Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, that was me...lol I figured I'd just ask 'em. They say that they will definitely have the items available for the JL. Was glad to see the receiver pin lock will be out soon as I'm picking up an offroad trailer next month.
Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
What “key” would you have to keep? It uses the ignition key. The alarm is a minimum what should be included as any car from the 90s had that. And trust me it’s all fun and games until you get back to your Jeep and the battery is gone
Not to you in particular... but why do we need a key? What the JL needs is a hood release in the passenger compartment like darn near every other modern vehicle on the planet.

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
A hood release in the cabin of a potential open cockpit is redundant.
If you want safety for you under hood/bonnet on a wrangler you need to use a keyed lock or a hidden pull cable lock.

OP
OP
MotoOverland

MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
Not to you in particular... but why do we need a key? What the JL needs is a hood release in the passenger compartment like darn near every other modern vehicle on the planet.
I think with any soft-top vehicle (especially a potentially engine bay accessory-heavy vehicle) like the Wrangler [BEING TOTALLY REDESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP OPERATING IN 2018] it was a missed opportunity to not provide a means of keeping the engine bay secure.

For an earlier commentor..... Jeeps don't stay in safe or familiar neighborhoods 24/7 (even if you live in one). Park your Jeep in a public outdoor lot OR a hotel lot while traveling and vehicle security is a real issue.

Seems odd with all the effort to redo the hood latching, and add the hood to the alarm triggers to not create a modern smart locking system for the hood.

Sponsored

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
i think you forget that some of us remove the doors. Now knowing that think about this again. Having a hood release in the standard position is not a secure way now is it? Don't you own a JKUR already, you never take the doors off?

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
i think you forget that some of us remove the doors. Now knowing that think about this again. Having a hood release in the standard position is not a secure way now is it? Don't you own a JKUR already, you never take the doors off?
Yes I did forget that. I always have my hard top and doors on. Next time I will engage my brain before I post. :)

cbasil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What I wanna know about the Bolt exterior hood lock, is how will they make the tumbler work with the new JL key?

If you have the Bolt hood lock, then you know how the tumbler learns each of our personal ignition key patterns when you insert your key for the first time. But the JL key is just a solid block with the pattern engraved into the side, like a VW/Audi key. Can they still make the Bolt system work with that style of key, or would you now need a separate key for the JL Bolt set up?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What I wanna know about the Bolt exterior hood lock, is how will they make the tumbler work with the new JL key?

If you have the Bolt hood lock, then you know how the tumbler learns each of our personal ignition key patterns when you insert your key for the first time. But the JL key is just a solid block with the pattern engraved into the side, like a VW/Audi key. Can they still make the Bolt system work with that style of key, or would you now need a separate key for the JL Bolt set up?
According to the mail I got from Bolt, they are working on a hood lock for the new JL. That, to me, would mean it would work with the center cut key. They have other locks that work with the center cut key. They did send me one link as an example of their receiver lock that they're coming out with...

https://www.boltlock.com/locks/5-8-inch-receiver-lock/5-8-inch-receiver-lock-jeep-center-cut

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
And, I had an e-mail discussion with Bolt about the JL. Long story short, he indicated that the receiver lock should be available within a month or two and the hood lock won't be available until the summer or fall of 2018. They want to see what, if anything, has changed with the mounting location on the JL. Guess I'll have to go without for a few months until they come out with it.
I know for a fact that Bolt had early access to the JL and got all the JL information they needed to manufacture the product. They are actually sourcing the MOPAR product and as we know, MOPAR cut the aftermarket out before the launch to get a head start. Bolt will be able to release their own branded product later this year for much fewer $$$ than what MOPAR is going to charge.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know for a fact that Bolt had early access to the JL and got all the JL information they needed to manufacture the product. They are actually sourcing the MOPAR product and as we know, MOPAR cut the aftermarket out before the launch to get a head start. Bolt will be able to release their own branded product later this year for much fewer $$$ than what MOPAR is going to charge.
And, I guess that's why they told me next month for the receiver lock and not until spring or summer for the hood lock. Probably under a 6 month hold from FCA before they can release their own branded product.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
And, I guess that's why they told me next month for the receiver lock and not until spring or summer for the hood lock. Probably under a 6 month hold from FCA before they can release their own branded product.
Yep!