for anyone with the 660. I read that the display can be inverted, meaning you could mount it upside down so the mic cable came out to the right. Can anyone verify that? Also, how do the features compare to the 760? Really torn between which way to go. I had the full size Uniden in my TJ and it lasted for years.
Sponsored