Sponsored

Bolt hood lock with camera

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I have the front trail camera on my 2021. I want to secure the hood to prevent asshats. I originally was going to go with the Bolt hood lock, but see it mounts where my trail cam is. Any ideas for securing the hood? I feel the hood clasp locks are junk.
Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Pretty sure those are the only two options. install the lock and find a way to mount the camera under it.

i have the Bolt lock. I’d rather have that than the camera if I can only have one.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I'm in the same position. BOLT lock already installed and don't really want a nonoriginal key option. I wonder if BOLT will come out with an option.

One option would be to mount the camera elsewhere. I like this idea because the stock location doesn't really give you a great perspective. Those that mount it lower seem to get a better view of obstacles.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Hoping to revitalize this post…. Has anyone done anything successfully with this? I already have a Bolt lock installed. Now want to do the Z automotive trail camera. Can’t seem to find a lot from anyone on this. I did find a guy on the 4xe forum who mentions just mounting it to the side…. But he didn’t provide a lot of detail. Had anyone mounted it directly below? How did that work. Any pictures? How did it work? Any advice?

E4CD44D3-2F04-45B9-A109-0FCB66538E05.jpeg

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
My inner redneck is thinking a borescope feeding a tablet could be possible. Obviously it would involve a zip tie or Velcro.

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I just went for it. I already had the bolt lock installed. And I was able to mount the Z automotive camera right above it with no issue. Little bit tight, but it just pushes in as if Lock wasn’t there. Worked fine. I don’t have a picture handy. I’ll try to post when I get a second..

Racerxtx

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS and 2022 JLUS
Clubs

So, I just went for it. I already had the bolt lock installed. And I was able to mount the Z automotive camera right above it with no issue. Little bit tight, but it just pushes in as if Lock wasn’t there. Worked fine. I don’t have a picture handy. I’ll try to post when I get a second..
Please post a pic.
I'm working this same problem on a '24 grill and would like to see what you came up with.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s a little anti climatic but here it is…. I literally just cut out the space right above the lock. It just fits. But - absolutely no issues. Sorry I didn’t take a picture of it before mounting the camera……. Good luck with it.

IMG_1218.jpeg

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One additional comment, @Racerxtx , part of what I was nervous about was that the bolt insert is much thicker where the camera has to go in. But you can see from the picture, it just seemed to push down a bit and everything fit in place. So in short, I just did the cut exactly like they recommended when I was mounting the camera. And just more or less ignored the fact that I was using the bolt grill insert. It all came together. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Sponsored